Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:54 pm
(1) What is "bull's eye"?

The context: There was a policeman not far off, advancing with his bull's eye open; and at the sight, I thought my visitor started and made greater haste.

(I guess the bull means "the policeman is an exceptionally large, strong, and aggressive person." Am I on the right track?)

(2) I only know the abbreviation M.D. is Medical Doctor, don't know what is D.C.L., LL.D., F.R.S., & c.. Would you like to tell me?

The context: ... it provided not only that, in case of the decease of Henry Jekyll, M.D., D.C.L., LL.D., F.R.S., & c., all his possessions were to pass into the hands of his `friend and benefactor Edward Hyde' ...

TIA.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,134 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:58 pm
Nope. This usage of bullseye is almost obsolete. It refers to the style of kerosine or candle lantern with a single opening and reflector that functions as a spotlight.

Can't help with the various abbreviated honorifics and degrees. I always mess up on a few of them.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:44 am
Thank you Roger.

Now I think I have got the abbreviated honorifics and degrees: Smile

D.C.L. = Doctor of Civil Law

LL.D may mean Juris.
See LLM
abbr. Latin
Legum Magister (Master of Laws).
So LL.D = Doctor of Laws = Juris

F.R.S. = Fellow of the Royal Society

I guess "& c." means " and other honorifics and degrees", right? So c.= ? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:49 am
"&" stands for the latin "et", so this is an antiquated abbreviation: "& c." means what "etc." means today--et cetera, from latin, "and so forth" . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:50 am
Roger is correct about the bullseye lantern by the way, and you will find it referred to as a dark lantern also.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:14 pm
I just read an excellent description of a bulls-eye lantern, or dark lantern, in Patricia Cornwell's

Here are a couple brief excerpts:
Quote:
...a dangerous, cumbersome device comprised of a steel cylinder ten inches high. ... The magnifying lens wass three inches in diameter and made of thick, rounded, ground glass, and inside the lamp were a small oil pan and wick.

(the author lights the lantern and) ...I held my hand in front of the lantern and at a distance of six inches could barely see a trace of my palm....

...The typical Victorian may not have had a clue about the inadequacy of bull's-eye lanterns. Magazines ... showed constables shining intense beams into the darkest corners...

The author explains that, in the nicer parts of town, the lanterns were unneccessary. Only in the "forbidden places" did constables carry these lights, and most people didn't venture into those areas.

oristar (or anyone else), if you wish to learn more about London in this period (late 1880's), this book is an excellent, well-researched source. At the time of the Ripper murders, the stage play of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde was very popular, and is mentioned several times.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:21 am
Good job.
Thank you Wy.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:30 pm
No problem! and happy reading!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:29 am
Thanks, Setanta. I never even wondered about etc. Just used it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:50 am
Maybe should put this on a new thread or look it up myself, but that wouldn't be as much fun.

BUT

Why, in a situation where we object to something occurring we say
"...in a pig's eye."

as:

"Your daugther Annie is going marry this fellow named Allen."
"In a pig's eye she is!!"

"It is our intent, Mr. Rathbone, to remove you as administrator."
"In a pig's eye, Professor Brown.!!"

"Why don't you just google it, Joe?"
"In a --- no, see? It doesn't work there."

0 Replies