Radical Islamic Militant Somali Pirates!

cjhsa

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 05:17 pm
So I suppose the attacks in India weren't caused by radical islamic militant terrorists?

I wonder what the Bush haters will come up to spin this one.

With O-boy and his "Change it back to the way it was under Clinton" plan for change, we're fucked for at least four years of having to listen to their stupidity.
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 05:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In short, you continue to beg the question, because you assume that militancy is somehow unique to Muslims. It ain't.

No, I do not think militancy is unique to Muslims, since I do know that Jews were living peaceably in Muslim countries, at the same time that Jews suffered from persecution/ghettoization in Christian (Catholic) countries. However, today there seems to be an anger on the "Arab street" against Jews, Zionists, Americans, British and perhaps some other nations/groups. So, there must be a connection, I believe, since I do not see "other streets" with protests against these nationalities/peoples. I say "other streets," since in Mediterranean countries it is standard for many males to spend much time in the cafes, while the women are home with the children.

0 Replies

cjhsa

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 06:13 pm
It must have been the Pakistani Christian Official Taj Hotel Welcoming Committee.
Foofie

Mon 1 Dec, 2008 12:03 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

It must have been the Pakistani Christian Official Taj Hotel Welcoming Committee.

As Toody from "Car 54 Where Are You" might have said, "Oohh, oohh, a joke."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_54,_Where_Are_You%3F
0 Replies

McTag

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 03:01 am

I heard on the radio this morning that the European Union is deploying its first ever naval force, off the coast of Somalia.
Setanta

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:29 am
@McTag,
And it's about damned time, too . . .

If true, i'm glad to hear it. Now let's just hope it doesn't turn into a Keystone Kops exercise . . .
cjhsa

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:36 am
I wonder if a unionized military can be successful.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 10:10 am
@Setanta,
Actually, they are just and only taking over what NATO did before - NATO mandate ends on December 15.

And even the warships are more or less the same (until new arrive from Europe).
The big and important difference is that they've got a broader mandate than the NATO-unit.
cjhsa

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 10:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Actually, they are just and only taking over what NATO did before - NATO mandate ends on December 15.

And they did such a great job too!!!!
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And even the warships are more or less the same (until new arrive from Europe).
The big and important difference is that they've got a broader mandate than the NATO-unit.

How do things get accomplished with EU participants speaking different languages? Everyone on one ship speaks one language?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:45 pm
Since it has been talked here about this and that already - there are "Risk Zones" in other countries as well:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2w33pcp.jpg

In the Red Sea Area, private ships/boats are already making convoys (you can register for one online - up to 2011), and South East Asia Radio Net acts as a point of contact and broadcasts a daily security report as well as a weather forecast for the yachts sailing through the area concerned.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 05:23 am
Quote:
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:23:39 GMT
Kuala Lumpur - A German warship and helicopter on Thursday succeeded in foiling an attempt by pirates to board an Egyptian bulk carrier travelling in the troubled Gulf of Aden off Somalia's coast. The ship, which had 31 crew aboard, was headed for an Asian port from the Egyptian port of Suez when pirates approached the vessel and started firing at crew members, said Noel Choong, head of the anti-piracy International Maritime Bureau (IMB) reporting centre in Kuala Lumpur.

He declined to give details of the ship's cargo.

Upon being attacked, crew members immediately called for aid from international coalition forces patrolling the troubled Somalia waters, said Choong.

"The pirates were randomly firing at the ship, resulting in one of the crew members sustaining injuries to his leg," he said.

However, before the pirates could board the ship, a German naval warship and helicopter, responding to the call for help, arrived at the scene and managed to chase off the pirates.

Later, the helicopter returned to the Egyptian carrier and airlifted the injured crew member onto the warship, said Choong.
Source
0 Replies

McTag

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:47 am
@Foofie,

It's simple.

They just all speak American English.

Wink
mysteryman

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:54 am
@McTag,
I dont know if you are trying to be sarcastic or not, but you are close with your comment.

With several different navies working in the area, the command structure of each ship does all speak a common language.
And it is most likley english.

English is the common language for air traffic controllers worldwide, with EVERY air traffic controller speaking english only to pilots,so it is also probably the language used by all of the various naval vessels to communicate with each other.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:23 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

With several different navies working in the area, the command structure of each ship does all speak a common language.
And it is most likley english.

English is the common language for air traffic controllers worldwide, with EVERY air traffic controller speaking english only to pilots,so it is also probably the language used by all of the various naval vessels to communicate with each other.

English is the official language for all NATO units, not just a "common language". From the very beginning onwards.

And that because on sea, it's always been the international communication language - though many nations didn't sign the IMO SOLAS (that changed 1974 - though it became really oficially only in 1995).

A personal, anecdotic memory:
in 1972, I was "the voice" (on VHF) of the commanding admiral for a big NATO manoeuvre in the Channel and on the French coast (for one day, the other days only for the German units). I was really glad that I knew from before how (especially) the French and Italians pronounce some English words which are similar in their own language.
It was peculiar funny, however, that the other day - when the Royal Navy admiral was in command - there were a lot of mishearings between the British and US units.
georgeob1

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

It was peculiar funny, however, that the other day - when the Royal Navy admiral was in command - there were a lot of mishearings between the British and US units.

That's because the Brits (or at least the RN) think we are still in the 17th century. It was generally easier for us to work with French Naval groups.
McTag

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:25 am
@georgeob1,

Americans are silly. They say things like

"This is hhurnn hhurn of the hhurrn. Now hear this!"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:27 am
@georgeob1,
Ever heard the French pronouncing "Roméo Yniformm"? Wink (Our callsign was DBRU)

http://i44.tinypic.com/s2sdj7.jpg
Merry Christmas, George!
georgeob1

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
And a Merry Christmas to you Walter !

We didn't expect to understand the French, and were delighted on those occasions when we did. (Actually I refuelled regularly in the Indian Ocean from a French oiler, the Var - very modern, efficient aand capable.) With the Brits, we expected to always be able to understand them and were amazed to find we didn't. What was the phrase ... "separated by a common language" ?

A cool, gray rainy day here in San Francisco. However, we do need all the rainfall we can get.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 12:57 pm
As regards the English language, i think it appropriate to echo the comment of Senator Hyakawa of California, speaking of the Panama Canal:

"We stole it . . . fair and square--we should keep it."
0 Replies