Voted Obama? No Communion For You

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:05 am
I've always thought that a religion that eats its god every week or so is more than a little strange.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:39 am
The ancient Egyptian gods used to go around hacking up and strewing each other about the landscape in little bitty pieces. But EATING one? I mean, really, yuck
squinney

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:24 am
@MontereyJack,
Well, that certainly gives a new meaning to "God is great, and God is good. Let us thank Him for our food."
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:13 am
That is the rule of the "club". Why do you people have a problem with that?

If you do not like the rules, leave the club and go somewhere else.

Why should the "club" change it's rules? It is their choice and if everyone leaves the "club", so be it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:24 am
@RexRed,
I will tell you confidently that the God you preach so smugly is the same God that says homosexuality is abhorrent to the Lord...is why He destroyed Sodom and Gomorah, who counts homosexuality as one of the most disgusting sins...this is the God you call on when it suits you to be Church Lady ....so where is He when you're sucking a cock, how do you think He feels about that...and who's insulting God then?
Blickers

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:40 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You seem to have allowed Rex Red to annoy you into taking the position of coming out against gay ministers. Is that the position you want?
Blickers

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I must say the South Carolina priest-I never even knew they had enough Catholics in South Carolina to make up a single congregation-is politically astute. As has been illustrated in this thread.

He says that Catholics cannot receive Communion if they vote for a pro-choice candidate. Then a lot of people on message boards not only come out against that, but says the whole notion of God is ridiculous. Since the overwhelming majority of Americans do believe in God, that situates the Catholic Church as being God's defender in this debate.

A pretty nice position to find oneself in, considering this Church has spent most of the last twenty years apologizing and minimizing the enormous amount of priests who have been molesting the children of the parishoners.

Over the course of the last few decades, the influence of the Catholic Church has declined from the point where it once was able to prevent divorce and birth control from being legalized down to the point today where a greater percentage of the Catholic population voted for the pro-choice candidate than the non-Catholic population. This edict and others similar to it by the South Carolina priest is designed to regain prestige for the Catholic Church by positioning them as the main defenders against the enemies of Christianity in the public mind.

So far it hasn't worked, but if people keep saying the issue is whether God exists instead of whether this constitutes an intrusion of a Church into the political arena where it does not belong, it just might.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
@Blickers,
you miss the point completely... my position is annoyance with people who claim the Christian God in a literal and unbending fashion right up til the exact moment one of their beliefs or behaviors run contrary to those teachings and then it's modification and rationalization time. What a crock of ****.
Blickers

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:07 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I understand that you are opposing Rex's brand of hellfire and brimstone preaching and not preaching and religion itself. But a person who is not familar with you and who comes across this thread might think that you were doing the latter.

Thanks for setting that straight. Rex is very annoying.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:11 am
No need to worry about Rex, guys. Have you ever seen anyone so perfectly comfortable in his self-torment?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
@Blickers,
more amusing than annoying actually. In addition to my feelings regarding such Christian hypocrisy.... and they are genuine.... I love to **** with people Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
i am truly shocked to learn that rex knows AND types this six letter word !

rex wrote :
Quote:
You wear your faith like a dirty condom.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger
Well, he does ties it in to that particular adjective.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:14 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

pssstr. Catholicism is built upon the same **** as the GOP. "We can make up all kinds of lies and youll believe em"

carrying on about the sanctity of marriage and life is pretty strange coming from people who adhere to a faith with a genesis founded on incest and murder.

talk about insulting god ?

spendius

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:55 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Talk about a simple, cliched nitwit. It's more interesting.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Talk about a simple, cliched nitwit. It's more interesting.

in what way?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:12 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
I will tell you confidently that the God you preach so smugly is the same God that says homosexuality is abhorrent to the Lord...is why He destroyed Sodom and Gomorah, who counts homosexuality as one of the most disgusting sins...this is the God you call on when it suits you to be Church Lady ....so where is He when you're sucking a cock, how do you think He feels about that...and who's insulting God then?

Is it? The Bible says there are two gods...

Perhaps that god is your god?
RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:18 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
No need to worry about Rex, guys. Have you ever seen anyone so perfectly comfortable in his self-torment?

What the hell does this mean?

Romans 8:2 KJV
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Comment: Don't lecture me about sin and hypocrisy until YOU yourself know what THIS scripture means...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:28 pm
Quote:
you miss the point completely... my position is annoyance with people who claim the Christian God in a literal and unbending fashion right up til the exact moment one of their beliefs or behaviors run contrary to those teachings and then it's modification and rationalization time.

That is exactly it, the middle road does not swerve to far to the left or right. It is neither radically conservative nor radically liberal. Ok?

That is the core message of the Jesus Christ, whom you like to ridicule.

The way we learn of this message is by the word written in our hearts and guided by the spirit of truth, not the spirit of anarchy and liking to **** with people.
RexRed

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
You seem to have allowed Rex Red to annoy you into taking the position of coming out against gay ministers. Is that the position you want?

That is an interesting take. Thanks for saying it.

I hope to build a bridge for other gay clergy, not tear it down.
0 Replies