The 83rd Save Rain Forest Thread

Stradee

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:43 pm
@danon5,
Good move, Dan! LOL

Probably the most scary though are cross wind landings. Wing into the wind, and gliding onto the runway - sideways. yikes Or approaching the airport and landing when the planes surrounded by fog. No Dan, this girl was not going to let an instructor jump out of the airplane on the runway and say "ok, you take off and land the aircraft". nuhuh Piloting from the right seat was good enough for me.

Small aircraft flights are very unique.

Great stories, Dan! More!

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674

danon5

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:05 pm
@Stradee,
OK, the highest cross wind landing I've made was 60 knots at 90 degrees. Just drop the windward wing down and push rudder to keep the nose in line with the runway. Land on the one wheel and keep everything straight until the other wheel touches down then keep control of the plane until stopped. OH, and FOG!!

I was flying the Centurian 210 from Seattle, WA to Sheboygan, WI. Clear WX all the way. By the time I was about 100 miles out, it was about one o'clock in the morning and I started to see ground fog - everywhere. I became concerned and as I had been chatting with the ATC guy because there was no other traffic, I asked him about conditions at Sheboygan. He told me. There was not sufficient intrument approaches at that field for me to land. I asked if anyone had landed anywhere closeby recently. He said a plane had touched down at Gen Mitchell Field at Milwaukee. I said point me in that direction. He did. Finally, he handed me off to another guy who would get me lined up with the runway. I was still flying in clear sky. I lined up on the ILS approach and began my descent - at about 1500 ft I hit the fog, so went straight to the instrument panel to complete the landing. As I came down to my lowest safe altitude I leveled the plane, the fog was still thick. I punched the clock to count the seconds I could fly at that altitude before aborting the landing. At about that moment I saw some dim flashes ahead. I kept going. the flashes got brighter and I knew I was going over the approach threshhold. Some after I could see the runway dimly in the fog. I crossed the approach end of the runway and placed the plane in a landing configuration. Waited and waited until the wheels touched. I came to a stop and called the ground control guy and said I was down but could not see the taxiway so he told me where to go and got me to a tie down space. I still couldn't see 10 ft. in the fog.

That's my fog story.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:13 pm
@danon5,
Shocked

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,926,167.4 square feet!

Shocked

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,185.7 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,185.7)

Shocked

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,753.0 square feet.
You have supported: (17,886.2)
Your 300 friends have supported: (50,866.9)

Shocked

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,637,228.7 square feet.
You have supported: (188,951.6)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,277.1)

Shocked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:43 pm
@danon5,
Good discription, Dan! Good piloting!

We were flying home from a dinner with friends and there was a fog bank over Buchanan Field. gulp... Hubby hadn't gotten his instrament rating yet, but luck was on our side. There was a clearing that we were able to fly through, then approach the runway for landing. Was a bit hairy for a few minutes because there was no other place we could have landed except across the Bay in Marine.

Now my favorite approach to the airfield and landings were short field landings. I could see the runway clearly, even though the manuver was a bit more complicated. The x laughed at that because i'd be all panicked when attempting a crosswind landing - yet falling out of the air aimed straight at the runway somehow didn't faze me.

Our first flight to Columbia was interesting. Thunder and lightening storm hit just before we found the landing field. Hubby said "Hon, don't worry. If we're hit by lightening, just the instruments will malfunction". Well, if that comment was going to calm my fears of becoming a crispy critter - it didn't. So I took a deep breath and trusted we'd land ok, and we did. So who ties down the airplane? You guessed it. Shocked twice

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:00 am
Congtats Prez Obama! Very Happy

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:03 am
Great flying stories to both of you. Clicked, and yesterday was quite the day. Interesting that the throng had the presence of mind to do "Nah nah nah nah goodbye" as George dircled overhead.
Stradee

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:52 pm
@sumac,
Hi sue! Glad you dropped by to say 'hi'.

Super Inauguration Day...and now the work begins....

Obama Halts New or Pending Bush Regulations

Acting only hours after his inauguration, President Barack Obama has ordered a freeze on new or proposed regulations at all government agencies and departments. In a memo issued by new White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, the president tells agency and department heads that :

"...no proposed or final regulation should be sent to the Office of Federal Register for publication unless and until it has been reviewed and approved by a department or agency head appointed or designated by the President after noon on January 20, 2009, or in the case of the Department of Defense, the Secretary of Defense."

The memo also orders the withdrawal of all final or proposed regulations not yet published by the Federal Register. Department and agency heads have also been asked to "consider extending for 60 days the effective date of regulations that have been published in the Federal Register but not yet taken effect" unless they impact health, safety, environmental, financial, or national security matters -- obviously now subject to the interpretation of Obama's appointees.

The Complete Text:
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/emanuel-regulatory-review.pdf
danon5

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
@Stradee,
So you got to tie down the plane, Stradee. In the Army, crew chiefs did that - With my Patti, she helped.

Yeah, Obama all the way........... This morning on the NBC new, Ann Curry positioned herself in front of a big sign that said, (ARREST BUSH). It should have said ARREST ALL THE BUSHES. I am still stunned and amazed that JEB in Florida before he was given the Governorship by his dad, was caught in the two billion dollar Medicare scandle and the Fed Investigators just said - "He was too dumb to prosecute" and let him go. Then they waited three days before they went to arrest JEB's partner, who they had determined WAS guilty - of course he had left the country long before then. Papa Bush is something else isn't he.

When Papa is gone the family will be in deep stuff.
Stradee

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:27 pm
@danon5,
Tieing down the plane wasn't the prob, Dan. The 'ground' zap, was! LOL

Know what your saying about bush sr. He wants Jeb in the wh next. Can't believe the gop will rally anything during the next four years though. That and the fact that when Obama and his administration achieve some of their goals, (and i'm certain they will) during the next few years - his ratings will remain high.

We'll see how long it takes for the House and Senate to enact bipartisan bills that will push the economy forward. By May we'll be breathing a bit easier, but it will take longer than a year for America to benefit significantly economically.

danon5

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
@Stradee,
I think JEB's involvement in the Medicare scam screwed him from any hope of the wh. Papa knew it when it happened. But, got him in as Gov of FL anyway. THEN, the "W" screwed the hammered shut out of any chance that JEB could run for anything. That's why he stepped out of the race for the last Florida Gov'ship. Not a chance in H.

You are right though. Papa had dreams of being in the history books as the first - 'three from the same family' presidency. Little did he know how F'g dumb his kids were.

I recall a very small and short segment on the NBC news with the Dub. He actually said on National TV, that he was still scared of his dad. But, you know how dumb most of his thoughtless comments were. Like the one in the beginning, to all the nations of the European Continent, "If you aren't with us - you're against us." My God, how stupid can anyone in his position be???

Glad that's over. It is sad that when President Obama asked Xpresident Bush if he would accept calls for advice - Bush said NO. As if President Obama would ever think of asking Bush for advice in the first place - I think President Obama was just being courteous and Bush was too dumb to get it.

Well, enough Brush Beating for one day. All clicked........
Stradee

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 03:00 pm
@danon5,
I recall that comment, but bush cleaned his act during the "past presidents' luncheon at the white house. He told Prez Obama that he (bush) would be willing to extend any advice the new president might need. Then of course, Bush Sr. was front and center at the Inauguration. Politics, huh?

Bush said he was happy to be leaving Washington, and going home. Most of America feels the same way. Bush supporters are still in the trenches though. I might ask any one of them if they still have a job though.

I've had enough of gwb
###

Yo Dan! Check it out!

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/01/22/gallery/flying-car-324x205.jpg

'Flying Car' Goes to Market

Prepare for Takeoff | Discovery News Video Jan. 22, 2009 -- A Boston-area company plans to begin flight tests this year of a two-seater airplane that moonlights as a car.

The aptly named Transition takes a stab at bridging the gap between automobiles and airplanes. Some people call it a flying car. The company designing and selling the vehicle prefers the term "roadable aircraft."

Either way, it boils down to this: You sit down behind the steering wheel, drive to the runway, unfold two wings and take off. You can fly 500 miles on a tank of gas -- regular unleaded -- and when you land, you simply fold up the wings and drive where you want to go. At the end of the day, you fly back, drive home and park inside your garage.

Terrafugia, of Woburn, Mass., is not the first firm to attempt what may be the ultimate hybrid.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
oops

the link

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/01/22/flying-car.html
ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:32 pm
@Stradee,
Quote:
One winter morning during breakfast a husband and wife in northern- Wisconsin were listening to the radio. They heard the Announcer say, "We are going to have 8 to 10 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the even-numbered side of the Street, so the snowplows can get through."

So the good wife went out and moved her car.

A week later while they are eating breakfast again, the radio Announcer said, "We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the odd-numbered side of the street, so the snowplows can get through." The good wife went out and moved her car again.

The next week they are again having breakfast, when the radio Announcer says, "We are expecting 12 to 14 inches of snow today. You must park..." Then the electric power went out. The good Wife was very upset, and with a worried look on her face she Said, "Honey, I don't know what to do. Which side of the street do I need to park on so the snowplows can get through?"

With the love and understanding in his voice that all men who are married to blondes exhibit, the husband replied, "Why don't you just leave it in the garage this time?"
ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:36 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,926,352.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,267.1 square feet.
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,267.1)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,637,332.4 square feet.
You have supported: (188,966.4)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,365.9)
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:00 am
good earthturn wildclickers,

rain n' snow Very Happy

Good day for the photo site...........

danon5

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:37 pm
@Stradee,
Slow day, but, we are clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:47 am
All clicked

have a good day, wildclickers
danon5

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:57 am
@Stradee,
Thanks, Stradee..... You too.

I finally got into Multiply - The thing kept telling be I was still blind at first - but, finally took pity on me and let me in. Thanks, nice site.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 02:08 pm
@danon5,
clicked

off to see the hamburgers and then to a concert with brendalee

have a great Saturday evening, WildOnes!

~~~~

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,926,478.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,296.8 square feet.
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,296.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,637,428.6 square feet.
You have supported: (188,973.8)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,454.8)
0 Replies