A good husband and father.

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 06:40 am
What traits make a man a good husband and a good father?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 6
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:28 am
@ebrown p,
I imagine it varies depending on the person answering. I'll go out on a limb, though, and say that a good husband or father loves his wife (or husband) and child(ren), takes an active interest in them, and is involved in their lives and cares about what is best for them. I keep it non-specific on purpose.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:33 am
a simple generic answer could be -
a person who is honest enough to stay present in a relationship no matter what

someone who respects himself because that is how you learn to respect the people you are with. Out of respect you can make good decisions and should be able to act towards someone in a good manner.

Someone who is reliable .

and someone who WANTS to make a relationship work. Anyone can BE in a relationship, but you have to WANT one to put forth the effort it will take to keep it going. This goes for parent child relationships too.. not just adult to adult
DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:47 am
@shewolfnm,
Ah, the ancient dichotomy of being vs. becoming.

A large part of being good husband and father is the attempt to become a better one.

Honesty, affection, reliability, and attention are all necessary traits.

Willingness to learn, and striving to overcome shortcomings.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:47 am
a good father supports and protects his wife and children. For those who feel that such a view is paternalistic oppression....though
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:53 am
@hawkeye10,
I think the desire to protect is a basic desire for all men. You guys are hard wired for that. It isnt oppression. It is natural.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:56 am
@shewolfnm,
agreed, tens of thousands of years of genetic code building is not undone by the theory of feminism.
0 Replies