Swimming in the nude: Is it safe?

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 11:49 pm
I am 16 a sophomore in high school, and this has been my longest relationship so far. Me and my girlfriend want to get as close as possible without having sex, we are going to wait for that until it is safe. My question is that we were planning on having a late night swim in her pool with our suits off. I am wondering if it is safe to get close in the pool naked, and if she can get pregnant if we are touching, like maybe if my genital is on her stomach or something, but we are not going to make sexual contact. Please respond to this ASAP, i want to make sure its safe to do before it happens. Again we will be touching eachother but we will avoid sexual contact. Can she get pregnant if there is sperm in the water or something? Is this safe to do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 9,196 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 11:57 pm
@gd-fanatic-13,
http://teenadvice.about.com/od/amipregnant/a/FAQteenpreg1.htm

You'll find answers to your questions at the above site.

Basically, no, she won't become pregnant from sperm floating around in the water.

For someone wishing to be very proactive in seeking information about being "safe," your plans are very risky.

By the way, what does this mean?

Quote:
Me and my girlfriend want to get as close as possible without having sex, we are going to wait for that until it is safe.

What is it you are waiting for in order for it to be safe?

Where will her parents be while the two of you are late night swimming in their pool?
gd-fanatic-13

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:02 am
@Butrflynet,
We are going to wait to have sex until we actually are ready for it and want kids. And i dont know about her parents, they will be away. It's not like were gonna do it while they're right there lol.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:05 am
@gd-fanatic-13,
Well, good luck. You'll find answers to your questions at that link above.

Since this is the winter time, I hope the water in the pool is heated or you'll need to be more concerned about shrinkage than pregnancy.
gd-fanatic-13

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:06 am
@Butrflynet,
Hah yea Razz No its gonna be in the summer. The pool is outdoors
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:09 am
@gd-fanatic-13,
Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, summer is six months off so why the request to answer ASAP? Long-range planning?
gd-fanatic-13

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:11 am
@Butrflynet,
Yes indeed. Thanks for your help tho. I went to the link and it said sperm cannot travel through water and make sombody pregnant. Very Appreciated!
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:14 am
@gd-fanatic-13,
Use the next six months to stock up on condoms and study a little about reproductive biology.

Here's a good place to start. It even has pictures! Wink

http://www.howstuffworks.com/human-reproduction.htm
gd-fanatic-13

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:24 am
@Butrflynet,
oh yippe! lol thanks. i know how sex works and everything like that, i just wanted to make sure swimming in the nude was safe
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:24 am
@gd-fanatic-13,
yeah - except if you're swimming in the nude - you may end up getting a little more stimulated than you'd expected so that there may end up being closer contact than you'd planned for - and the sperm wouldn't have to swim through the water - know what I'm saying?

so butterfly's suggestion of being prepared is a good one.
sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:36 am
@aidan,
Yep, that's what I was thinking, too. This is obviously highly anticipated (six months in advance...?!) and things may well progress further and faster in that situation than you expect.

Even if you think now, "No, I'd never do that," that's not how it tends to work. There have been studies about how different our brains are in cold states (sitting in front of a computer) and hot states (pressed up against a naked girlfriend, with no parents around). The studies often have to do with exactly this situation -- people who plan to avoid having sex but then get themselves in "hot state" situations.

Can get the studies and stuff if you're interested. My advice is in two parts:

- If you really, really feel strongly about not having sex, don't put yourself in that situation.

- If you go ahead and do it anyway, be sure you have a backup plan available (i.e. condoms).
gd-fanatic-13

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:24 pm
@sozobe,
hey thanks. yea i know that temptations are strong, and our minds can easily be changed. so if we do it i think i will wear a condom just to be extra safe. thanks for your input!
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:33 pm
@gd-fanatic-13,
<smacks forehead>

No, don't wear a condom when you swim, wear one if it goes beyond that. Part of using a condom the right way is putting it on at the right time because flaccidity at any point after you put the condom on can cause slippage, and slippage can break the condom.

But who am I kidding, a teenager might be able to put it on the day beforehand without any problems... (that's a joke, don't do it)
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:41 pm
Is it just me or is Sexual Education severly lacking in our schools?

THIS is why abstinence only education will never work.
Bella Dea

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:49 pm
@maporsche,
I was just about to say the same thing.

It's very sad that a 16 year old doesn't know this. However, I do applaud him for asking.

It's the first step to being mature enough to have sex; knowing what you're getting into.

I know you say you want to wait but seriously, go buy a box of condoms to keep on hand (not in your wallet) just in case you do decide in the heat of the moment to have sex. You'll be prepared and won't end up making a mistake that could cost you the rest of your childhood.
gd-fanatic-13

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:55 pm
@Bella Dea,
I know how sex works and all lol. I'm just makin sure that wouldnt cause pregnancy. But i totallu get you that things could change in the heat of the moment. Thanks Smile
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:59 pm
@gd-fanatic-13,
I know what you're saying, but it should be common knowledge at your age that sperm cannot swim around a chlorine filled pool and up your woman's vagina to get her pregnant.

Not your fault, and great job asking, but schools should really be teaching this.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:19 pm
@gd-fanatic-13,
Here's some more homework for ya, stud.

http://healthguide.howstuffworks.com/condoms-dictionary.htm

This one has pictures too. You'll read up on how reliable they are, how they work, how they can fail, and how to put one on and then remove it after use.

Please do yourself a favor and don't assume you know all there is to know about reproduction biology. From everything you've written here, there are large gaps in the information you've acquired. It won't hurt to review the information at those links I provided; and you will probably learn something useful to make it safer and more pleasurable for the both of you once you both decide it is the right time for it.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here are a few things that will help you take measure of your knowledge and readiness. Feel free to share the results here or just keep them private.

Take the true or false quiz of common sex myths and misunderstandings and find out if you really know as much about sex as you think you do.

http://teenadvice.about.com/library/teenquiz/23/blsexknowledgequiz.htm

45 questions that will help you decide if you are ready to become sexually active.

http://teenadvice.about.com/library/blsextest1.htm

QUIZ: Are you a pregnancy waiting to happen?

A quick and easy True or False quiz to help you determine if you are at risk for unwanted pregnancy.

http://teenadvice.about.com/library/teenquiz/9/blpregnancyquiz.htm

QUIZ: Are you STD Savvy?

Take our fast and easy 14 question quiz to test your knowledge of STDs and STD symptoms.

http://teenadvice.about.com/library/teenquiz/6/blstdquiz.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:41 pm
By the way, you don't say how old your girlfriend is and this has not yet been mentioned. You should make yourself aware of what is known as the "Age of Consent" laws in your state.

This is a good starting place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

What does that mean?

When used in relation to sexual activity, the age of consent is the minimum age at which a person is considered to be legally competent of consenting to sexual acts. There are federal laws as well as individual state laws that vary from state to state.