Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That was nice to read, Set.

Indeed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:41 pm
Thanks to your both for your kind remarks.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:57 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I promise not to include Mo in any activity that might be deemed dangerous.

From what I know about you, I can't imagine that you were doing something dangerous. Still, I understand a cop's unwillingness to take a risk on that.

I was doing what cjhsa suggested when I played, I was putting coins on the tracks and letting them get squished. It actually could be dangerous, if the train was going fast enough the coins would sometimes get shot out from under the wheels (made them hard to find so I started taping some of them down).

Another friend of mine who the cops hassled was a Japanese graphic artist in San Diego who was taking pictures around the city with two wooden figurines. She sat them both on the tracks and got a great photo (ended up being a great calendar of the figurines sitting together around San Diego) and the cops really busted her balls over it.

But insofar as them having the right to, well that other friend who got arrested was trying to insist that it was a free country and that they had no right to protect him from himself. That they arrested him makes me believe they reason to believe otherwise and were confident enough about being right on the whole trespassing thing to carry out the threat.

All of that is in stark contrast to here in Costa Rica. There's a track running through the capital that has no barriers, lights or anything. Just runs around town with a badly painted line trying to indicate how close you can drive to it without being hit. The kicker is that the tracks meander through some of the city's main streets (as in the left lane is for cars only when there's no train).

The train almost never runs, but I'd hate to be on those streets when it is. You are forced to share traffic with a frickin' train!
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:01 pm
A railroad right of way is private property. You have no more right to violate that private property by trespass than you do, for example, to go hunting in someone's woodlot, or fishing in some farmer's pond--either of which is trespass. So long as a property owner does not violate the public's right to access to other public or private properties, the property owner has a perfect right to consider that trespass
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:08 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I have seen too many Westerns in my life to be ignorant of the
fact that walking along train tracks is an unalienable right of Americans.
Maybe this is the time for Boomerang to talk with Mo about gun rights,
and the virtues of rebelling against repressive government.

I was 2 years younger than Mo,
when the communist next door told me of the anti-gun law of NY.
I was shocked, chagrined n scandalized.
I ran inside my house to my mother for assurance
that it was not so, but alas. . . .

This is a good time for Boomer to explain the USSC 's HELLER decision to Mo.

David
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:04 am
I own part of railroad right of way. Funny, eh?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

boomerang wrote:
I promise not to include Mo in any activity that might be deemed dangerous.
From what I know about you, I can't imagine that you were doing something dangerous.

THAT was another point i wanted to hit on.
People.. LOOK at who you are talking to here. Laughing

This isnt some fly by night ' im cheating on my husband with his best friend and dog' kind of poster.
I doubt Boom would ever do anything stupid with Mo, nor would she not teach him basic safety of anything .

Now she may get stoned and sell him to gypsies for some really sweet koolaide......but nothing that is not organic..

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:38 am
I have a question. Is the railroad company publicly traded? Can you buy shares? If you are an owner, you aren't trespassing....
cyphercat

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:10 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Huh, indeed! Drunk

I had an image in there that disappeared. It honestly did make sense at the time...

I used to walk beside railroad tracks all the time when I was a sullen teenager. I was fairly careful, but I didn't realize that trains stick out way further on the sides than you'd think. And I had no idea you could get hassled by the man for it; I'm surprised I never did--I used to get hassled by the man a lot as a teenager for walking in suspicious areas (like along the road...crazy stuff like that...).
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:13 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

I have a question. Is the railroad company publicly traded? Can you buy shares? If you are an owner, you aren't trespassing....

I can imagine telling police that, hey man i own 500 shares of this railroad!

haha. maybe it owuld work, i doubt it >.<
dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:21 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

I can imagine telling police that, hey man i own 500 shares of this railroad!

haha. maybe it owuld work, i doubt it >.<

If you have shares in a car manufacturing company does it mean you can take a car when you want?
0 Replies