Illinois Governor Arrested

parados

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 08:09 am
@okie,
Geez okie.. You are taking a statement completely out of context. Why don't you post the question that Obama was asked along with his answer? Oh.. wait.. You won't do that because it shows how stupid your attempt is to take "contact" out of context.
okie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:57 pm
@parados,
We will begin to find out if Obama is as slick as Clinton. It depends upon what the meaning of contact is? Is mail, phone, email, or by messenger no longer contact?
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 01:03 am
According to ABC News' Senior White House Correspondent, Jake Tapper, Obama answered, "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening," when asked about what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate.
Jake Tapper's blog page
okie

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:48 am
@InfraBlue,
"....and so we were not,...."

I think too that I have overlooked that phrase. The "we" places alot more indication it was not just Obama, but it was his office, his staff, his assistants, all of the communication between the governor's office and staff with that of Obama's. Thats the way I would interpret it.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:36 pm
@okie,
I would interpret him saying, "and so we were not, I was not aware. . ." as correcting himself by being more specific as to who was not aware. Obama was not aware.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 05:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
Even if he wasnt aware, what does that say about him?
IF his staff was in contact with Blago, then he should have known about it.
He decried Bush for not being aware of what his staff was doing, now he seems to be saying he didnt know what his staff was doing.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 05:33 pm
@mysteryman,
We'll see what Obama's staff was doing when he releases his report tomorrow.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 05:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
Do you honestly think that if his staff was in improper, inappropriate contact with Blago that he would admit it?

He denies any contact between himself and Blago, yet there is photographic evidence that he met with Blago AFTER the election.
parados

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 06:23 pm
@okie,
I guess we already know what you think about him. You hate him as much as you do Clinton.
parados

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 06:28 pm
@mysteryman,
That's right. The denial proves he did it.

For someone that spends so much time talking about how those that hate the war only do so because they hate Bush, you certainly have a low standard when it comes to deciding Obama did something wrong.

Quote:

He denies any contact between himself and Blago
No, he denies any personal contact about the Senate seat. He was asked specifically about the Senate seat and was answering about that. To make his statement mean "all contact" is ridiculous.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 02:25 am
mysteryman wrote:
Do you honestly think that if his staff was in improper, inappropriate contact with Blago that he would admit it?

If he follows through on his promise of transparency, then yes he would.

Quote:
He denies any contact between himself and Blago, yet there is photographic evidence that he met with Blago AFTER the election.

Once again, mysteryman, according to ABC News' Senior White House Correspondent, Jake Tapper, Obama answered, "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening," when asked about what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate. Do you understand the specificity of the reply in regard to the question?
mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:31 am
@parados,
I dont hate anyone.
I dont hate Obama (I actually hope he turns out to be as good a president as everyone thinks he will be), and I dont now, nor have I ever, hated Clinton.

If you can find so much as one post where I said I did hate him, or where I posted anything hateful about him, I will give you $100.

I disliked his policies, but I didnt hate or dislike the person.
You need to learn the difference.
parados

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:33 am
@mysteryman,
Of course. If someone talks about Bush's policies, it means they hate him.
If someone talks about Obama's policies, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

You judge hatred of Bush based on dislike of his policies. You claim it is unfair if anyone judges your hatred based on disliking policies. You don't seem to get it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:36 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening

And if you are correct, then it goes back to what I said earlier.
Since he is in charge, he is supposed to know what his staff is doing.
If any member of his staff had contact with the gov about the seat, acting for Obama or not, then Obama is responsible and he should have been aware of it.

After all, in the military a commander is responsible for ALL of the actions of the people he commands, and Obama is responsible for all of the actions of the people under him in his staff.
So if his people were talking to Blago, and Obama didnt know about it, what does that say about his ability to control his own staff.
parados

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:39 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

This statement of yours is not based on policies. It seems to be a smear attempt based on ignoring the context of Obama's statement.

It looks similar to those that claim Bush lied about WMD. Bush's statements were clearly false. One needs only ignore the context of his statements to make the leap to claiming he intentionally lied. You are certainly claiming Obama intentionally lied by ignoring the context. I would call that hate. Wouldn't you MM?
parados

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:42 am
@mysteryman,
Wow.. what a weasel answer there MM.

You claim you have pictures of Obama meeting with Blago then when confronted on the incorrect nature of that accusation you simply change to a hypothetical accusation.

There is presently NO EVIDENCE of anyone on Obama's staff talking about buying or selling the Senate seat. Fitzgerald was pretty specific in NOT involving Obama in the action by Blago. Yet, here you are making a hypothetical that makes Obama responsible for something you have no evidence to support.

What do you call that MM if not hate?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:45 am
@parados,
Not at all.
I am not ignoring the context at all.
I have never claimed that Obama spoke with him about the senate seat, and I dont believe he did.
But, members of his staff have, and even if his staff members were acting on their own, since they work for Obama it can be suggested that they were speaking for him, even if it was unofficialy.

I will say it flat out, I do not believe that Obama ever spoke to Blago about the senate seat.
I am however saying that if anyone on his senior staff did, then Obama had to have known about it.
Unless, his staff is already going behind his back (which I find unlikely).
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:19 am
mysteryman wrote:
Since he is in charge, he is supposed to know what his staff is doing.
If any member of his staff had contact with the gov about the seat, acting for Obama or not, then Obama is responsible and he should have been aware of it.

After all, in the military a commander is responsible for ALL of the actions of the people he commands, and Obama is responsible for all of the actions of the people under him in his staff.
So if his people were talking to Blago, and Obama didnt know about it, what does that say about his ability to control his own staff.

In regard to his staff, Obama has stated that there had not been any inappropriate discussions between them and Blagojevich. It's certain that his staff talked about the senate seat with the gov., but that is to be expected when a seat is vacated. Obama had wanted to release his report about his staff's contacts with the gov. since last week, but the federal prosecutors asked that he put it off till today while they continued their investigation into the matter.

Quote:
I will say it flat out, I do not believe that Obama ever spoke to Blago about the senate seat.
I am however saying that if anyone on his senior staff did, then Obama had to have known about it.

Then what are you going on, and on about? You're making much ado about mere speculations.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:34 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

I guess we already know what you think about him. You hate him as much as you do Clinton.

I will never understand liberals completely. If I don't approve of you, or vote for you, or like what you are doing, you accuse me of of hating you. Can you not get over some kind of complex that you have, that demands everyone agree with you and put their stamp of approval on you as a human being? Good grief, grow up, I do not hate Obama, never did and never will, but I just do not agree with his philosophy or policies that I expect out of him. Neither do I hate Clinton, but I thought the country deserved more respect than he could bring to it as president. I thought Clinton was corrupt, but I never hated the man. Grow up, Parados.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:38 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Not at all.
I am not ignoring the context at all.
I have never claimed that Obama spoke with him about the senate seat, and I dont believe he did.
But, members of his staff have, and even if his staff members were acting on their own, since they work for Obama it can be suggested that they were speaking for him, even if it was unofficialy.

I don't understand what speaking to Blago about his senate seat (in person or through staff members) implies in terms of scandal or corruption. Is the expectation that Obama should not have had any contact with the governor of his state about his own senate replacement?