you notice a dog suffering badly from the heat inside a locked car. What would you do?

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:34 am
One hot summer afternoon, while walking through a parking lot at a large shopping center, you notice a dog suffering badly from the heat inside a locked car. What would you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:37 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Simple. Call 911, or break the window.
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:40 am
@cjhsa,
break the drivers side. They hate that cause they have to vacuum the little shards before they can sit down on the seats again.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:55 am
@farmerman,
I would check the make of the car and preemptively strike the country of it's origin....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 10:02 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I have done that several times already: gone to the manager of the store
who can call out the license plate of the car and ask them to attend to their
animals, or if this doesn't get results, call the police.

In California it is against the law to leave animals in the car without adequate
ventilation, or in conditions which adversely affect the animal's health or welfare, so the police will fine the pet owner a hefty fee - rightfully so!
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:11 am
@CalamityJane,
I agree - I would first try to open the car - assuming everything is locked up tight, I would go to the store and have the car liscence owner paged and then if no one showed up break the window.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
The problem with breaking the window is that the dog could be seriously injured by the broken glass because car window glass breaks into tiny pieces.

The only safe glass to break might be the rear window, where the glass might not fall on the seats and floor.

BBB
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:24 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
any injuries suffered from flying broken glass would be miniscule -- modern windshield glass breaks into small rounded pieces.

we're talking about saving a dog's life.
it's a no-brainer...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:33 am
@Region Philbis,
just for the record...

break a side glass, they are tempered to shatter into itty bitty pieces for Your safety.

Front and some rear glasses are laminated, difficult to break, and much more expensive when the owner returns to discuss...)
eoe

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 10:14 am
@Rockhead,
I'd try and have the owner paged and call security to break the glass.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
@Rockhead,
i like to think dog owners would gladly pay for a busted windshield if it meant saving the life of their critter...
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:00 am
Living in Texas I have had to do this a lot, it gets so hot so fast here. I always go into the store and have the person paged. While they are being summoned I go back out to the car and call the police, in most cases the cops and the owners show up at the same time. I give my statement to the cop, pat the pooch and go on my way. It's illegal here as well.

I've never had to break a window as everyone usually shows up pretty quick. I have seen the cops break the windows before and if it came down to the animal being in serious need I would not hesitate to do so.
0 Replies