ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 06:47 pm
@Reyn,
Isn't the vote tomorrow morning at around 11 a.m.? Now that Iggie has said what he wants and hmmm some Conservative guy said they'd accept the conditions, I think they're on to a vote with the NDP and Bloc voting against all of it.

Time to send a "good luck Maria" email.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:06 pm
Set, Mr. H, and beth.....thanks for the info.

Will listen tomorrow.

In the meantime, anybody seen hide or hair of Mame?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:18 pm
@Reyn,
I think she's teaching a cat how to play jazz guitar, or something along that line.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:35 am
@Reyn,
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/mann057.gif
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:53 am
Has anybody been able to find out when the actual vote on this budget occurs? Or am I to assume that with the passing of the quarterly reporting that Harper is required to do, this assumes acceptance?

I'm thinking this is the case.
hamburger

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 04:51 pm
@Reyn,
i believe there still will be a vote - NDP and the bloc have said they will vote against budget , but doesn't seem to carry much weight now .
it's interseting that conservative newfoundland premier DANNY williams has asked the newfld. liberals to vote AGAINST the budget .

i also read that some (former) "ultra-conservatives" are not all all happy with harper and his deficit spending - monty solberg was the most outspoken one saying : "where are the conservative principles ? " (i guess they've taken a little holiday <GRIN>) .
hbg
Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:03 pm
@hamburger,
Hmm, okay, thanks for that. I wonder why it is so difficult to find out about this vote?
Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:27 pm
@Reyn,
Okay, finally I have found something via Canadian Press:

Quote:
MPs vote down Bloc budget amendment

January, 29, 2009 - 06:56 pm THE CANADIAN PRESS OTTAWA - The Harper government's budget has survived its first test.

The House of Commons voted Thursday to reject a Bloc Quebecois sub-amendment.

Only the Bloc and the NDP supported the proposed change.

The amendment would have forced the Conservative government to eliminate promised tax breaks and abandon plans for a national securities regulator.

It would also have enhanced Employment Insurance, provided direct assistance to manufacturers and forestry, and left untouched the existing pay equity and equalization formulas.

Attention now turns to the Liberal amendment to the budget, which is expected to pass Monday with the support of the Conservatives.

The Liberals are not calling for any substantive changes to the budget.

Their amendment would strictly require the government to table three progress reports - in late March, June and December - detailing the implementation and effectiveness of budget measures.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff has said the amendment is the equivalent of putting the Harper government "on probation."

Conservatives have said they'll support the amendment, while the Bloc and NDP are opposed.

So, according to above, it looks like Monday, Feb 2nd will be the defining vote.
Reyn

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:25 pm
@Reyn,
Apparently, not Monday, but Wednesday, Feb 4th is the day:

Quote:
"Canadians don't want another election, and they're tired of political games," the new Liberal leader, Michael Ignatieff, told a news conference. He said the government's deficit-laden budget, released on Tuesday, responded to the needs of the present.

"What (Canadians) want from me is political action that shows a sense of responsibility and I'm trying to do that," Ignatieff said.

He said he would present an amendment to the main budget motion on Wednesday afternoon requiring the government to report back on its budget implementation in March, June and December.

link to story

Mame, are you willing to accept loss on the bet at this point, or do we need to wait until Wednesday?
hamburger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 04:19 pm
@Reyn,
reyn :

watching our politicians in ottawa is almost as exiting as watching paint dry (or snow melt) .
hbg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
@Reyn,
The Liberal amendment to the federal budget passed in the House of Commons on Monday, 214-84. The Conservatives supported the motion, which calls for regular reports to Parliament on the budget's implementation and costs. Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff had said his party would only support the Conservative budget if the amendment was approved.
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:20 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
The Conservatives supported the [Liberals'] motion, which calls for regular reports to Parliament on the budget's implementation and costs.

Yeah . . . right . . . as though that means anything . . . and if Ignatieff doesn't like the report, or Harper fails to deliver, what then? Will Mikey call on his coalition buddies to bring down the government in a confidence vote? Oh yeah . . . there is no more coalition . . . Mikey doesn't have any buddies in the Commons.

The phony, self-serving SOB . . .
Reyn

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:28 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

The Liberal amendment to the federal budget passed in the House of Commons on Monday, 214-84. The Conservatives supported the motion, which calls for regular reports to Parliament on the budget's implementation and costs. Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff had said his party would only support the Conservative budget if the amendment was approved.

Hmm, I don't get it.

If you look two posts above yours, I have a news item that quotes the amendment day to be this coming Wednesday. Can you please have a look and explain this to me?
Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:54 pm
@Reyn,
I received this info via a CBC news alert this evening. You could check at cbc.ca
Reyn

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:07 pm
@Intrepid,
Yes, you are right. I read this article below just a few minutes ago. It confirms what you say, although it goes on to say that tomorrow, Tuesday, there will be a "passing in principle", whatever that means.

Quote:
OTTAWA - The federal budget is poised to win approval in principle Tuesday despite mounting anxiety among Liberals about propping up Stephen Harper's minority Conservative government.

A Liberal amendment to the budget sailed through the House of Commons on Monday night, supported by the Tories.

The amendment - requiring the government to submit periodic progress reports on the budget - was passed by a vote of 214 to 84, with the NDP and Bloc Quebecois voting against it.

link to story
So, I guess that is that.

All that remains is:

Mame wrote:

Okay, you're on. I think the budget won't pass, the coalition will be asked to form the next govt, so the only thing we agree on is that there will be no election.

Eat crow? Is that it? Pffft! Come on!

Whoever loses has to start a thread about how WRONG they were Smile Admit defeat in whatever way they chose but acknowledge how RIGHT the winner was - heh heh heh

I must see if I can direct her here. Wink
Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:11 pm
@Reyn,
Just a formality
Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:57 am
@Intrepid,
Yes, I see that now. Thanks!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:07 am
It appears that Ignatieff may have shat in his own nest. There have been reports on the CBC today that Liberal members will vote against the budget, even if it means that Ignatieff tries to expel them from the caucus. The apparently casus belli is equalization payments.
Mame

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:11 am
Hello and thanks for the direction here, Reyn Smile I said:

"Whoever loses has to start a thread about how WRONG they were Admit defeat in whatever way they chose but acknowledge how RIGHT the winner was - heh heh heh"

Ha ha ha - I was so WRONG, WRONG, WRONG and you were so right! I'll start a thread when I get home, if you like, but just now I'm off to work. Right after I eat some crow and humble pie. Smile

Have a great day, you right people, lol.

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:49 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Ha ha ha - I was so WRONG, WRONG, WRONG and you were so right! I'll start a thread when I get home, if you like, but just now I'm off to work. Right after I eat some crow and humble pie. Smile

Naw, you did a great job here. No need for a separate thread.

Hey, you're back to work? Whatcha doing now? In Calgary?
0 Replies