Throwing Shoes at President Bush

aidan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:18 am
@Brandon9000,
Look Brandon - I'm just saying President Bush - likeable as he may be in many ways- is not the most forward thinking guy in the world.

Okay, picture this - what if the reporter who threw the shoes ends up being someone who's had a family member killed in a bombing? President Bush's joke about this man's size ten shoe will be interpreted as belittling this man's situation and pain - and it'll come back to bite him.

The same instinct and /or lack of sensitivty and insight that made him laugh this incident off - laudable and appropropriate as it may be in some situations - I happen to believe is the same instinct and/or lack of insight and forward thinking and planning that may have caused Mr. Bush such problems during his administration.

Yes - I'd rather be an American under Mr. Bush's presidency than an Iraqi under Sadaam Hussein's regime - hands down...I can't deny that...

I'm just saying I think Mr. Bush has an unfortunate propensity to speak before he thinks sometimes - and even I might add - not to think very strategically or deeply as well. That's all.

And we'll have to wait and see how Mr. Obama handles things - but if he's impulsive and insensitive in his speech - I'll happily admit that- I understand these leaders are human beings and lord knows I wouldn't want to have to change places with any of them.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:32 am
@aidan,

Less of this "politically correct sensitivity" is about the only
thing that can possibly turn this country around for the better.

This country has become a nation of forward thinking whining, crying pussies!
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:53 am
@H2O MAN,
so it's politically correct to try to empathize with the frustration of people who have witnessed tragedy and death in their homeland for the past five years?

I'm not whining and crying...I'd actually like to see the poor guy saved from his own ineptness sometimes - I think he's probably a pretty down to earth nice guy in the wrong job actually.

I don't know what political correctness is - seriously. What I call manners - other people call political correctness. What I call maturity- other people call political correctness. What I call civility and empathy and trying to implement the golden rule toward others - other people call political correctness.

Call it what you will - but I think he should have taken this guy's frustration (under the circumstances) a little more seriously - and I'm not a politically correct pussy.

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:54 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
And what is the "it" that he doesn't get? I repeat, if someone throws a tomato at Obama, does it mean that his policies were wrong?

Let him walk the streets of Baghdad, alone, if you think his policies were so dandy.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:58 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I'm not a politically correct pussy.

Good to know.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:20 am
@aidan,
If the only issue is circumspection in public speaking, then I have no comment about it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:21 am
@JTT,
Why? What would that have to do with assessing the correctness of his policies?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:48 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

You don't think that when your policies are so bad, people are moved to throw things at you; you don't think this is a sign of a problem with one's governance? That random people throw stuff at presidents who are doing a GOOD job?

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:10 am

All Americans should be proud of our president and how he handled this incident.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:11 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

All Americans should be proud of our president and how he handled this incident.

He's good at ducking, and little else. One of the only true things you've written, troll.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,

More truth... Cyclotroll is one of the whining, crying pussies I mentioned earlier.

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Are you clowns for real????

I nut who is upset and throws shoes is not indicative of anything but 1 nut being upset.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:36 pm
That man has more spine than all of the United States Congress.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

You don't think that when your policies are so bad, people are moved to throw things at you; you don't think this is a sign of a problem with one's governance? That random people throw stuff at presidents who are doing a GOOD job?

Cycloptichorn

Yes, random people throw things at people who are doing a good job. It's hardly a poll. I suppose that if FDR had walked through (or used his wheelchair) some bombed out section of Europe in WW2, some people might have vented by attacking him, but it hardly demonstrates that America was in the wrong in WW2.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Yes, random people throw things at people who are doing a good job. It's hardly a poll. I suppose that if FDR had walked through (or used his wheelchair) some bombed out section of Europe in WW2, some people might have vented by attacking him, but it hardly demonstrates that America was in the wrong in WW2.

Can you find evidence that previous presidents, who were doing a good job, have had things thrown at them by angry members of foreign countries?

I don't think random people throw their shoes at people who are doing a good job. I think that generally thrown items are reserved for those who have done a poor job. And it's perfectly appropriate for this case, as Bush has done a downright Shitty job and everybody agrees on this fact, including you, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:32 pm
If you really want to tell, just wait and watch Al Maliki. The journalist is becoming very popular and Al Maliki may not want to lose public appeal. Let's see whose loyalty is more valuable.

T
K
O
old europe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:34 pm
@Diest TKO,
Yep. The reaction to the incident will be more telling than the incident itself...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:38 pm
Quote:
Thousands of Iraqis protest arrest of shoe-throwing journalist

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2008/12/15/bush-shoe-protest-cp-598343.jpg

Thousands of Iraqis protested the detention of an Iraqi journalist who was arrested after he threw his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush during a news conference in Baghdad.

In Sadr City, thousands of supporters of radical Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr burned American flags to protest against Bush and called for the release of Muntadhar al-Zeidi.

"Bush, Bush, listen well: Two shoes on your head," the protesters chanted in unison.

In Najaf, a Shia holy city, some protesters threw their shoes at an American patrol as it passed by. Witnesses said the American troops did not respond and continued on their patrol.

Many others across the Middle East were hailing al-Zeidi as a hero for throwing his shoes, considered a sign of disrespect in some Arab nations. Newspapers across the Arab world on Monday printed front-page photos of the incident.

The station al-Zeidi works for, Al-Baghdadia, aired pleas to release the reporter.

"We have all been mobilized to work on releasing him, and all the organizations around the world are with us," said Abdel-Hameed al-Sayeh, the manager of Al-Baghdadia in Cairo, where the station is based.

Al-Zeidi is being held by Iraqi security. The Associated Press reported that he is being questioned as to whether he was paid by someone to throw his shoes and is being tested for drugs and alcohol. His shoes are being held as evidence.

During the news conference on Sunday, al-Zeidi, stood up and threw his shoes at Bush, who was able to dodge the flying footwear.

Security officials jumped on al-Zeid. As he was dragged away, he yelled, "This is your farewell kiss, you dog!"

Al-Zeidi, who is in his late 20s, was kidnapped by Shia militias on Nov. 16, 2007, and released three days later. His station said no ransom was paid and refused to discuss the case.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Can you find evidence that previous presidents, who were doing a good job, have had things thrown at them by angry members of foreign countries?

I don't think random people throw their shoes at people who are doing a good job. I think that generally thrown items are reserved for those who have done a poor job. And it's perfectly appropriate for this case, as Bush has done a downright Shitty job and everybody agrees on this fact, including you, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn

It's self-evident that people in war zones may be angry at people who started the war. It doesn't mean that the war is wrong. There are undoubtedly people who would like to throw things at Obama, and if one actually does so one day, it won't prove that Obama has done wrong.

It is also self-evident that everyone does not agree that Bush has done a bad job as president. He has millions of supporters.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:24 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

It's self-evident that people in war zones may be angry at people who started the war. It doesn't mean that the war is wrong. There are undoubtedly people who would like to throw things at Obama, and if one actually does so one day, it won't prove that Obama has done wrong.

It is also self-evident that everyone does not agree that Bush has done a bad job as president. He has millions of supporters.

What a joke. He doesn't have millions of supporters. He has practically nobody. There are a lot of party-line Republicans out there but they all detest bush as well.

I ask again: can you find evidence of this ever happening in the past to an American president?

Cycloptichorn