If your pet was a person. . .

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:33 pm
Probably! The spraying is, for someone with a sensitive nose, truly unbelievable. I could not stay in the living room... even after I cleaned and cleaned. Stupid, stupid stinky cats. And because of that I had to offer a vow of no more cats. Thank heavens Stripe appears to have several more years ahead of him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:59 pm
" .. a philosopher, Elvis, and Germaine Greer. What a trio!"

Yes, Roberta, it IS rather an odd combination. But then, none of them were planned ... Just other peoples' discards. But how wonderful for me! They are an absolute joy!

(psst, Roberta ... It's raining here in Melbourne! That WET stuff that we'd all forgotten about! Can't believe it.)
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:20 pm
We brought home a 6-month-old Border Collie puppy on Saturday. I was thinking about how I would describe her, as a person. I finally decided that she is Sydney Bristow, on the TV show "Alias". She can climb 6-foot fences quickly and gracefully. She is totally aware of each and every movement around her, as if she is watching for an opportunity to get into the cupboard and steal the secret treats. She is a master of disguises, in that sometimes her ears are up and sometimes they are down, and her eyes change into a beautiful amber color when the sunshine hits them just right. She is compassionate and caring, but she's not afraid to fight back. And, she's very pretty!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:22 pm
She sounds wonderful, PaL. A new member of the pack Very Happy
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:31 pm
Hi ehBeth.... yes, she's a Schwweetie-Pie...... Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 12:30 am
Congrats, PaL, on the new addition to your family. I don't watch Alias, so I can't make a mental picture of the puppy.

What's her name? And how is Jack reacting to the new arrival?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:52 am
That is so great that you've got two dogs now. They'll keep each other company when you're away. I'll bet your daughter is so happy! I can tell that you are! I have a suspicion that Piglet thinks she's walked through a portal into another universe -- one filled with love and peace. Hmmmm. where did we hear that phrase recently????
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
Dear PaL--Congratulations on your new familymember!! Is Piglet her name?What an adorable name, but not so suitable for anyone in YOUR family-I'venever seen any plump little piglet types there! And you know I have the picture of Jack Jumping on my wall! No piglet he!!
And speaking of Jack, asRoberta said, how does he like his new sister?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:09 pm
Oh, PaL, I am so glad to hear of your new doggie. Interested re Jack's reaction. I have not had that many pets, since I didn't have them as a child, but I have loved the ones I have had well. So I don't know personally about new cat, and new dog behavior situations. We did have a new kitten once, and she was the submissive one, much as the cat there had been submissive to its mom.

Sue, my business partner, has on the other had, a menagerie about her at most times, and has had cats wander into her nursery and become Nursery Pets, and new cats to her home, and I don't remember her mentioning spraying, and she would. Very nasally tuned she is.

I on the other hand smell not at all well, and wouldn't notice if Pacco came in wearing skunk, except by is behaviour. Crossing fingers, as we have skunks around, and I am mid town.

Pacco does change personality within seconds, what a bead he has on all those instinctive roles, my boy, and it is all signalled by the ears.

Ears like a bat or a medfly or the hound of the Baskets, runs like a rabbit, poises like an actor on the Elizabethan stage...whatta ham.

There was a run in today, I nearly died. It isn't funny really, I worry about
Pacco scaring a child...he is territorial behind our glass frontage. A person with a dog will walk in and he turns from cur to hiya, dog! Still, I worry.

Today, a woman who has been in several times came in with her grown son and her...bulldog Princess. Pacco nearly ate princess before I got there and I am not sure I helped...but we talked them into bringing Princess in and having a look at the new art and chatting with us, while Pacco and Parker and Princess reconnoitered and, yes, peed, peed on, oh,
never mind. I was glad enough they got along that well. Phew.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:40 am
Hi Roberta and JoanDark and ossobuco --

Jack absolutely loves his new little sister! He's so happy!

Actually, her nickname 'Piglet' has changed at least a million times in the last three days. Her name at any given moment seems to reflect whatever she is doing at that moment. The name 'Piglet' came when we fed her for the first time. Apparently, she had had to fight for her food and had learned to eat really fast. Rosanne (my daughter) said, "OhMyGosh, she's a little Piglet." Eventually, Piglet will have a name that is only one syllable, without an "s". That will be the name that Rosanne will use for all her training and, eventually (hopefully), competitions.

I don't think that Border Collies should be used as an example of 'new dog behaviors'. Each breed of dog has distinctive characteristics. Border Collies are workers, and are 'team players'. It's instinctive for them to 'work together'.

Also, Border Collies do not make the best pets. They are very very active and intense and they need a job that includes mental stimulation. If they don't get that, they will drive you crazy and will probably pick up some really obnoxious habits. Also, they have been known to bite people's ankles, including kids on bicycles. There's nothing worse than a bored Border Collie.

Rosanne works with Jack and Piglet daily. Jack does Obedience and Agility and Herding exercises. Piglet is just beginning. She came from a cattle ranch and she has an incredible 'herd drive' instinct. She's going to need a lot of Rosanne's time and attention. Piglet will start with basic Obedience exercises. When she's about one-year-old, she'll start her Agility training.

I get to be 'grandma' and call both of them 'sweetie-pie' and 'pumpkin' and 'my sweet baby' and 'lovey-dovey', etc. Jack sleeps in my room and Piglet sleeps in Rosanne's room.

Roberta... the TV show "Alias" has a Mission Impossible or James Bond spy-type setting. Great actions shots.... infiltrating headquarters, kung-fu fighting, stealing computer codes, escaping from escape-proof rooms.... it's one of my favorite TV shows!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:00 am
PaL, Little Piglet sounds like a sweety. Let us know when you arrive at a permanent name. Glad that Jack is welcoming the newcomer.

I love to watch border collies, but I wouldn't and couldn't have one as a pet. Too active.

Enjoy.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 11:39 pm
Hi Roberta --

Our rescued Border Collie is doing great.... she's a sweetheart!!

Rosanne has been trying out lots of different names. On Saturday, Rosanne was calling her 'hunny-bunny'. I just heard a portion of that, and I thought Rosanne had said 'Bonnie'. I got excited and said that I thought 'Bonnie' was a perfect name! I've been calling her 'Bonnie' for the past few days.

Today, we received a note in the mail from the rescue lady in eastern Washington. The note included this.... "It may be a little while before I get the info on her exact age, the people who owned her are not doing well currently and I don't want to bother them with this right now, as their 16-year-old daughter had an accident with a horse Saturday and is in a coma. All prayers are welcome and needed. Her name is Bonnie Paul."

So, in my mind, her name will be 'Bonnie'.

We haven't heard anything more from the rescue lady.

Jack and Bonnie have been running around the house with their Budda-Bone rope toy. They're currently lying down in the family room, taking turns chewing on the knots in the rope. Rosanne is out partying tonight, so I'll have both dogs on my bed!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 01:47 am
Oh my goodness.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:00 am
If my dog was a person he wouldn't have ate the Christmas roast when no one was looking, I mean he ate the whole thing, took it off the table, he wouldn't have.....do I have to go thru the whole list here?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:10 am
Well, I had a cat some years ago, who stole a whole chicken from the dining table - when we weren't looking. She didn't get it all eaten, but most of the guests didn't seem to be hungry after I retrieved it.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:24 am
He just snuck my hens off the table Margo, quiet as a mouse. I went to eat and voila! Ate the bones and all. Put the cover back on the plate tho I might add. Good boy Seamus.....good dog.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:25 am
Mikey
At least he's well trained and house-trained. Surprised
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:27 am
Not funny, I was hungry. He does look a little green for an Irish setter tho about now.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 08:31 am
PaL, I thought you wanted a monosyllabic name. No matter. Bonnie is a good name for her. BTW, I've been known to call Mikey honey bunny. Usually when he's asleep.

Mikey (the nonfeline), Seamus ate the whole thing? Wow. I had a cat who stole a fish, but a fish is much smaller than a roast. And Mikey (the feline) once stole and ate a cinnamon Danish. Damn. I wanted it for me.

Margo, A whole chicken. Not surprised he didn't finish it. That's a lot of food for a cat. Even one as big as Mikey (the feline).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:49 am
Bonnie was the name of Pansy's best friend! She's a Sheltie, also a sheep and ankle herder.

When my first Chow, Pansy, was spry, she'd go to visit Bonnie, who lived about a mile away. (Bad dog, Pansy. Come home immediately.)

Two weeks before she died (Feb 2002), Bonnie, who had always been a good, stay-at-home dog, started to show up here. It was v. odd. She must have made that mile long trek almost every day for those two weeks. Then Pansy was in the hospital and we didn't see her. When I rec'd Pansy's ashes the next week, Bonnie came again.

That was the last time that she came to see us. It was very weird. And she doesn't care for the puppies, always growls at them.

I vote for the name, Bonnie. It has a lot of good memories for me!

So sad about the young girl falling off and hurting herself. I'll bet she wasn't wearing a helmet. I hope the best for her. Candles to be lit.
0 Replies