who would use the "E-cigarette"?

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:18 am
I thought I would put this on the health section.

I have just discovered these e-cigs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-cigarette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18jmMNUBdM

I would like to try them out, and I could not say that I would use them in place of the real thing, I am just interested to know what others think.

Would you, have you tried these things out?

now there is an apparently safe way to "smoke" would you take it up?

why not just whear a nicotine patch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,432 • Replies: 9
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:30 am
Interesting.

I think the idea of using this rather than the patch is that you're able to engage in almost all the other cigarette rituals. Having something to hold, put in your mouth, pull out when you want a cigarette, like after meals, etc.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:33 am
Do they make an e-syringe? See, I've got this problem.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:07 am
I remember a very similar product from about 20 years ago. I was working as a bartender and I remember everyone trying them out.
existential potential

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@boomerang,
has anyone on this site tried this thing out? are they as good as a real smoke?
boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:26 am
@existential potential,
What I recall from the old version is that everyone who was trying it was smoking regular cigs after about a week.

Of course, that was a long time ago and doesn't mean this one won't help people quit.
chai2

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 01:46 pm
@boomerang,
Maybe they went back to smoking cigs because the fake cigarette didn't taste like their brand.

I quit a long time ago, but the only cigarette that could ever tempt me would be a Parliament. Make that a Parliament 100. I remember a 7-11 not carrying the 100's and I'd buy the regulars. yuck and ptu ptu ptu....

To use this to quit smoking would be ok with me, it would reinforce it wasn't a parliament, and I'd just end up giving them up altogether.

anyway, I'm for anything that might get a person to quit those stinking cancer sticks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:54 pm
@existential potential,
If you're still curious... yes. I've bought several versions. I don't believe they're any less addictive than regular smokes though, because they work the same way. I don't believe I'll ever buy another pack of cigarettes. I wrote in more detail about it here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:37 am
@boomerang,
My own recollection is that they were banned because some group was sure they could be easily converted to a "drug delivery system", which kind of conveyed the impression of an ICBM.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:07 pm
@roger,
Is quite true, I imagine, of any drug that is water soluble and still potent when 90-95% diluted. The e-cig is essentially a mini vaporizer. Like a super mini fog machine, really. It operates on essentially the same chemical formula, only with all food-grade ingredients, plus 1-6% concentrated nicotine.
0 Replies