The 83rd Save Rain Forest Thread

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:12 pm
@Stradee,
hmmm, I think I read about the beer

somewhere in the 50's I think - I'm pretty sure it's in the group of threads that I just tagged with "clicktivism" (among other things)

~~~~

The WildClickers have supported 2,925,654.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,007.9 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,007.9)

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,706.2 square feet.
You have supported: (17,839.3)
Your 300 friends have supported: (50,866.9)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,636,939.9 square feet.
You have supported: (188,929.4)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,010.5)
Stradee

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
@ehBeth,
clicktivism

that's a good word, Beth! Very Happy

Well, picked up film, but wasn't happy with the results on some of the photos.

sigh

Digicam looks better and better...

Cannot believe the temps here! 70's! Dan, muster the tribe pleeze!!

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
danon5

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:29 pm
@Stradee,
Stradee, we are getting the southern most cold spell of the frigid weather in mid-east and ehBeth's part of the country. Will be approx 20 degrees here tonight and tomorrow night. Last week we had temps at night in the 50s. Weird weather.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:34 pm
@danon5,
Cold cold cold.

Not as cold as those folks who were on that plane that crashed into the Hudson River in New York today. I thought of pilots like you, Danon, when I heard about the amazing work of the pilot.

~~~

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,925,742.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,045.0 square feet.
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,045.0)

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,706.2 square feet.
You have supported: (17,839.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,636,991.7 square feet.
You have supported: (188,936.8)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,054.9)
Stradee

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:25 pm
@danon5,
85 degrees today!

Winter clothes then spring clothes...

Sitting here with house windows open and there isn't a breeze outside.

amazing weather

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Wasn't that something today!

Good pilot instincts, hurray!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:00 pm
good earthturn all ~

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:58 pm
@Stradee,
Thanks for keeping the link close to hand, Stradee!

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,925,825.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,096.8 square feet.
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,096.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,729.6 square feet.
You have supported: (17,862.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,636,999.1 square feet.
You have supported: (188,944.2)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,054.9)

~~~

got some pix on the camera that need to get out into the world - will work on it this weekend

~~~

I hope everyone's having a good and peaceful day/evening. Sending hugs.

danon5

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Sending snugs and hugs to you ehBeth.......Sounds and looks like you need some....

Keep the kids dressed and warm for their walks.

Yes, this morning as I heard the news report about the Hudson River ditching as I heard the lady report about the man sitting beside her who was as calm as could be - I said to my Patti - 'he must be a pilot'.......

Years ago, my Patti went with me from Seattle to San Francisco, CA - I was doing a flying job for the company I worked for at the time. After the work was done - we flew back to Seattle, WA. All the way I was in touch with Air Traffic Controll. The guys who keep up with where you are in flight. They are an exceptional group of people. As we approached Seattle and my base, Boeing Field, I had not heard from the ATC people - and as a precaution I called Seattle Boeing Field Approach for landing instructions. NOTHING!!! I tried the ATC folks - NOTHING!!! My radio was OUT......

I looked back at my Patti - because she could not sit in the front seat with me due to the hugh 350 pound camera by my side - and very quietly said, "Don't get upset, but, the radio is out and I can't call the tower for landing. Nothing to worry about - I have a handset in the pouch behind my seat - would you please hand it to me.?" She said OK, no problem. I called the tower on the handset and landed as normal. No problem.

Even without the backup handset, I would have had no problem landing at one of the most busy airports in the world - there is a rule in flying - enter the traffic pattern at the right angle and circle two times in the pattern at the same altitude - then - after you see a green light in the tower you land. No problem.

Actually, it's easier than that nowadays - we just dial in a number in our transponder and the tower knows we have no radio - then they give us the green light to land.

No problem.

Flying is a lot safer than driving to the supermarket.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Welcome, Beth.

Keep on clickin' WildClickers!

Very warm temps for the season - 80 degrees at noon yesterday, and today more Spring type temps. Amazing

Luved the photos, Beth. Looking forward to viewing more. Smile

Dan, i recall having to fill in the code area twice. Probably a security issue. The site is very cool though, worth the registration process. Hope to see you there soon.

I thought the pilot did a marvelous job landing that aircraft and of course he flew in Nam also. Amazing work. I experienced some 'hairy' flights to, and i gotta tell ya - it ain't fun wondering if you're gonna ever make the landing field. I love your stories! Say hi to your courageous Patti too!

Have a marvelous day all ~

danon5

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:09 pm
@Stradee,
Ok, "hi to your courageous Patti too!" There, I said it......big grin. Also, to her....

Stradee, tell us some of your airplane stories.....

The freeze has passed us by. We are waiting for another though.
Stradee

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:11 am
@danon5,
Dan, lets just say for now {gotta work today} that my x husband {the pilot} said "hon, nothing of consequence happens until you get in the airplane" Shocked and he was right!

One return flight from a Firemans Muster in Columbia, we were flying over the Delta, close to our approach to the airfield. I was the 'spotter' for the day. ok - alls well....then look to the left and there are airplane wheels heading toward our plane. In a split second, hubby veers right, we dive away from the other aircraft, and thank god we wearnt' hit. Hubby talks to ground control and we find out later that the guy was flying "evens" when he shoulda been flying "odds". Scary moment. Mentioning our plane was a Mooney Exec with retractables and probably the reason why we were able to dive cleanly and fast - plus the x was a good pilot.
~

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@danon5,
Good to see some of the gang here today Very Happy G'day eh to danon, stradee, Patti and the rest of the WildClickers.

The washing machine's brain seems to have died <sigh> after the whites and lights, before the last dark load <sigh> stops before it gets to drain <sigh>

~~~

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,925,958.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 220,141.2 square feet.
Your 300 friends have supported: (220,141.2)

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,729.6 square feet.
You have supported: (17,862.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,637,088.0 square feet.
You have supported: (188,944.2)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,448,143.8)

~~~

can't dry a load of laundry that's still full of soap <sigh>
danon5

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, those machines have minds of their own. I recently retired my old almost twenty year old set and now have state of the art washer and dryer.......

Hope it lasts as long as the last ones........ Holding breath.

Stradee, I had no idea you were married to a pilot. Sounds like he had a sense of humor and knew what he was doing. Except for the close call - I always had my neck on a swivel - out of the cockpit and looking everywhere. The only close call I had was in a war zone - during the Vietnam War. One hot day (they were all hot, even in winter) I was flying a camera run down a valley. At the end of the valley was a ridgeline. I knew easily that I could clear it. Also, before each flight - I always called and asked if there was any known action in the area I was going to for my mission. That day, I didn't have anything to worry about except the bad guys. I thought. As I approached the ridgeline and pulled back on the stick to clear the trees - all I could see was TWO helicopters - I at 250 miles per hour went between them - I could see the whites of their eyes because they were as surprised as I was. Then in a fraction of a second, I knew that those choppers were followed by another gunship. We narrowly missed, I saw the whites of that pilots eyes also.

Then, we were clear, and I flew back to base and had a stiff drink.

Well, it wasn't the only close call - but memorable........Big Grin

More stories, Stradee. That was a doozie.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
@danon5,
<sitting reading Shocked >
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Beth, same thing happened to my washer a few months, so i drive to the Sears store to buy a new washer/dryer. Prices Shocked and all...looking at appliances and i spot a technician taking a break and standing outside of the store. Idea
Say 'hi' and we begin chatting about washer/dryers and i tell her my washer stopped draining. She asks {i luv this} "what kind of sound does the washer make just before it won't spin or drain". I say "HURRAY" it sounds like this {and try to sound like a washing machine trying to work} and she says "Ah, it's the clutch". I say "Can you fix the machine today"??? and she says' "yep, i have two stops right near where your house is"! I say "There is a God" and within three hours, the machines humming like brand new. Very Happy The washer/dryers' only 7 years old though so i guess i lucked out on both the washers capacity to fix, and a super technician.

Hope you can have the washer repaired too!

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:42 pm
@danon5,
Dan, very cool story, and also scary!

Yes I was married to a pilot, and a good thing we're divorced or i'd probably be dead somewhere from an airplant crash! I can't tell you how many times we damned near got hit or some other weird thing happened when we were in the airplane.

Once flying to San Jose, the night was absolutely beautiful, one of those flights where the plane seemed to not move at all - just the veiw moving. Amazing. So, there we are, loving life, and all of a sudden we hit some sort of updraft! The plane went up, then dropped a thousand feet in about a nano second. We were both shocked but laughed because my stomach was having spasms from the elevator drop. Ok, everything fine. We arrive at the airport, call traffic control and get permission to land. Friends are waiting for us and they see our plane just begin landing and at the same time they and me and hubby see another airplane taking off when we were landing, on the same runway. No words. Hubby does his rendition of wreck evasion, my stomach says "EEK", we clear the area, circle the airport, I'm stuttering at ground control, and we're finally cleared to land - again.

Our friends are saying to me "we'll drive you home, K?" Poor hubby can't believe what just happened - twice, and all i can say is "i do not feel like having dinner".

The flight home was really quite nice though.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:00 am
Dan, to clarify... there were words with ground control after the landing mishap, and the guy taking off on the same runway we were vectored to land on....well, he was on the wrong runway.

hubby Shocked

me Shocked

all we could say at the same time was "don't ask"...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:10 am
good earthturn wildclickers

danon5

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:26 pm
@Stradee,
hohohoho, that's a good one, Stradee........

Same thing happened to me back in the late 1980's - a friend and I bought an airplane. He didn't know how to fly - so, of course, I started to show him how to fly. After several training flights - we were coming in to land at our home field which had no tower. At those fields, the pilot must always call and say his/her intentions on the particular freqency disignated for that airfield. I made the call to alert all traffic in the area that we were on a straight in approach for landing. We started the descent on approach - and, then I saw an airplane move onto the runway and begin to takeoff in OUR direction. I said to my friend, "I have the controls." The plane taking off in our direction became airborne and was getting closer and closer. I waited and waited. I knew what was about to happen. All of a sudden the plane in front of us began to shake - wings flapping - I kept on straight ahead. There was no danger because we were not so close that a mid air could occur. I thought it funny and thought I had taught the other pilot a lesson - to listen to the local radio freq and also to announce his intentions to other pilots in the area that he was intending to takeoff on that particular runway. hehehehehehehe

Next time I'll tell you of two occasions in the Vietnam War that I had some abnormal G forces on my plane. Well, there actually were more than two.

Good Earthturn and great clicking to all Wildclickers and to all clickers elsewhere.