Mo and I get hassled by the Man.

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:45 am
@Intrepid,
No, just pointing out what a chicken **** idiot you are, terdpid.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:46 am
@shewolfnm,
I bet you were her first "collar."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:46 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Why would they?

U have no sense of humor, Richard.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:57 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

No, just pointing out what a chicken **** idiot you are, terdpid.

No chance of intelligence trespassing on anything with this post.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
@Intrepid,
Look, terdpid, is your idea of teaching a child about safety just saying "No! Don't do that/go there."

You can't be serious (or very intelligent).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:10 am
I have seen too many Westerns in my life to be ignorant of the fact that walking along train tracks is an unalienable right of Americans. Maybe this is the time for Boomerang to talk with Mo about gun rights, and the virtues of rebelling against repressive government.
boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:11 am
Wow!

Seriously, I don't think we were in any danger. We were three ties off the street, 20 feet from one of those huge clanging barricades - which they have on every block and you can hear the first ones start four or five blocks away. We were only about a mile from the switching yard, very close to downtown, the trains move very slowly through there. When we're lucky enough to see a train we sit on this concrete retaining wall and wave at everyone. Passenger trains are a real delight.

And, like I said, I didn't tell Mo we were being hassled by the man. I told him the police just wanted us to be safe. We left immediately. I'm not an idiot.

Things have changed. When I was a kid the tracks were a short cut to everywhere. Every kid walked to school down the tracks and it was generally agreed that it was safer than the street since there was less traffic.

Even when N. got his leg cut off by a train we weren't told to stay away from the tracks; we were told not to ever try to jump on a moving train like N. did.

Consider me throughly scolded!

And thanks, shewolf.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:11 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:

IMHO, one is not employing common sense hanging around train tracks.
The dangers are just too great and, as Farmerman pointed out,
children especially should be made very aware of the fact that
train tracks are no place to be.

So, in your HO, what distance shoud Boomer stay from RR tracks ?
Do u expect trains to leave the tracks to go and hit her n Mo ?
Intrepid

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

No, I don't expect the train to leave the tracks. However, there is always a possibility of this.

What distance? Oh, I don't know....how about 8 feet.

You should be ok to play amongst the predator trains since you are very well armed and could fight off an attack by a big steam engine.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:27 am
@boomerang,
Quote:

Seriously, I don't think we were in any danger.
We were three ties off the street,
20 feet from one of those huge clanging barricades

Some people on this thread r getting emotionally worked up
as tho u had said that u & your boy were having a picnic on the RR tracks; that 's not what u said.

From your post, I don t see danger
as long as u r a sufficient distance from the RR tracks
that the side of a passing train will not be in contact with u.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:35 am

I have to agree with Shewolf 's post.

David
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:36 am
People get hit by trains all the time.
Trust me, I have seen it.

One man once was riding on top of a car in California. The train was going rather slow.... well.. slow enough I could see him and see his face, but not slow enough for him to feel safe jumping off.
The train went though the tunnel and I got nasty **** splattered on my cheeks.

People who actually get HIT by trains, in my HUMBLE OPINION are just lacking some sense.

You hear it coming, move
No train? walk on the tracks if you like.
Night time? Cant see very well? Trains rumble the ground long before you can hear them. MOVE.
Jumping or riding a train ? catch it before it hits 35mph . get inside if you dont know the route and dont be stupid.

I should not have legs. I fell off a moving train once and the backs of my legs fell across the tracks. If it were not for my 2-bit boyfriend at the time, I would be legless, maybe even dead.
He yanked me off the tracks and threw me down the rock hill before I could get hit by anything else. We were trying to catch the train to Florida from California. he saved my ass and I was being stupid. ( Trying to catch a fast train when I could not run well)

any who.

Im not subscribing to the paranoia of someone JUST being near tracks behaving stupidly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:44 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
No, I don't expect the train to leave the tracks.
However, there is always a possibility of this.

What distance? Oh, I don't know....how about 8 feet.

Well, if there is always a real possibility
of the train leaving the tracks to chase Boomer n Mo,
maybe thay need to stay a few miles from the tracks ?

Quote:

You should be ok to play amongst the predator trains
since you are very well armed and could fight off an attack by a big steam engine.

No; I am too old and ugly,
so thay tell me to stay away,
if I get too close to a predator train or start to play.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:50 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

People get hit by trains all the time.
Trust me, I have seen it.

One man once was riding on top of a car in California. The train was going rather slow.... well.. slow enough I could see him and see his face, but not slow enough for him to feel safe jumping off.
The train went though the tunnel and I got nasty **** splattered on my cheeks.

People who actually get HIT by trains, in my HUMBLE OPINION are just lacking some sense.

You hear it coming, move
No train? walk on the tracks if you like.
Night time? Cant see very well? Trains rumble the ground long before you can hear them. MOVE.
Jumping or riding a train ? catch it before it hits 35mph . get inside if you dont know the route and dont be stupid.

I should not have legs. I fell off a moving train once and the backs of my legs fell across the tracks. If it were not for my 2-bit boyfriend at the time, I would be legless, maybe even dead.
He yanked me off the tracks and threw me down the rock hill before I could get hit by anything else. We were trying to catch the train to Florida from California. he saved my ass and I was being stupid. ( Trying to catch a fast train when I could not run well)

any who.

Im not subscribing to the paranoia of someone JUST being near tracks behaving stupidly.

If he saved u from being a legless wolf,
he shud be up to at least 3 bits.

David
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:33 am
Terdpid wants the gubmint to register and regulate his own shadow.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
@cjhsa,
Damn you're an asshole. Who the **** was talking about guns? Could you possibly have such a discussion on one of the 15,000 threads you started about guns and to which nobody replied?

Isn't Hee Haw on now?
cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:09 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Damn you're an asshole.

Thank you. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:12 am
@boomerang,
i don't think boomer and mo committed a crime ... but , i don't see anything wrong with the p.m. warning of the dangers .
the train tracks run right through our city , some pretty fast at about 90 miles an hour . every year old and young people get killed trying to cross the tracks - i'm sure it's a traumatic experience for the traindrivers .
i was on a train that killed a young couple in a pickup truck trying to get through one of those country crossings - the baby survived . the train was held for about three hours while an investigation was carried out and a new crew arrived - not a pleasant experience .
i love watching trains - from a very safe distance .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:14 am
@shewolfnm,
I agree that being near a train track and being stupid aren't some sort of equation. On the other hand.. I'm concerned about the compulsion of some. And who are the some? Add the compulsive some to the very stupid and there's a reason for the law.

Some while ago, I was at a lunch birthday gathering where one of the women told about being in a hotel high rise in Acapulco, going out on the balcony, and suddenly having a compulsion to jump.. which as the story went on, she thwarted by praying very hard while backing up. I can almost understand that, the compulsion part. I figure that can happen on bridges, know it does in subway stations, and it might, not for killing yourself but for a risk game, with railroad tracks. Or maybe some do also do it for suicide.

Me, I love trains, but I'd just as soon see them going by when I'm further away than a few feet, getting a wider view. Mostly I'd like to be on the train going somewhere.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:20 am
One of my grandfathers died at a train crossing. No way of knowing if he was trying to beat the train, or just didn't know it was there.

It was a double crossing, and one train was stopped nearby. Our theory is that he assumed the bells and lights were for the stopped train, and didn't see the second train coming.