This just in -- Hillary Accepts Job as Head of State

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:33 pm
According to NPR, Hillary Clinton has accepted the offer to be President Barak Obama's Secretary of State. Let the games begin.

Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:51 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Excellent!

This heals up whatever bad feelings might exist from the primary days, plus gives us a well-respected name in the international community conducting foreign policy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:36 pm
I'm not feeling her yet but, I trust that my President-Elect knows what he's doing. Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:43 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Seems like a win-win to me.

There were two good candidates left at the end...now both get to have their skills used.

She is more "hawkish" than Obama, though, isn't she? Hmmmm....
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:55 pm
@dlowan,
To Dlowan,

Yes, I think so.

They are both attuned to politics. I think both started with reasonably good motives. I see her more negatively and worry about near immediate clashing, or someone backing down sans understanding. (They are both to the right, so to speak, of me.) What, I hope they learn to discuss well together. I hope for the best of both of them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:00 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Seems like a win-win to me.

There were two good candidates left at the end...now both get to have their skills used.

Yes, a win-win. Excellent.

Brains and beauty, too! Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
I think it's a good move. I think it'll help heal whatever wounds might be left over from the primaries in the Democrat Party. And she's certainly capable of doing the job. She showed during the primaries that she can turn on the charm when necessary and be hard as nails when the occasion calls for it. And that's exactly what the person who deals with foreign affairs needs.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Regardless of any healing purpose, I can't imagine a better choice. Well, Jeanne Kirkpatrick, I suppose.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:13 pm
@roger,
Jean Kirkpatrick, are you trying to curl my hair?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Excuse me, Roger. I know we disagree.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:27 pm
I too think it's an excellent choice.

It's logical to surround yourself with people who are as intelligent as, or more than, you are.

Plus, now those that still pined for Hillary, have her.

Best of both worlds.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:01 pm
Hillary doesn't strike me as a good pick for Secretary of State, but neither did Rice. Both are smart and capable, but in Hillary's case this is one of her weakest areas. I miss Secretaries of State like Powell and prefer career statesmen (or stateswomen) in this kind of role instead of a politician.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ditto. I see it as a ride we'll be taking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:08 pm
Colin Powell was a career military officer, not a career statesman.

What Obama is doint is exactly what Lincoln did--he is gathering his political opponents around him, and both giving them a stake in his administration, as well as reason not to criticize.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ditto. I see it as a ride we'll be taking.

NOT that I prefer Richardson.

adds, I goofed on submissions. Still..
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Colin Powell was a career military officer, not a career statesman.

True, but he was a National Security Advisor before he was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (and later Secretary of State himself) and isn't a politician. I don't think the role is great for one who's minding a domestic audience and political future.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:32 pm
@ossobuco,
All right, EOE, who would you like for Sec of State?

I don't have an immediate answer myself, hell, maybe Powell for the reasons Robert mentioned, but I'd have to cogitate.
eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I'm really not sharp enough on the game players to speak on that but I don't trust Hillary. Nor her husband. It's that simple for me. But I do trust in the fact that Mr. Obama is a very smart and intelligent person and he's got his reasons for selecting her so, I'll go with him on it. I'm a member of that very large segment who wanted him to bash McCain in the head during Debate One. I've learned since then to trust Obama's cool , even when I'm raging. It's clearly why he's President-Elect and I'm not.
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:01 am
@eoe,
eoe - keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
eoe

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:11 am
@chai2,
I know...that particular saying has run across my mind several times this week.
0 Replies