Reyn

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:59 am
@Reyn,
Does anybody else agree with me here?

Reyn wrote:
Here's my take on the sequence of events that will lead up to and happen after Jan 26th:

Harper will make good to let the opposition parties have some say in the upcoming budget (because he was surprised by the coalition idea by the other parties and it may have come off), enough so they will say "never mind then". This coalition idea will all blow over, like it never happened. There won't be an election. There won't be a vote of non-confidence. The budget will pass. Life will carry on. At least until the next bit of nonsense.

The end.

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:06 am
@Reyn,
reyn wrote :

Quote:

i wouldn't mind if the they all behave themselves , but if the start of the parliamentary season is an indication of what's to come there sure will be a lot of bickering .

elsie wayne - the old reformer - said recently : " the GG should lock them all in a shed and not let them out until they've agrred to co-operate with each other ! " .
since elsie was the one who brought harper into the reform party - he was her former assistant - , i found her comments rather surprising and on target .
they'll need a strong woman to kick them in the butt - never thought i'd say that ! Shocked Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:37 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Did you hear his remarks after he met the GG? . . . he kept speaking about the three parties whose interest is national, the implication being that the Bloc doesn't care about Canada, and then trying to suggest that he respects the Bloc and the people of Québec. Duceppe called him twelve kinds of liar after his speech.

I was quite surprised to hear him trying to minimize the Bloc that way and I was glad to see Duceppe come out fighting. As for Harper, once again we have arrogance at the helm and, frankly, I'm sick of it. I was hoping for a coalition just so he'd learn a valuable lesson about working together instead of acting like a dictator. Even though he's gotten his reprieve, he still has time to learn something here. I truly hope he makes use of this opportunity.

As to whether the coalition would work, well... probably not, in the long run. But it was great to see the three of them unified - just goes to show how badly they wanted Harper out. He is so arrogant it makes me want to grind my teeth.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:42 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I think the biggest problem the proposed coalition has, in terms of public perception, is Dion as PM. If the coalition is to survive, and improve upon the time available in the next six weeks, they should use it to come up with someone else to be PM.

Totally agree with this. I think Dion should have resigned and an interim leader appointed prior to the coalition news coming out. I don't know why he's so anxious to hang on when he's on his way out anyway. I admired some of his performance during the election and think that he's an intelligent man who cares about the country but sadly, he's just not tv material.

[/quote] I have no doubt that as soon as the House is back in session, the opposition is going to move no confidence, and that Harper will then call for a new election (which will p*ss people off), and try to throw the blame on the opposition. What will be interesting is to see if the GG will allow a coalition to form a new government if no confidence is move and passed, or whether she would allow Harper to fight a new election.

Any way you look at it, not a lot of productive work is being done by this House.
[/quote]

I don't think there will be another election. Everybody is in agreement that Canadians don't want it and I don't think it's really a viable option. The GG will have to allow a coalition govt if there's a no-confidence vote. She will have already given him his chance (proroguing) and in January it'll be the opposition's turn.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 05:00 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Reyn wrote:
Here's my take on the sequence of events that will lead up to and happen after Jan 26th:

Harper will make good to let the opposition parties have some say in the upcoming budget (because he was surprised by the coalition idea by the other parties and it may have come off), enough so they will say "never mind then". This coalition idea will all blow over, like it never happened. There won't be an election. There won't be a vote of non-confidence. The budget will pass. Life will carry on. At least until the next bit of nonsense.

The end.

No.

Only speaking for myself, of course.
Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:58 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
No.

Only speaking for myself, of course.

Care to expand a wee bit as to what scenario you think will happen?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 09:26 am
@Reyn,
Fabulous debate on the CBC right now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
@Reyn,
reyn wrote :

Quote:
Care to expand a wee bit as to what scenario you think will happen?

NO ! we'll let you hang there . we can be just as mean as the P.M - hadn't you noticed ? Wink
hbg
Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:31 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:
NO ! we'll let you hang there . we can be just as mean as the P.M - hadn't you noticed ? Wink

haha, Methinks you're apprehensive to stick your neck out and predict the outcome? Laughing

Quite frankly, I really believe the coalition stuff will all blow over in a short while.

If a credible person, like the two I mentioned previously, were at the Liberal helm, it may be a different story, or not.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:42 pm
@Reyn,
What Obama is doing is about as close to a coalition government one can find in this world of today.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:53 pm
@Reyn,
reyn wrote :

Quote:
If a credible person, like the two I mentioned previously, were at the Liberal helm, it may be a different story, or not.

i think it needs to be said :
WE CANADIANS ARE DECISIVE IN THE EXTREME ! Shocked Laughing
Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:46 pm
@hamburger,
C'mon, Mr. H, give us your prediction about what will happen in January, in regards to the present political situation.

No hiding in Ontario, eh?
hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 05:39 pm
@Reyn,
reyn :

imo the liberals will be fighting amongst themselves during the next weeks deciding if dion will have to go now and who should succeed him - temporarily .
they'll also have their hands full - and their pockets empty - with the upcoming leadership convention .
i believe the conservatives choose their plan of action - or in-action , if you will - very carefully to catch the liberals off guard and in a weak position .

as i said earlier , unless the election system is ever changed the leadership will always be in the hands of the liberals or the conservatives - it's a "hate-love"relationship .
there isn't much of a chance that those two parties would ever want to see an election system that benefits them both changed .

there'll be some nastiness and bitterness for some time , but MY GUESS is that the conservatives will survive - and the liberals might need a few years to find their bearings again .

that's my 2 cents CANADIAN worth of opinion .
hbg

SLEEP WELL ! the sun will still come up tomorrow ... it's my firm belief !

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 06:41 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:
... but MY GUESS is that the conservatives will survive...

So, Harper's budget will pass in January? And there will be no election?
hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:25 pm
@Reyn,
reyn wrote :

Quote:
So, Harper's budget will pass in January? And there will be no election?

that's my (un)educated guess . i think the liberals have enough to do to clean their own house . if dion is replaced as liberal leader before parliament reconvenes , i doubt that his signature means much .
ignatieff has already said that he would look at what the conservatives will have in the budget - he seems to sing from a different songbook .

btw my predictions have usually been correct - unless something "unforseen" happened , such as : politicians acting differently than i told them to - how dare they !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:55 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:
who should succeed him - temporarily

Gilles Duceppe!
Gilles Duceppe!
Gilles Duceppe!
Reyn

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 09:13 pm
@ehBeth,
What do you think, Mr. H? How could she have such thoughts? Surely not from her parents? Razz Wink Laughing
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 09:27 pm
@Reyn,
I was quoting from tonight's phone call Cool Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:05 pm
@Reyn,
reyn wrote :

Quote:
What do you think, Mr. H? How could she have such thoughts? Surely not from her parents?

we've spent a bit of time in "la belle province" over the years - on business and for pleasure . we were there last in may this year .
the people are friendly and there is no better food to be found ANYWHERE !!!
a great place to visit !
hbg

mrs h enjoying the hospitality of quebec city - may 2008

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6006/may2008maritimes044pv6.jpg

how did we get from a discussion about a coalition government to to the foood of quebec ?
well , the food of quebec is certainly tastier than any coalition government ! <GRIN>
djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:12 pm
dion out, ignatieff or rae in

new government in quebec

how will it end?

stay tuned for the next exciting installment of "as the government turns"

0 Replies