The 10 Best Foods You Aren't Eating

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 09:54 pm
The 10 Best Foods You Aren't Eating
Want To Do Your Body a World of Good? It's as Easy as Expanding Your Grocery List.

Here's the list, but read the article for more information on each.

1. Beets
2. Cabbage
3. Guava
4. Swiss chard
5. Cinnamon
6. Purslane
7. Pomegranate juice
8. Goji berries
9. Dried plums
10. Pumpkin seeds
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,975 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The only reason I'm not eating my favorites on that list is because the various food fads have priced them out of reach. Grocery stores used to practically beg you to buy guavas and pomegranates. Now they're over 2 bucks each at the store. I miss all the fruit trees I grew up with!
I buy whole cinnamon sticks in 5 pound bulk packages and gnaw on them for months afterwards. I've probably eaten several tree's worth in my lifetime.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Chew on cinnamon sticks? Tell me more about this, if there is more to tell.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:13 pm
I love red beets. They're messy though and I rather buy them in a jar.
I also eat cabbage (as every Kraut does) and have taking a liking to Pomegranate juice lately. I eat prunes occasionally and do sprinkle cinnamon on apples or other fruits. Pumpkin seeds are great in salads and I use them often. I never ate guava, only tried guava juice and I never had purslane or goji berries. I shall try that. Swiss chard is bitter, I don't like it.

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
I love fresh beets also.

They aren't messy (that messy) if you simply scrub them and cook them in a covered dish in the microwave with maybe 1/2 cup water for 15-20 minutes.

Some places you can get orange beets, they don't bleed.

Cabbage is good also, and cheap
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
I've never eaten a guava. I used to live in Miami. The lady next door had a guava tree and didn't pick up the fallen fruit. If you had ever smelled a putrifying guava, you wouldn't either. Kind of like the odor of limburger cheese wearing dirty socks.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I also eat cabbage (as every Kraut does) ...

Old German master mechanic my brother use to work for was working for Adolf Hitler on an 88 battery on the Russian front in 44 and 45, spent two or three years in Germany after the war and then came here somehow or other when he was about 17 or 18. He told me that the whole countryside was blown apart so bad in 45 that about the only thing anybody could make grow for two or three years was cabbage, i.e. that they had sauer kraut for breakfast, fried sauer kraut for lunch, barbequed or roasted sauer kraut for dinner and maybe if they were lucky fricasseed sauer kraut for sunday dinner and that anybody who lived through that **** would rather die than eat sauer kraut; he specifically said that most of the people who lived through that couldn't be made to eat sauer kraut at gun point.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:24 pm
@roger,
Worse yet is that many times natural guavas (no pesticide) in the tropics have worms in them, and if you've ever bitten into one to find them...
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:25 pm
@roger,
It is something I've done all my life. We even used to get bundles of cinnamon sticks as birthday and Christmas gifts from BBB because we were forever raiding her spice pantry for them.

They're hugely overpriced in grocery stores. I started buying them in bulk from Pensey's Spices and then found them at an even cheaper price at BulkFoods.com and started ordering them in 5 pound lots for nearly the same price as a 1 pound lot at Pensey's.

I guess you could say it is my version of chewing tobacco. Wink They were a great help when I quit smoking.

They also make really good tea. I simmer a handful of sticks in water for about 10 minutes. Don't need anything else, and sometimes need to dillute it a bit with water. The whole stick is good roughage too.

If given a choice between something made with chocolate or something made with cinnamon, my first choice has always been cinnamon.
chai2

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
oh god
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Just checked, safeway.com has McCormick Cinnamon sticks for $5.12 per ounce.

At bulkfoods.com you get a whole pound of them for $7.06.

By the way, they have raw pumpkin seeds for $5.27 a pound, pitted prunes for $5.83 a pound, Goji berries for $15.94 a pound.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:26 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
I also eat cabbage (as every Kraut does) ...

Old German master mechanic my brother use to work for was working for Adolf Hitler on an 88 battery on the Russian front in 44 and 45, spent two or three years in Germany after the war and then came here somehow or other when he was about 17 or 18. He told me that the whole countryside was blown apart so bad in 45 that about the only thing anybody could make grow for two or three years was cabbage, i.e. that they had sauer kraut for breakfast, fried sauer kraut for lunch, barbequed or roasted sauer kraut for dinner and maybe if they were lucky fricasseed sauer kraut for sunday dinner and that anybody who lived through that **** would rather die than eat sauer kraut; he specifically said that most of the people who lived through that couldn't be made to eat sauer kraut at gun point.

Someone watched too many war movies, eh?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Worse yet is that many times natural guavas (no pesticide) in the tropics have worms in them, and if you've ever bitten into one to find them...

Scratch guava from the menu too!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Is this "beets" you guys are talking about what we call "beetroot"?

http://www.regionalfood.com.au/produce/images/aug05/beetroot420.jpg

If so, it is lovely grated raw into salads.

I was excited to find my first UNSUGARED cans of beetroot in the supermarket the other day!!! The cans of it here are normally sweetened unbelievably.

I have several nestling in my pantry.

Eating cinnamon sticks just like that?

Erm...well......on ya.

I love prunes.......and goji berries are being marketed here...but cost a bomb.

Purslane? Swiss chard?....googling...

Ah...swiss chard is silverbeet.

Have a bunch of homegrown in my fridge.

I have been drinking pomegranate juice a bit......sure makes your mouth pucker up.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:08 am
@dlowan,
Ayep, them be beets.

I can't stand 'em. One of the very few veggies I do not like at all, if I have to, I can eat them if they are smothered in a dressing that hides their taste, but only if the bits are small enough to swallow without chewing.

Just priced pomegranates at safeway.com. They're $2.50 each now. Geez, and to think we used to have so many that they rotted on the tree before we could eat them all.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:30 am
The neat thing about making tea with cinnamon sticks is you can reuse them repeatedly until they just don't have any more flavor. Just let them dry out between uses. It makes a really good iced tea too. The best thing about it is it is zero calories and needs no sweetening.

Foofie

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
Should number eleven be peanut butter?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 08:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think I eat all of these except the chard, I hate chard. Some like guava, goji and pomegranate I only get in juice form, they are nice added to iced tea instead of sugar. Purslane is a noxious weed in my book, but I sometimes put it in a salad. Pssst...dried plums aka prunes, but don't tell the children.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 08:34 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Old German master mechanic my brother use to work for was working for Adolf Hitler on an 88 battery on the Russian front in 44 and 45, spent two or three years in Germany after the war and then came here somehow or other when he was about 17 or 18.
your math is about as good as anything else you come up with
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 08:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm not wild about swiss chard or Goji berries, but the other items are pretty regular features on my menu here.
0 Replies