Stand Up Against the war in Gaza.

Foofie

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 09:26 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Foofie,

Two things are very clear from your posts.

1) You have formed strong opinions about who is right and who is wrong.
2) You are ignorant about the basic facts of the conflict.

Strong opinions based on ignorance is a very dangerous combination.

I suggest you learn about the blockade that Israel maintains on the Gaza strip and how Egypt has been pressured into cooperating with this blockade before embarrassing yourself further.

Google will provide any number of unbiased descriptions of the situation... as well as the biased ones you have apparently already skimmed.

Boy, do you sound condescending in voicing your opinion about me. You believe I do not know the "basic facts" of the conflict, as you stated above. That is a red-herring, since it implies that if I knew the basic facts of the conflict, I would change my position. No. I would like the Israelis to not have rockets fired at them. That is not an ignorant position.

You have every right to your opinion. I have every right to my opinion. Both opinions are subjective. Just like I voted for McCain, and you might not have. Some might say my vote was based on ignorance? Making it incorrect? That is silly!

How does Israel pressure Egypt? That is silly.

The little secret, I believe, about this Israeli military action is that many people just cannot seem to accept the fact that these Israeli Jews are fighting back, and really upsetting the cognitive dissonance of so many people that see Jews as timid people.

In effect, I believe, many people argue against Israel from the position of the morality that they learned in religious or secular studies. However, some in Israel may be beyond morality, based on feeling quite connected to their history. They are involved with survival. Survival is quite different than morality. That is why we are talking at cross-purposes, and I believe you are possibly frustrated at my supposed level of knowledge of all the nuances of what led up to the conflict. Think of it as a prize fight. I am hoping for one fighter to win. If you do not like that position, please do not try to make me think I should be guilty because you may be the more moral individual regarding this topic.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 09:30 pm
Is it OK
if we just leave them alone
and mind out own business ?

David
Foofie

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 09:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Is it OK
if we just leave them alone
and mind out own business ?

David

Good point, I believe; however, many people like to question the affairs of Israel, since it implies, I believe, that these Jews are truly not independent, and should acquiesce to the concerns of a non-Jewish world. I think it is a hold-over from the feudal world when the King or Prince owned all the Jews in the Kingdom. Notice that then the peasants never questioned how the King or Prince utilized his Jews. The inference is then that today, common citizens have the prerogative of yesteryear's Kings or Princes. Perhaps, it reflects a form of modern day entitlement?
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 12:22 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
...I believe; however, many people like to question the affairs of Israel, since it implies, I believe, that these Jews are truly not independent, and should acquiesce to the concerns of a non-Jewish world. I think it is a hold-over from the feudal world when the King or Prince owned all the Jews in the Kingdom. Notice that then the peasants never questioned how the King or Prince utilized his Jews. The inference is then that today, common citizens have the prerogative of yesteryear's Kings or Princes. Perhaps, it reflects a form of modern day entitlement?

What on earth are you raving about here? Confused Rolling Eyes

What on earth does this have to do with the subject of this thread? Confused Confused
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:34 pm
@msolga,
A letter to the editor published today in my morning paper:

Quote:
A plea for reason in the Middle East

ISN'T it time both Israel and Hamas were reminded that a war crime is a war crime? Just because weapons were hidden in synagogues in pre-state Israel does not make it OK for Hamas to store weapons in mosques, as alleged by Israel. Just because Hamas launches its rockets to coincide with Israeli children travelling to school does not make it any less repugnant for Israel to launch its own form of shock and awe at the equivalent time in Gaza.

And, yes, Israel has been using anti-personnel weapons like cluster bombs. But that is no reason for Hamas to pack ball bearings into its Qassam rockets as in the one that hit the house of a friend of mine in a border kibbutz. (Luckily he had left 10 minutes earlier.) That Hamas rockets have killed 15 Israelis in the past four years is no excuse to kill scores of Gazan civilians in a single week. The excuse that "they did it first" is no justification for ignoring human rights law and committing war crimes.

Sol Salbe, Maidstone

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/letters/what-about-the-other-victims-20090102-792l.html?page=-1
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 08:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

I'm more agreeable to standing up against HAMAS.

Typical repub chickenshit warhawk.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 08:35 pm
@msolga,
I believe the person that the post was commenting to understands my soliloquy. If you do not, I commiserate.
msolga

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 01:36 am
@Foofie,
I still don't see what relevance it has to the subject of the thread.
But anyway ....
0 Replies