Put your foot down and step, put your foot down and step...

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 09:12 pm
Tonight I fessed up to Mr. B about these weird "episodes" I've been having more frequently where I feel this disconnect between my brain and my body.

He flipped out.

I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow but I'm kind of flipped out and nervous.

But I will call so don't tell me I need to call the doctor.

I'm just wondering.... has anyone ever felt such a disconnect? Like you have to really think about telling your body what to do? Like your vision is all messed up? Like you know you're walking like a drunk but you're not drunk?

And then it passes and you feel normal?

Any reassurance?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 2,463 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 09:15 pm
@boomerang,
Don't want to scare you Boomer, but those are the symptoms of small strokes in the brain.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 09:18 pm
@boomerang,
agreed, not good, girl...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 09:33 pm
I will log in to wait for you to keep us posted. My best wishes, naturally.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:47 am
I have read about such things. Get to the doc and fill us in!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:16 am
@boomerang,
((((((((((((((((((((((Boomer))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:37 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Any reassurance?

If you haven't had this associated with one side of your body, I'd be more likely to infer that there is something wrong with your middle ear. It controls balance - there are a number of conditions that can cause that sort of disorientation (ie real difficulty in telling 'up' from 'down').

Don't panic. Even mild strokes would have other symptoms such as headaches, loss of speech, vision loss, paralysis, numbness - which are indistinguishable from a hangover, really.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:59 am
@boomerang,
I have no idea of what this might mean, either, boomerang, but I'd be nervous about it, too, if this was happening to me. How long have you been experiencing this?
I'm hoping the visit to the doctor puts your mind at ease & that you feel much better after it.
Letty

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:28 am
@msolga,
boomer, my sister had one of these and she recovered nicely. Check it out.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:54 am
About 6 years ago I had things like that happening to me.
i would sound drunk ( according to Mr) forget where i was, drop things and all round just be.. missing.. physically.

For me, it WAS inner ear. It would be accompanied by buzzing sometimes.. in my head/body. Like electricity. Just a quick.. BBzzzttt.. then i was a zombie . The buzzing was not always there, but the behavior was.

I have not had either in a long time.. but I remember feeling like i was not in control of my body. falling for no reason, not hearing what was going on.. it was odd.
I hope that is all it is for you Boom.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 08:59 am
Ear and eye problems... check.

I have high ocular pressure. Years ago when they first noted it they worried about glaucom but after years of monitoring with no change it is now just considered normal pressure for my eyes.

I also once had an ocular migrane, which they thought might be an aneurism. Thankfully it was just a weird eyeball headache.

And I have had problems with my ear checked over the years too. Sometimes my ear hurts on the outside of my head but they've never found anything.

I would not have thought either kind of problem might result in my intermittent zombifacation. Now I know to bring both of those things up with my doctor. Thanks!

It does feel a bit like being drunk, shewolf, but different. I know I probably look drunk for the few minutes while whatever it is happens.

Once the rest of the city opens up and gets to work I'll call the doc.
alex240101

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:08 am
@boomerang,
Good luck boomerang.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:29 am
@boomerang,
Since you WILL be calling the doctor anyway, I'll go ahead and offer my reassurance... I've experienced that kind of thing before. It was when I was having an especially hard time as a teenager -- going deaf, etc. (Not physiological though, so far as I know, and while deaf = ear, I didn't have any typical inner ear problems like balance, etc.) I'd be sitting down and tell my body to get up and it just wouldn't. I'd get really mad at it, glaring at my immovable hands -- up, up! Then I'd suddenly actually get up, and feel normal after that.

I always associated it with depression, though I don't know for sure what it was about.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:44 am
The inner ear thing seems like a good probability, Boomer, but the closest I have come to experiencing what you are describing was as Soz suggested: symptoms of reactive depression which is usually temporary. But good that you're seeing the doc and getting a good diagnosis so that you can fix it or know that it is a short term thing that will go away on its own.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:16 am
waiting to hear what happens
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:21 am
Because of the weather none of the doctors are in today so I have an appointment for Monday morning, weather permitting.

I'm sure by then I'll be completely back to normal and they won't be able to figure anything out. I would probably end up blowing it off again except now Mr. B will be nagging me about it.

Anyway....

I'm not going to worry about it. I feel positively reassured that it's something with my ears or eyes and not with my brain.

I'll let you guys know what the doc says next week.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 02:40 pm
boom, just because you may feel normal when you go to the doctor, they can still tell if something is wrong via an MRI.

I'll be thinking about you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:39 pm
boomerang

Just posting to wish you good luck. I think your doctor's visit is today?
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:42 pm
@msolga,
.... Sorry, just realized it isn't Monday yet, where you are ... So good luck for tomorrow! Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:42 pm
Nah.... My appointment was supposed to be tomorrow "weather permitting" but this weather isn't going to permit anything. It will take a week just to dig my car out of the snow!

Luckily my head is keeping pretty clear.

It will probably be next week at the earliest before I get a chance to see the doctor.