Radical Islamic Militant Somali Pirates!

Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:26 am
@McTag,
Actually, there have always been pirates... at work, at any time.

And especiall in the waters between the Pacific and Indian Oceans, off the Somali coast, and also in the Strait of Malacca and Singapore. No-one really bothered about this until a couple of years ago.

From the wikipedia report:
Quote:
Reports of piracy attacks were declining worldwide since 2004, but seems to have bottomed out in 2007.[38] Figures reported by the International Maritime Bureau indicate incident reporting fell for the third year in a row in 2006. Ships reported 239 incidents to the IMB during the year 2006, down from 276 in 2005, and 329 in 2004.[39] But the piracy rose by 14% in the first nine months of 2007.[38]

A lot of infos about the current situations etc is at the IMB Piracy Reporting Centre webside.

The advice:

Quote:
Secure Your Ship

There are various options available to the ship owner to secure his ship

Secure-Ship

This is an effective innovation in the fight against piracy. It is a non-lethal, electrifying fence surrounding the whole ship, which has been specially adapted for maritime use. The fence uses 9,000-volt pulse to deter boarding attempts. An intruder coming in contact with the fence will receive an unpleasant non-lethal shock that will result in the intruder abandoning the attempted boarding. At the same time an alarm will go off, activating floodlights and a very loud siren The owner has the option of a message being relayed directly to the IMB " PRC. The IMB strongly recommends ship owners to install this device on board their ships.

squinney

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, so someone already thought of my idea... I wonder why they haven't done it then.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:43 am
@Setanta,
Set, your "logic" only shows what a braindead libtard you are. Anyone who cannot see through the shallow facade of our muslim socialiast president-elect deserves that label.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:48 am
@squinney,
Costs. Ship owners don't want to spend money on their ship but to earn a lot from them.

Piracy was just a (smaller) disadvantage, similar to crew and ship safety ... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:09 am
I'm hoping that this action by the Indian Navy will spur the other navies of the world to get off their duffs and earn their keep. No pirates have ever been able to prosper when professional navies have seen fit to take action. Julius Caesar's first big military opportunity was an operation to clean out the pirates of the eastern Med more than 2000 years ago, and ever since, when pirates have gotten too high-handed, professional navies have put them out of business. This affair with Somali pirates actually having the gall and the stupidity to fire on a naval vessel is reminiscent of Black Bart's stupidity in taking a frigate and defying the Royal Navy at the beginning of the 18th century--it cost him his life, and he is accounted the most successful pirate of all time, alleged to have taken more than a million pounds sterling in treasure and prize ships and cargo.

The Somali pirates have been, until now, small potatoes. They have overreached themselves in attacking a naval vessel, and, as i say, i hope the rest of the world's navies will now take a hand--this has gone on too long. The situation in the Strait of Malacca is probably even worse, but the world's navies--apart from Malaysia--have turned a blind eye, because their own merchant commerce was not affected.

Time for the world's navies to earn their pay, and what more dramatic and immediate an opportunity this presents for them.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:05 am
@Setanta,
Black Bart the greatest pirate ever? Meh....

http://www.barcade.com/media/images/2653_JackSparrow300.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:51 pm
Quote:
While the capture of so many passing cargo vessels makes a mockery of pirates' claims to be protecting the country from foreign exploitation, complaints about illegal fishing in Somali waters are genuine. The Seafarers' Assistance Programme in Mombasa says that at any one time there can be hundreds of foreign trawlers, mostly from Europe and the east, fishing for tuna, shrimp and shark within in Somalia's 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zone.

Local fishermen complain that their catches are dropping as a result. And while some foreign ships do acquire fishing permits, corrupt officials in the government pocket the money.

Analysts say that in the long term the key to ending the piracy is establishing an effective authority on land in Somalia. In 2006 piracy all but disappeared when a group known as the Islamic Courts Union controlled most of southern and central Somalia for six months, bringing in law and order for the first time since the early 90s.

But after the Islamists were ousted by invading Ethiopian forces piracy began to flourish once more. The Transitional Federal government headed by President Abdullahi Yusuf exercises no authority on the ground or at sea and claims, with some justification, that it can do little to rein in the pirates.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/19/somalia-pirates][b]Source[/b]
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:02 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

I just wear this towel on my head because it's so sandy out here in the open ocean.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2008/11/18/1227027565167/Gallery-Somali-pirates-Pi-001.jpg

he's wearing something on his head hence he's a Muslim? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

brilliant. even YOU can't be serious about this. that's just impossible.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:08 pm
@dagmaraka,
Actually, I am serious about that one. That's definitely muslim headgear. It ain't no turban there baghwan.
dagmaraka

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:25 pm
@cjhsa,
nah, you could see Tuaregs and other tribes in these too.

"Desert peoples have long used the turban to keep sand out of their faces, as this man from Africa is likely doing. Members of nomadic tribes have also used turbans to disguise themselves. And sometimes, the color of a person's turban can be used to identify his tribal affiliation from a distance across the dunes."
Steve 41oo

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:32 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:
... And sometimes, the color of a person's turban can be used to identify his tribal affiliation ...

yeah could be Glasgow Rangers. Or Aston Villa. Definitely not West Ham Utd.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:49 pm
@dagmaraka,
I think the world's navies have a name for guys like this.

Dead meat.
0 Replies

old europe

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:58 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
By this "logic," when you see sailors wearing baseball caps on the deck of a United States naval vessel, it's because they are subject at any moment to break away for the equipment locker, whip out balls, bats and gloves and go nine innings.

Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
@Steve 41oo,
nomadic tribes in Northern Africa adhere to a range of various religions, as you probably know already.
to hate all things muslim...and to see a muslim in everyone who wears something on their head...well, one must really really want to.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:40 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

nomadic tribes in Northern Africa adhere to a range of various religions, as you probably know already.
to hate all things muslim...and to see a muslim in everyone who wears something on their head...well, one must really really want to.

More like, one must have a really good reason for doing so.

http://encefalus.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/twintowers.jpg

Never forget.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:42 pm
and that has what in common with nommadic tribes? whatever, suit yourself.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

and that has what in common with nommadic tribes? whatever, suit yourself.

We are at war with islamofacists wherever they reside. These pirates are stealing ships and using the ransoms to fund boomtowns that in turn fund the islamic insurgency in Somalia and elsewhere.

That you choose to ignore this obvious connection speaks volumes about your liberal "I'm so smart" stupidity that makes others, like me, want to stop defending your sorry ass.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:57 pm
i will say what i said again, slowly. i reacted to your turban remarks. not every person wearing a turban is a muslim, forget even a radical islamist. turbans like the one you posted as an irrevocable proof, are worn by many NON-islamic tribes as well. assumption that someone is a radical islamist because they have a turban on their head is ridiculous. i said nothing more, nothing less, so shove your assumptions you know where. and your division of the world into liberal, conservative, and nothing else, is also laughable, as is using the word 'liberal' as some kind of insult. if you really want to offend, you will have to make your posts a little more intelligent.
cjhsa

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:58 pm
@dagmaraka,
Why bother? You can't understand the simple.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:00 pm
According to Jane's Terrorism and Security Monitor, certain insurgents are using pirates to smuggle weapons and supplies and help provide bases in return. (Subscription - report mentioned on the BBC, see link above.)

The BBC reports additionally::
Quote:
BBC Somalia analyst Mohamed Mohamed says such pirate gangs are usually made up of three different types:

• Ex-fishermen, who are considered the brains of the operation because they know the sea
• Ex-militiamen, who are considered the muscle - having fought for various Somali clan warlords
• The technical experts, who are the computer geeks and know how to operate the hi-tech equipment needed to operate as a pirate - satellite phones, GPS and military hardware.