OJ, at least 15 years

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:44 pm
Former football great O.J. Simpson was sentenced today to at least 15 years in prison for his role in a confrontation in a Las Vegas hotel in 2007. Simpson told the judge before the sentence was read that he did not mean to hurt anyone and did not know he was doing anything illegal. "I didn't mean to steal anything from anybody."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,503 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:48 pm
@djjd62,
A bit of justice after many years? If one thing didn't get him another did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:00 pm
As badly as I wanted to see him convicted of murder, I feel this case should have called for the six year sentence.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:11 pm
This guy must be the biggest idiot on earth. He must have known that if he ever had to face a criminal court again, he'd get crucified.
Gargamel

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:16 pm
Fifteen years? That's kinda harsh.

It's not like he murdered somebody.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:26 pm
I just heard on ESPN that a total of 10 counts were charged and he got a minimum of 8 yrs with a max of 23 yrs. He's parole eligible in 5 yrs.

The judge of this fiasco said when it started that she didn't know if OJ was arrogant or ignorant. As the trial went on she learned the answer - that he was BOTH.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:28 pm
@Wilso,
He clearly thinks that he is made out of teflon. The quintessential proof of what what happens when a gifted athlete is given special treatment msot of his life and never hears the word "no"!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:38 pm
the initial report i saw was cnn, i just saw max 15, eligible for parole after 6
Woiyo9

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:47 pm
OH MY!!!!! Who will be looking for Nicole's killers if OJ is in the tank?

I know. OJ thinks the killer is already in jail and now he can look there!
NickFun

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:22 pm
@Woiyo9,
Indeed he will. And I'm sure that bastard will get what's coming to him!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:55 pm
@Wilso,
Evidently, this case in Las Vegas was tried as an independent crime from his past "crimes."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:57 pm
@djjd62,
Some are saying the minimum will be 16-years based on each charge that were based on different laws.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's the conflicting number of years some legal-beagles have determined as OJ's minimum sentence.

Quote:
The original courtroom drama
40 mins ago

So it wasn’t a high-speed freeway chase in a white Bronco, but O.J. Simpson's day in court certainly delivered on the drama.

The big news is that Simpson is going to prison for kidnapping and armed robbery and could serve as much as 33 years in prison. But equally interesting is what happened before the hefty sentence came down.

Today was the first time many of us actually heard O.J. Simpson say "I’m sorry" in a courtroom. His voice seemed to break and it looked like he was fighting back tears as he read a surprise statement to the judge. He explained: "I didn’t want to hurt anybody. I didn't know I was doing anything wrong ... I stand before you somewhat confused." Simpson continued for about five minutes, sometimes rambling, as he talked about how he was merely trying to recover property that had been stolen from his family.

And while this case had nothing to do with the circus-like "trial of the century" that consumed the country back in 1995, some familiar faces in today’s courtroom wouldn't let us forget the drama of those days.

Sydney Simpson, O.J.'s twenty-three year-old daughter who is old enough to remember the last trial, was there to see her father receive a sentence that will put him into prison for at least nine years. Emotions also ran high for the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, who made the trip to Las Vegas to watch the sentencing.

Ron's father, Fred Goldman, continues to believe O.J. Simpson murdered his son and wasn't moved by the apology. Goldman told reporters: "He committed a crime. He's gonna be where he belongs, with others of his kind, and he can complain there." Denise Brown, Nicole’s sister, said she is saddened about how the prison time will affect Sydney and her brother Justin.

And the drama may not be over. As AP pointed out, many attorneys who have watched this case from the beginning are still sorting out the complex series of consecutive and concurrent sentences to determine how much time Simpson got and how much he will actually serve. USA Today’s newsblog shows top newspapers from around the country are just as confused. None of them agree on how much time Simpson actually got. Is it 9 years like the New York Times reports? 15 according to the Washington Post? 16 as reported by the Los Angeles Times? Or is the Wall Street Journal the one to trust with a report of 33 years?

In the end, it might not matter. O.J. Simpson’s lawyer plans to appeal by arguing that a fair trial was nearly impossible after Simpson’s 1995 acquittal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:36 pm
@djjd62,
15 - 33 years, with credit for 64 days served
0 Replies