feeling weak and lost weight

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:26 am
Hello, im a 24 year old male and i have been ill over the last 2-3 weeks.
it started with chest pain (heart beating really weird) so i went to the hospital they said ecg was normal.
again more pain and nearly passed out on the bus so i went back another ecg again normal. Again palpitations pain dizziness short breath thought i was dying so i called an ambulance they said i had low oxygen levels but ecg was ok.

Had blood tests they came back ok my doctor said im not anaemic or diabetic nor do i have angina and my heart is fine.

But i keep getting palpitations and i have lost over a stone in weight and im very hungry i do eat a lot but im feeling very run down and weak!

Please help me!

How can i healthily gain weight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,482 • Replies: 15
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:32 am
@Andyheath1984,
I suggest going to a different doctor.
JPB

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 08:06 am
@Andyheath1984,
Have you ever had panic attacks? How's your stress level?
Andyheath1984

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
@JPB,
im a little stressed but none more than usual! i keep getting twitching pains in my chest area and tight chested! how does a panic attack feel?

Andyheath1984

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@edgarblythe,
i have only just registered with him and seems to know hat he's talking about and iv'e seen 3 different docs at the hospital all said i was ok but im not!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:08 am
@Andyheath1984,
Different people describe them differently. Here's one description.

Quote:
Their panic attacks strike with no warning and involve an intense surge of fear and powerful symptoms " such as a pounding heartbeat, dizziness, or a sense of being smothered. The attacks can be terrifying, and many people may feel as if they're going crazy or dying. more info here

If you have been thoroughly checked for heart disease you may want to see someone about panic or anxiety disorders.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:24 am
It does sound like a panic attack, Andy. I've had them (although I haven't had them for years). Pound, pound, pounding heart, shortness of breath. Sometimes accompanied by nausea, sometimes by fear, sometimes not.

Healthy weight gain can be accomplished lots of ways. Were you overweight before you had this rapid loss? Or are you now underweight? I'm having a little trouble following that. Healthy weight gain is accomplished, paradoxically, almost the same way as healthy weight loss: good, healthy, varied food plus regular exercise. Exercise might also help you with panic.

Another thing -- you might want to lay off caffeine and sugar, even small amounts of them, as they are probably not doing you any favors.

Are you sleeping all right? Are you able to calm down in order to rest?
Andyheath1984

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:28 am
@jespah,
i was at my ideal weight now im under. what causes panic attacks i have never had them before
0 Replies

Andyheath1984

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:33 am
sometimes my legs feel like jelly i also feel quite hungry a lot of the time im eating but i get full quite quickly now so, what should i eat, bananas maybe!
jespah

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:47 am
@Andyheath1984,
Bananas are certainly good for you. You might want to add some fat and protein, like try having them on the side with an omelet. It can be just a one-egg omelet if that's all you feel like eating. Variety is really good and a little fat and protein will keep you from feeling too hungry between meals.

Panic attacks are caused by, well, just about anything. Probably not as definitive a statement as you'd like to read but there you have it. I used to get them when I had an awful job that I hated but the economy was such that I could not immediately leave it. I had a feeling of powerlessness. That's not the only reason you might have a panic attack but it is one. I don't want to ask you too many personal questions but if work or school or relationships are stressful, a panic attack could potentially ensue, although not always.
Andyheath1984

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:04 am
@jespah,
ive been feeling short of breath and having palpitations just sitting down or laying in bed maybe i have a chest infection but wouldn't that show on blood tests
Izzie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:14 am
@Andyheath1984,
Hey Andy...

Have you had any thyroid tests?

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/thyroid_problems/page3_em.htm

I'm afraid I don't know of anything else that could be causing this... certainly stress can cause your symptoms - and the more you worry, the worse you will feel. Can you get a second opinion from a regular doc (i.e. not hospital). We do have people on A2K who know a lot about thyroid probs who may be along later.

Try to relax as much as possible... as Jespah says - caffeine and sugar plus alcohol and tobacco... maybe a no-no at the moment until you feel better. Chest infections can be nasty. Are you on any antibiotics or medication to help with that?

edit: if you type in "thyroid problems" into the search box at the top right of the A2K screen, it will come up with a list of posts where others have had similar symptoms to you.

(Would still advise a second professional opinion tho.)
Andyheath1984

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
@Izzie,
ive had blood tests not sure if thyriods were tested my doc said my blood came back as normal. it feels like some one is poking my ribs and sitting on my chest not on any medication at all! should i be?
Izzie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 01:17 pm
@Andyheath1984,
Antibiotics are used for chest infections when you coughing up "ack stuff". Doctors don't always give antibiotics because they try to allow the body to fight off the infection.

If you have a "productive" cough or are wheezing (high pitched whistle when you breath out).... or a number of other symptoms - then they may prescribe antibiotics as this is more likely a bacterial infection. If all the blood tests have come back normal then it is difficult to say. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections, not viral infections.

You are obviously very concerned, for you and your wee step-daughter right now, and it's hard to know what to do if the docs are telling you everything is fine. You don't feel fine and your anxiety is showing here in your posts.

If I were you, I would call the doctor again - you are worried and the more you worry, the worse you are going to feel. Viral infections can go on for a long time, especially in the "flu" season.

I am not a medical person at all. Please do get medical advice. Don't be concerned if the doc thinks you are being overly concerned or protective - this is your health and the little girls - that is their job and you are the patient. Give 'em a quick call.
Andyheath1984

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
@Izzie,
thank you my little girl is fine now. but i keep gettin strange sensations in my chest eg. burning feeling in my chest tissue, poking sensation front back and side of my chest, tenderness on my sturnum, i can feel my heart beating its beating ok but very hard! tight chest difficult to breath my ribs are sore all these this are happening constantly and its getting me downi want my life back i cant play with my kids because of it!!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 10:06 am
I entered the symptoms you've described in your various posts into the Mayo Clinic's online symptom checker. You'll find the results here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptom-checker/DS00671/SYMPTOM=43DB0361-2A5D-9994-E5DA0A65D72A13BC

I suggest you review each of the possibilities to see which more closely match what you are experiencing. With that info in hand, contact your doctor again and give them an update of your current condition status and symptoms.

There isn't anything we can do here online for you other than make uneducated guesses and offer sympathy. You need to keep communicating with the doctors and ask for second opinions if you don't feel satisfied with the answers.

Where is your step daughter's mother in all this? If you are too weak to be your own best advocate to battle the medical systems in your local area, enlist your step daughter's mother for the job. When we're very we often need the help of another to do the constant follow up and communicating with professionals for us.

0 Replies