Inscription for Thoth tattoo

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:18 pm
I would like some insight on how to render "Magic is only method that is not yet understood" into Latin. I have gotten "veneficus est tantum ratio ut est nondum agnosco" from a bot, but I don't like it because 1) "veneficus" has a negative connotation; I want to use "magia" instead; 2) I prefer "modo" for method; 3) I like "conceptum" better than "agnosco". The best I can do so far is: "MAGIA MODUM MODO NONDUM CONCEPTUM EST." I'm not sure if I got my cases right. Does the direct object take the accusative case? Or does it agree with the subject and take nominative? Or am I completely off base and this is an appellation?? I forget. Also, "modum modo" seems a little redundant, but those are the two words that I find fit the nuances of the orginal English best; I'm not sure there are suitable alternatives.

Any ideas? (This is for my next tat so it has to be rock solid. I don't want to bother my prof with this because I don't want him to think I'm a fruitcake!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,332 • Replies: 3
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:21 pm
@Fides Scientiae,
agic-May is-yay only-yay ethod-may ath-thay is-yay ot-nay et-yay understood-yay

that looks about right
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:30 pm
@Fides Scientiae,
You may want to work on the English sentence first: "Magic is just science not yet understood" probably translates better into Latin.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:55 pm
@Fides Scientiae,
Given your restrictions I would say you're just about there.
I'd place "modo" before "modum" and add "quod".
Magia modo modum quod nondum conceptum est.

Of course, you want to have someone else review this before
committing it to a tattoo.
0 Replies