Gas is cheap now... go around the block, fer cripe's sake!

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 05:01 pm

back when you hadda takeout a small loan to filler-up, i could almost understand people
taking illegal shortcuts like going down the wrong way on a one-way street.

but now that gas is ultra-cheap, i'm still seeing these bad habits on the road...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,478 • Replies: 11

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 05:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
Bad habits die hard, Region. But I know exactly what you mean. It never fails to irritate me to be behind someone coming out of the supermarket parking lot who insists he's going to take a left turn and will wait forever for the traffic to clear enough so that he can frive across. I'm going in the same direction, left. But it's ever so much faster to take a right out of the lot, slip into the slowly moving traffic, then hook three rights around the block to be going in the same direction as the guy who was in front of me and is now probably behind me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 05:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Well, back to the guzzlers, but take every shortcut you can find. Actually, the real behemoths haven't come back as strongly as I had supposed. Man, do I envy the people who can choose between the Hummer and the Prius based on the daily cost of gas, and what's currently in style
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:53 pm
There was something on the radio talking about how there had been fewer fender benders when the price of gas was higher because people were trying to drive more fuel-efficiently. I know I was even more pissed off to be cut off because that menat I had to break my forward motion. Waste of gas. Now, I suppose people are also driving more aggressively again. Makes me wonder - if they KNOW that this kind of driving uses up more gas, why do they continue to drive that way?
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:58 pm
@littlek,
Your question assumes that people think about what they do. I consider that to be an assumption without merit.
littlek

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:33 pm
@Setanta,
indeed.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:15 pm
Personally, when I'm driving, the last thing on my mind is 'how much fuel am I using ?' The two thoughts in the front of my mind are: 'Is this car responding properly to my comands?' and 'Is that a flashing blue light in my rear-view mirror?'
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:56 am
@littlek,
Screw that. Every time I pull on the highway I like nailing the gas....

Yes, gas is cheap this month. Imma' buy me an Escalade, dawg!
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:15 am
Funny.....When gas went up the roof, I made it my business to compact my errands, so that I would use as little gas as possible. Now that gas is cheap, I find that the habit that I have developed is very efficient, not only monetarily, but in terms of time saved, so I am keeping up with it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:57 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Don't get me wrong, wasting gas when it's my own choice is fine.
hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:08 pm
@littlek,
so we'll probably drive to that cosy little country restaurant about 50 miles roundtrip for a nice lunch .
actually had never stopped going there about 4-5 times a year - but had driven less in the city .
hbg

our reward will be waiting at the WARING HOUSE RESTAURANT :

http://www.ontariosfinestinns.com/INNS/INNimages/inn_waring_cuisine.jpg
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:32 am
I just paid $3.17 for regular unleaded, haven't seen it this low in ages.
0 Replies