Going Out in the Cold

saab

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@gollum,
It can be much colder than that in the northen part of the world. If it had been dangerous our forefathers would not have survivied life up there.
If you are not used to being outside at all you might sneeze a couple of times when you get outside when it is 20 degrees F.
On the contrary it is good for you when you are dressed warm to be outside in cold weather.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:56 am
Going out in the cold, you can catch a cold.

Yeah, yeah, I know, that's just an old wives tale.

...'cept it ain't.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=8492

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
It can hurt you if you have asthma and don't cover your face. (cough cough, sputter sputter).

0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 02:30 pm
Eorl wisely wrote:

What about going out in the cold if I had a cold already?
Izzie

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 02:36 pm
@Francis,
Then you may get ice drops on the end of your nose! Wink
Francis

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:02 pm
@Izzie,
What if it's a dry cold?
Izzie

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:10 pm
@Francis,
You'll need some "Vicks" on your chest.... then you'll be just coco!

<good to see ya still around - feel better soon>
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:34 am
@Francis,
Francis facetiously wrote:

Eorl wisely wrote:

What about going out in the cold if I had a cold already?

I think you'd get worse, since the theory has something to do with surface capillary blood flow reduction (caused by the cold air) creating a less protected surface for the germs to reproduce in the sinus... summit like that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 12:07 pm
Here ya go, Gollum, this will cheer your up.

I was listening to a call-in show on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), and the topic was "What was the coldest weather you ever experienced?" One woman who called in described her experience in northern Québec, on Hudson's Bay, in the winter. She left her house to walk to work, a distance she described as about 750 yards (somewhat less than a half a mile). She was wearing soft contact lens and earrings. When she got to work, she had to be taken immediately to a clinic to remove the earrings, and then was flown out to southern Québec for surgery when it was determined that nothing could be done about the contact lenses. Her earrings and contacts had frozen, and the lenses had cracked on the surface of her eyes. One contact they were able to remove after it had thawed, but the other required surgery, and then corneal surgery to repair the damage that was done when it froze on the surface of her eye and then cracked. She still works in the arctic--she can no longer wear contact lenses.
0 Replies