LAST CRUISE OF THE Q.E. II

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:28 pm
the legendary ship QUEEN ELIZABETH II set out on her last cruise .
she'll become a hotel in dubai - a moored relic of her great past !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/3400588/QE2-Final-farewell-to-the-worlds-most-famous-cruise-ship.htm

from the article :

Quote:
QE2: Final farewell to the world's most famous cruise ship

As the Queen Elizabeth 2 prepares to sail for the final time, devotees are likely to turn out in force to mark the passing of a national icon, writes Jane Archer.

It is almost unheard of for a ship leaving service to bring a city to a standstill.

But then, the QE2 is not just any ship. The most famous ship afloat sails from Southampton for the last time, heading to Dubai where it will become a floating hotel.

It was due to leave its berth at 5.30pm, but Cunard has agreed to delay departure until 7.15pm because of city council concerns about thousands of farewell-wishers descending on Southampton at rush hour.

The council is already worried that Mayflower Park, the main vantage point in the city with room for 10,000 people, is not going to be big enough. They may be right.

Weather permitting, one million poppies will be dropped over the ship to mark the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, and at 1.40pm, there will be a fly-past by a RAF Harrier. The Duke of Edinburgh will have a farewell lunch on board, and in Mayflower Park, a giant video screen will show live and archive footage of the vessel.

It is an extraordinary send-off considering that this is a 41-year-old ship giving up its globetrotting days, not a shiny new vessel embarking on its maiden voyage.

But its longevity is the point. This ship has kept going for more than 40 years, longer than most new vessels will last, I suspect. It has crossed the Atlantic 801 times, sailed around the world 25 times, notched up more than 5.6 million nautical miles during its travels.

It has carried royalty, heads of state, pop stars, celebrities and ordinary folk. For a short time in 1982, while serving as a troop carrier during the Falklands War, its passenger register listed Welsh Guards, Scots Guards and Ghurkhas. For the past nine years it has been the floating home of 89-year-old Beatrice Muller.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01109/QE2southampton_1109924c.jpg

the QE II played one final trick : she got stuck on a sandbar just outside the harbour and it took five tugboats to free her - she wasn't going to be sold without putting up a fight !
good for the old lady !
hbg

curious about BEATRICE MULLER ?

http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/qe2liveaboard.htm

Quote:
It hurts to leave the Queen Elizabeth 2.

And so Beatrice Muller never does.

From the empty Chart Room lounge, Muller watches the latest ebb of passengers off the QE2. In four hours, she'll watch a new tide flow back on. Almost regally above the normal passenger cycle, she sits in a moment of rare serenity on a ship that sails with 1,700 passengers. Muller, an 82-year-old widow from Middlesex, N.J., is the queen of the Queen. She's been aboard since Jan. 5, 2000, the sole permanent paying resident of the world's most famous ship.

During countless crossings between Southampton, England, and Manhattan, she has occupied Cabin 4068. During endless runs through the Atlantic and Pacific, through the Mediterranean, Tasman and South China seas, through canals (Panama and Suez) and recently the fiords of Norway, she has maintained a stately dowager's routine of cards, tea, dressing for dinner and dancing. And she has no plans to disembark any time soon.

"I plan to be on this ship until I get either bored or dead." Muller says. "And I don't think either is going to happen soon. This is home."

and beatrice muller is looking for a new home !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 14,837 • Replies: 21
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 04:57 pm
I wonder what Betrice had to shell out for the privilege of keeping a stateroom these 8 years?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ms Muller declares herself to already have reached heaven, and has no intention of leaving until she is bored or dead.
All such delights come at the cost of £3,335 a month after Ms Muller's 45% discount because of her frequent floater points. Ms Muller's example could offer an intriguing solution to a number of problems. Why not floating residential homes to relieve the pressure on those overstretched at home - admittedly it is a slightly more expensive option (UK charges are an average of £1,120 a month) but the mental health costs could fall significantly. Cunard Line might even be prepared to extend into providing nursing care to compete with the £4,716-a-month costs of a nursing home. To add to the attractions, a retirement berth could have considerable tax advantages; stay afloat and you do not have to worry about the taxman. Not to mention a break from worries about crime, the disappointments of the British climate and the monotony of life on dry land

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/aug/23/sillyseason.media1
hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
the "magellan" is a "residential" cruise ship .
it's somewhat like condominium ownership . you can even purchses a "part-time share" if you are not planning to cruise the whole year - just in case you have a little job on the side .
hbg

http://www.residentialcruiseline.com/index.htm

magellan stats :

Quote:
Designed by the internationally acclaimed Norwegian firm of Petter Yran and Bjørn Storbraaten Architects A.S., the Magellan is the most luxurious residential cruise ship ever built.

860 feet long 106 feet wide
15 decks Maximum speed 24 knots
Registered in the Bahamas Multinational crew of 500
210 private residences, including 16 penthouses

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
Geez, I must be a hundred. I remember the RMS Queen Elizabeth in NY Harbor, circa '49 - '50, that was glorious, legendary, etc., even if not as beefy as QE II.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/RMS_Queen_Elizabeth.jpg
roger

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I just love those stacks canted to the rear. Kind of like the spoiler on the turtle in the B.C. strip.
hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
another ship with beautiful lines was the S.S. NORWAY (formerly FRANCE) .
she was anchored off st. maarten while we were on the m.s. westerdam in 1994 .
she has now been beacched on one of the indian wrecking beaches awarding her final "coup de grace" - what a shame .
(one of the problems is how to dispose of all the asbestos used to line the steam boilers) .
hbg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9333/norwayxr2.jpg
Dutchy

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:50 pm
@hamburger,
Hamburger, the Queen Elizabeth 2 made its last visit here in March this year, as always I stood on the shore and saw this truly majestic vessel cruise into the harbour. This is what our local paper printed about the visit.

March 02, 2008 12:15am
THE world's most famous liner, Cunard's legendary Queen Elizabeth 2, pays its last visit to Adelaide today as part of its farewell world voyage.

The gracious 70,327-tonne ocean liner will berth at Outer Harbour Cruise Terminal, Port Adelaide, at 7am and depart at 5pm.

Virtual tour: On board the QE2

QE2's visit - part of a 103-night world cruise - represents its eighth call to Adelaide since its launch in 1967. Its first visit to Adelaide was on February 19, 1985.

A LEGEND of the seas, Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2 has been making headlines ever since it was launched in 1967.

Its calls to Melbourne and Sydney during its first visit to Australia in 1978 dominated local newspapers, with entire front pages dedicated to its arrival.

With headlines declaring ``Enter, The Queen'' and ``Welcome Your Majesty'', the newspapers featured the QE2's classic Cunard grandeur  alongside reports of traffic chaos as Melburnians and Sydneysiders turned out in their thousands to see the world's most famous liner.

The inaugural Australian visit came at the halfway point in the QE2's third world cruise  a 96-day voyage from New York which saw it call at Melbourne on February 22, 1978.

Watched by a reported 30,000 people, the QE2 sailed from Port Phillip Bay that evening bound for Sydney, where it arrived on February 24, 1978  30 years to the day before its final Sydney visit.

Carrying 1400 passengers, the QE2 berthed in Sydney overnight, before steaming to Port Moresby under the command of NSW-born Captain Robert Arnott.

During the next three decades, the QE2 returned to Australia 22 times, visiting a range of ports each voyage, and always generating a crowd of spectators keen to catch a glimpse of the ship regarded as the icon of ocean travel.

Launched by Queen Elizabeth II on September 20, 1967, the QE2 was named not after the monarch, but its maritime predecessor, Cunard's Queen Elizabeth, which was retired from service in 1968.

Designed to capture the grandeur of the ``golden age'' of cruising, the QE2 became famous for its lavish accommodation, attentive white-gloved service and opulent, yet graceful, public areas.

The new liner quickly won accolades for its innovative design, luxury and its legendary speed.

Known as the greyhound of the seas, the QE2 was capable of sailing at speeds of up to 32.5 knots - far faster than contemporary ocean liners  and could even sail backwards at an impressive 19 knots. Perhaps not surprisingly, in 1970 it set a new transatlantic record, crossing the ocean in just three days, 20 hours and 32 minutes.

It was one of many news-making episodes for the grand lady of the seas. In 1971 it helped rescue 500 passengers from the French ship Antilles. The next year it was the victim of an elaborate ransom hoax at sea.

A decade later, the QE2 again hit the headlines when it was requisitioned by the British Government for service as a troop carrier in the Falklands War, transporting 3500 troops to the remote islands.

Its legendary ocean-faring capacity also drew attention in 1995, when it encountered cyclonic conditions during a transatlantic crossing and was struck by a freak 30m wave in the middle of the night.

OVER the years, the QE2 has had many refurbishments and refits. In 1982, following the Falklands conflict, it underwent some major changes during its conversion back to a cruise ship. Then, in 1986, its steam engines were swapped for diesel engines.

Other refits saw every bathroom replaced and the debut of the first Harrods store at sea. All these changes ensured the QE2 continued to meet passenger needs and maintained its loyal following.

The QE2's timeless style has attracted thousands of eminent travellers from around the globe, from royalty to politicians, statesmen, musicians, authors and actors.

Forty years on, the ocean liner has sailed 25 world cruises, and carried 2.5 million passengers, including hundreds of celebrities, 5.6 million nautical miles.

While the QE2 is due to leave Cunard's fleet in November this year, its many journeys have won it a place in the hearts of people around the world  as well as a secure berth in maritime history.

Cunard is part of Carnival Corporation & PLC, the world's largest cruise vacation company, which also includes P&O Cruises.

41 years of achievement

THE QE2 has made more than 800 Atlantic crossings, and been commanded by 25 captains.

THE liner has called at New York 707 times and Southampton 710 times.

ITS 2008 visits will mean the QE2 will have made 85 calls to Australian ports and 40 calls to New Zealand ports since its launch.

THIS year marks its eighth call to Adelaide, its 22nd to Auckland; 24th to Sydney, 14th to Melbourne, eighth to Hobart and 10th to Fremantle.

Did you know?

CUNARD Line's first ship Britannia would fit inside QE2's Grand Lounge.

THE QE2 is probably the most misnamed liner in the world  it's Queen Elizabeth 2, not Queen Elizabeth II.

IT cost just over 29 million ($A63.6 million) to build the QE2 in 1969.

THE liner is the fastest merchant ship in operation, capable of reaching 32.5 knots. It can sail backwards at 19 knots, faster than most cruise ships can sail forward.

REPLACING QE2's original engines with diesel-electric engines in 1986 cost 100 million ($A219.4 million)  the largest amount ever spent on such a project. Steam turbines had powered the QE2 2,622,858 nautical miles, equal to 120 times around the world.

QE2 has the largest marine motors ever built, nine diesel-electric engines each the size of a double-decker bus and the most powerful propulsion plant on a non-military vessel.

QE2 has the only synagogue at sea and the largest cinema at sea.

Food and beverage

THE QE2 is the largest consumer of caviar on earth and the number of teabags used each day would supply a family for an entire year.

TO eat the QE2's daily consumption of breakfast cereal, one person would have to eat at least two packets a day for more than a year.

ENOUGH fruit juice is consumed annually to fill its two swimming pools almost eight times.

ABOUT 599,205 litres of beverage are consumed annually. Together, Heineken and Becks account for almost half the beer consumed.

THE most expensive food on board (gram for gram) is saffron.
hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 03:57 pm
@Dutchy,
only saw the QE 2 in the far distance once when crossing from the med to ft. lauderdale in the late 90's . our ship (the rotterdam) had just passed gibraltar when the bridge officer alerted us to the QE 2 passing in the distance .

she was the last of the true luxury liners . the new ships (including the Queen Mary 2) are really just stacked boxes - there is no real "ship" feeling to the new liners any more .

the only thing the QM 2 has going for me that she calls on the port of hamburg twice during the summer - instead of calling on southampton .
the citizens of hamburg - including a lot of tourists - always give the QM 2 a big reception .
the QM 2 also has ben in europe's largest drydock - elbe 17 - in hamburg for refit at least twice .
i've watched some video clips of the QM 2 turning in the narrow basin of the port - just amazing - and tugboats are just standing by , they don't have to do any actual "tugging" .
hbg

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 04:25 pm
@roger,
I remember memorizing the stacks of the Q. Elizabeth and the Q. Mary as we drove by...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 04:27 pm
@hamburger,
That Norway is a beauty...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
As previously shown, the RMS Queen Elizabeth -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/RMS_Queen_Elizabeth.jpg

the RMS Queen Mary (love this photo...)
http://64.202.120.86/upload/image/personal-column/ran-levi/rms-queen-mary.jpg

here's a photo -- the interception of the SS Rex (italian liner) in by US B-17s
in 1938; more from Wiki after the photo --

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/B-17s_flyby_Rex.jpg

The SS Rex was an Italian ocean liner launched in 1931.[1] It held the westbound Blue Riband between 1933 and 1935. Originally built for the Navigazione Generale Italiana, its state-ordered merger with the Lloyd Sabaudo line meant that the ship sailed for the newly created Italian Line. In May 1938, in a demonstration of U.S. air power, YB-17 bombers of the U.S. Army Air Corps intercepted the Rex at sea in a highly publicized event.
The Rex operated transatlantic crossings from Italy with its running mate, the Conte di Savoia. On 8 September 1944, off Koper, Rex was hit by 123 rockets launched by RAF aircraft, caught fire from stem to stern, rolled onto the port side, and sank in shallow water. The ship was broken up at the site beginning in 1947.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 04:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Time for me to check the A2K blog at the bottom of the page. I know there are instructions there for photo sizing and placement. That big one was just a grab from Wiki on the SS Rex.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:01 pm
To mark the occasion of the arrival in Malta, of RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 on her last voyage toward Dubai, Malta's Post is issuing a set of 4 stamps in the maritime series, entitled ‘Cruise liners:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ro6v81.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you know the different ships, Walter? I like the one on the bottom right best.. the others sort of look like massive houseboats, not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm keener on the sleeker lines.
hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
hi , ossobucco :

here are details of the ships on the malta stamps :

http://www.maltapost.com/page.asp?n=newsdetails&i=5693

the "eurodam" is one of the new holland-america line ships .
they are pretty well all made out of lego blocks nowadays <GRIN>

pretty well all of the cruiseships under the ownership of "carnival" - which includes : carnival lines , holland-america , cunard and others - are built by FINCANTIERI shipyards in trieste/italy .
they all look like they've been made with a cookie cutter !
and the cookies have been decorated differently a/t the old company names .

http://www.fincantieri.it/

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:30 am
@hamburger,
Sorry, osso, I didn't see your question earlier - and thanks, hamburger, for answering it!

Malta, like many other posts from smaller countries, makes quite some money printing stamps for various occasions.

In former times, the easiest and cheapest (though not healthy) way of doing such was .... collection cigarette cards.

I've some, framed, from Will's:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2l9jvrq.jpg

part of my "maritime art collection" http://i38.tinypic.com/6ezym8.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh! That's neat, Walter!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh! That's neat, Walter!

Hmm, some quite nice edgings (not all on the photo).

My personal favourite, however, is this one (you won't guess why Very Happy )

http://i33.tinypic.com/29z7gqo.jpg

(It's for a factory, making corrugated fiberboard, in Leipzig, from the 1920's. I do wonder, why they had chosen this theme - and the island, Heligoland [very peculiar shape as well!].)
hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
is the "flying dutchman" the captain of that sailship ? <GRIN>
hbg
0 Replies