House Democrats pick Waxman for energy panel; environmentalist victory

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:39 am
House Democrats pick Waxman for energy panel
By Rob Hotakainen | McClatchy Newspapers
11/19/08

WASHINGTON " In a major win for environmentalists, Democrats in the House of Representatives voted Thursday to put Rep. Henry Waxman of California in charge of a key panel that will have oversight over global warming issues in the new Congress.

He'll head the House Energy and Commerce Committee, replacing Michigan Democratic Rep. John Dingell, 82, the most senior member in the House.

Thursday's Democratic caucus secret ballot, 137-122 in favor of Waxman, mirrored a decision a day earlier by the Steering and Policy Committee to replace Dingell, who's been the top Democrat on the panel for 28 years.

The Waxman-Dingell battle had been watched closely on Capitol Hill. Waxman is regarded as an ally of environmentalists, while Dingell has ties to the auto industry. He's resisted higher fuel standards and tighter limits on greenhouse gases. It was the first major test of whether the party's liberal wing has more clout than its moderate wing.

Dingell had called Waxman an "anti-manufacturing left-wing Democrat" and said that it would be a mistake to have him in charge of the committee, particularly with the auto industry struggling.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California is thought to be closer to Waxman, 69. She'd clashed with Dingell in the past, but she remained neutral in the fight, at least publicly.

In 2002, she supported Dingell's Democratic primary opponent. Last year, she created a special panel to make the case for bigger reductions in greenhouse gases, taking jurisdiction on global warming legislation away from Dingell's committee.

Thursday's vote means that two Californians will take leading roles in the debate over global warming. Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer is the head of the Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee, which has jurisdiction over the issue.

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:16 pm
This is a flatout disaster. You wanted change. Well, that's all you're going to have left when gas goes to $7/gallon next summer.

Waxman's an ugly whining douchebag.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:17 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

This is a flatout disaster. You wanted change. Well, that's all you're going to have left when gas goes to $7/gallon next summer.

Waxman's an ugly whining douchebag.

Funny, my bicycle will be just as fast and efficient as before.

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Stick your bicycle in your ass you dumbshit.

You are the definition of stupid.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:21 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Stick your bicycle in your ass you dumbshit.

You are the definition of stupid.

It won't fit.

You can call me stupid if you like, but rising gasoline prices will heavily impact your life on a daily basis, and they haven't touched mine hardly at all. So which one of us is stupid, again?

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:21 pm
@cjhsa,
Every appointee for "change" has been a Washington insider.

Lock and load. Time to take out the trash.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That would be you - because you only think of yourself. This is a BIG country dumbfuck - it wasn't built by bicycle. Especially not that one sticking out of your ass.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:25 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

That would be you - because you only think of yourself. This is a BIG country dumbfuck - it wasn't built by bicycle. Especially not that one sticking out of your ass.

I don't only think of myself; I encourage others to buy a bicycle as well.

I don't think our country was built by gasoline, either; in fact, the vast majority of it was already American territory before the gasoline automobile was invented. It's not my fault that idiots like yourself couldn't see oil prices rising in time to make the right choices in your life to minimize it's impact.

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Are you ******* kidding me? What kind of useless POS am I arguing with here?

Do you really think that even the majority of people that work in Berzerkeley commute BY BICYCLE?

You're insane. Go back to your rubber room.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:33 pm
Hey BBB, cyclopticprick says you have a SMALL PENIS.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:52 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Are you ******* kidding me? What kind of useless POS am I arguing with here?

Do you really think that even the majority of people that work in Berzerkeley commute BY BICYCLE?

You're insane. Go back to your rubber room.

I don't know how the majority commute. But our bicycle racks are packed full every day and the parking lots only hold enough space for about a third of the employees who work here; I gather than most of them walk, take the bus, or take the BART train.

Just b/c you can't imagine making the changes in your life to deal with the changing situation of the world, doesn't mean that other, more intelligent members of our society cannot imagine doing so, cj.

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Dude, you're hardly smarter than I am. The simple fact that you think that gives away your complex. Plus, your constant gibberish posts indicate you have no idea where Kansas is on map, nor could you get there if someone showed you. Didn't you supposedly use to live in Texas? How's the public transportation down that way? How's the public transit in Silicon Valley as well?

This is a HUGE country and we use petroleum. A lot of it. Asshats such as yourself are going to soon be skewered and roasted by those who you're ******* over in the name of absurd liberal elitism. I'll light the fire, trust me.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:40 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Dude, you're hardly smarter than I am. The simple fact that you think that gives away your complex. Plus, your constant gibberish posts indicate you have no idea where Kansas is on map, nor could you get there if someone showed you. Didn't you supposedly use to live in Texas? How's the public transportation down that way? How's the public transit in Silicon Valley as well?

This is a HUGE country and we use petroleum. A lot of it. Asshats such as yourself are going to soon be skewered and roasted by those who you're ******* over in the name of absurd liberal elitism. I'll light the fire, trust me.

The public transportation system in Austin - where I lived - is great. The bus lines are robust and they are putting in light rail as we speak. As for Silicon valley, San Jose has a pretty good bus system and they are extending the BART train to run all the way there; soon you'll be able to step onto a train in San Jose and get off for a nice dinner in San Fran. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

You'll 'light the fire?' What does that even mean? You don't have any power, Cj. Don't you understand that? I mean, you're free to rant about how wrong we are all you like, but we're just going to keep right on doing what we are doing and you're just going to keep right on having to deal with it, and there's very little that you can do about it. While your verbal excretions are amusing, they are hardly worrying for the rest of us. Loudmouth assholes have never driven the course of our country in the long run and I highly doubt that will change under the new administration.

My advice to you: get a bicycle, an electric or hybird auto, or suck it up and quit bitching.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:20 pm
Cycloturd, you're a ******* communist. And you're too stupid to realize it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:17 pm
More good news: BP and Shell are going to concentrate thier alternative energy development in the US instead of Britian. The new administration makes them believe the US is a better bet. We may finally stop making the Saudi Royal Family our favorite charity:

Quote:

BP Scraps British Renewables Plan to Focus on US

November 9, 2008 by LKBlog

TERRY MACALISTER, The Guardian/UK, November 7, 2008

BP has dropped all plans to build wind farms and other renewable schemes in Britain and is instead concentrating the bulk of its $8bn (£5bn) renewables spending programme on the US, where government incentives for clean energy projects can provide a convenient tax shelter for oil and gas revenues.

The decision is a major blow to the prime minister, Gordon Brown, who has promised to sweep away all impediments to ensure Britain is at the forefront of the green energy revolution. BP and Shell - which has also pulled out of renewables in Britain - are heavily influential among investors.

BP has advertised its green credentials widely in the UK and has a representative on the ruling board of the British Wind Energy Association (BWEA). But it said difficulty in getting planning permission and lower economies of scale made the UK wind sector far less attractive than that of the US.

“The best place to get a strong rate of return for wind is the US,” said a BP spokesman, who confirmed the group had shelved ideas of building an onshore wind farm at the Isle of Grain, in Kent, and would not bid for any offshore licences.

BP has enormous financial firepower as a result of recent very high crude oil prices. Its move away from wind power in Britain follows a decision by Shell to sell off its stake in the London Array project off Kent, potentially the world’s largest offshore wind farm.

Shell gave the same reasons as BP for that move, saying the economics of UK wind were poor compared to those onshore across the Atlantic, where incoming president Barack Obama has promised to spend $150bn over 10 years to kick start a renewable energy revolution .

BP said about $1.5bn would be spent next year on US wind projects and the company expected to spend the $8bn up to the year 2015.

BP is still proceeding with some limited solar, biofuels and other schemes, but the vast majority of its time and energy is now being concentrated on wind. By the end of 2008, BP expects to have one gigawatt of US wind power installed and plans to have trebled this by 2010.

The BWEA shrugged off BP’s decision. “The offshore wind market is evolving and getting stronger. Different investors will come and go at different stages of the development cycle. But whoever the players are, we know that the offshore industry will be generating massive amounts of electricity for the UK market in the next few years,” said a spokesman.

Britain is not the only country to miss out on BP’s largesse. The company said yesterday it was also pulling out of China, India and Turkey, where it had also been looking at projects.

BP had formed a joint venture with Beijing Tianrun New Energy Investment Company, a subsidiary of Goldwind, China’s largest turbine maker. The two companies had signed a deal in January under which they planned 148.4MW of wind capacity in Inner Mongolia, China’s main wind power region. BP had also started building two wind farms in India and was considering schemes in Turkey. It is now expecting to sell off the Indian facilities and halt work in Turkey.

Green campaigners have been highly sceptical about BP’s plans to go “beyond petroleum” and feared that the company’s new chief executive, Tony Hayward, would drop this commitment, started under his predecessor, John Browne.

The company has always insisted it remained keen to look at green energy solutions and has been investing in biofuels operations in Brazil. BP is also in the middle of a major marketing campaign, with huge posters on the London Underground boasting of its moves to diversify into wind and other energy sources.

The Carbon Trust, a government-funded organisation established to help Britain move from carbon to clean energy, recently published a major report warning ministers that the costs of building wind farms offshore was too high. There was speculation that BP was a major influence on that study, which proposed that turbines should be allowed to be placed much nearer to the shore.

The Crown Estate, which has responsibility for UK inshore waters, is still confident that a long-awaited third offshore wind licensing round in the North Sea will attract a record number of bidders. It has already registered 96 companies, although it has not released names and BP and Shell will clearly be absent.

http://mendocoastcurrent.wordpress.com/2008/11/09/bp-scraps-british-renewables-plan-to-focus-on-us/

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:44 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This was the best week from Washington this week, BBB, thanks for highlighting it.
0 Replies