0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:56 am
@Butrflynet,
His reflexes aren't bad!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:31 am
The reporter is now being interogated, to learn if somebody paid him to do it. I shudder to think.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:16 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I think with the whole world watching (many agreeing with the act) the Iraqi gov't will restrain themselves. I'm sure the Bush people will not make a fuss.Wasn't this the point of liberating the Iraqi people? They now have the freedom to throw their shoes at political leaders they despise. We have won in Iraq!

Absolutely right, GW. You may not agree with it, but look at what has happened in Iraq. Can you imagine anyone attempting such a stunt if Saddam was still around? He'd have been in the wood chipper before daybreak.
patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:20 am
I think we're missing the real back story here. Several years ago, Bush was photographed in a meeting with a Saudi muckity muck with his legs crossed in such a way that the Saudi was facing the sole of Bush's shoe -- a grave insult, though unintentional and unremarked upon by the Saudi.

This reporter clearly is the Miss Manners of Iraq.

Another suicide bomber in Baghdad killed 9 police officers...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:29 am
@Ticomaya,
In exchange for thousands of lives and the contents of our treasury we have purchased a pair of shoes. Do you think the cost was too high, Ticomaya?
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:12 am
@Green Witch,
The cost of what?

Did a 5 year old tell you to ask that question or did you come with it all by yourself?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:07 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Can you imagine anyone attempting such a stunt if Saddam was still around? He'd have been in the wood chipper before daybreak.

Yes, compare that to the, what is it, thousands of innocents who have been detained in Guantanamo by the bastion of all that is right and decent.

Compare the numbers of Iraqis killed because of an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation to Saddam reign. They are much too close for comfort.

Do a recount of the number of Vietnamese murdered in order to save them for democracy, the women raped, children killed in Nicaragua, again, in order to save them for democracy.

Yup, Tico, just try. You don't even have to imagine, the facts are all right there in front of you.
Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:12 am
Is it not just conjecture that a message was being sent via shoe? It could have just been a mistranslation of the old maxim, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush." Is the word "shoe" and "bird" similar in Iraqi?
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:47 am
@JTT,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
@Ticomaya,
you so sounded like the sheriff from Fargo when you said that....
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:22 pm
BAGHDAD " An Iraqi journalist who hurled his shoes at President Bush and called him a dog became a huge celebrity in the Arab world and beyond on Monday, with many supporters exalting him for what they called a courageous act in the face of American arrogance about the war.

(December 15, 2008) Barely 24 hours after the journalist, Muntader al-Zaidi, was tackled and arrested for his actions at a Baghdad news conference, the shoe-throwing incident was generating front-page headlines and continuing television news coverage. A thinly veiled glee could be discerned in much of the reporting, especially in the places where anti-American sentiment runs deepest.

In Sadr City, the sprawling Baghdad suburb that has seen some of the most intense fighting between insurgents and American soldiers since the 2003 invasion, thousands of people marched in his defense. In Syria, he was hailed as a hero. In Libya, he was given an award for courage.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:29 pm
As someobody else has already observed on another thread, this was obviously an act of sabotage.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:00 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you so sounded like the sheriff from Fargo when you said that....

Must be my heavy Minnesota accent ....

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1796/fargo20woodchippervz1.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:45 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

In exchange for thousands of lives and the contents of our treasury we have purchased a pair of shoes. Do you think the cost was too high, Ticomaya?

I doubt Bush kept the shoes.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:52 pm
I should have thrown shoes at Nixon.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I should have thrown shoes at Nixon.

He already had heels.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:06 pm
Several people descended on the man immediately after, wrestling him to the ground, and it took a minute or two for security agents to clear the crowd and start hauling him out. As they dragged him off, he was moaning and screaming as if in pain. Later, a large blood trail could be seen on the carpet where he was dragged out of the room.

He was taken into custody and reportedly was being held for questioning by Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's guards and is being tested for alcohol and drugs.

Other Arab journalists and commentators, fed up with U.S. policy in the Middle East and Bush's decision to invade Iraq in 2003 to topple Saddam, echoed al-Zeidi's sentiments Monday. Abdel-Bari Atwan, editor of the influential London-based newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi, wrote on the newspaper's Web site that the incident was "a proper goodbye for a war criminal."

After a meeting with Hamid Karzai in the capital of Kabul, Bush said he told the president of Afghanistan: "You can count on the United States. Just like you've been able to count on this administration, you'll be able to count on the next administration as well."

hamburger

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar wrote :

Quote:
He was taken into custody and reportedly was being held for questioning by Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's guards ...

they wanted to know how he was able to afford to throw away a pair of shoes after the many years of war .
one of the guards asked that next time he throws shoes again to please throw them to him - he needs a pair .
hbg

was it a pair of these "hooked" shoes <GRIN> ?
a hit would have been rather painful ...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/423665/2/istockphoto_423665_arabian_shoes_5.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:46 am
@dlowan,

This guy is a big hero now in the ME, and somebody wants to buy the shoes for $10 million.