littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:36 pm
I opened a link and I got error messages saying that all my major computer areas have been affected.

Quote:
Hardware errors
Perfomance of your PC is low due to a file system error. It was caused by the changes malicious software made in your system fules and numerous open ports used by spyware to transfer your privacy data. Your personal data safety in danger.
Privacy information errors
Spyware has stolen your personal information.
You can see the contents of the stolen block below:
City: Dover

My computer is asking me to open and run Pro Antispyware 2009 . Is this legit?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 6,753 • Replies: 74

View best answer, chosen by littlek
old europe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:43 pm
@littlek,
The error messages are probably scripted browser thingies. You're on a website that that pretends to be an online anti-malware scanner. It pretends to scan your computer and then displays a warning saying that your computer is infected. It's a ploy to fool you into downloading and installing ProAntispyware 2009.
littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
@old europe,
That's why I am asking. It looks legit.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
Yup. If Windows wants you to download something it will tell you at the official Microsoft website. I assume Apple does the same.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:45 pm
@littlek,
Linky-dinky:

Quote:
Pro Antispyware 2009 is rogue anti-spyware but it has a single advantage against other corrupt security tools. Website of ProAntispyware2009 looks legitimate and reputable. It provides much information about the software; there are FAQ and even Awards sections. The image of website may trick visitors and push them into purchasing full version of Pro Antispyware 2009 as it was real. The full version/license of Pro Anti spyware 2009 doesn’t exist. Pro Antispyware 2009 is a scam to milk money from people who care about cyber security.

Once on a computer, ProAntispyware 2009 loads pop-ups, reports imaginary infections and demands buying the full version. Avoid this trap! Creators of Pro Antispyware 2009 take the money, but all users get in return is malware and more malware.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:45 pm
@littlek,
I'd suggest going offline and running crapcleaner and then checking things out. Those things that advertise a product are usually scammy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:06 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I opened a link and I got error messages saying that all my major computer areas have been affected.

Quote:
Hardware errors
Perfomance of your PC is low due to a file system error. It was caused by the changes malicious software made in your system fules and numerous open ports used by spyware to transfer your privacy data. Your personal data safety in danger.
Privacy information errors
Spyware has stolen your personal information.
You can see the contents of the stolen block below:
City: Dover

My computer is asking me to open and run Pro Antispyware 2009 . Is this legit?

I assume that you copy and pasted this information. If so.... please note the grammar and spelling errors. You would probably not see that on a legitimate site.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:38 pm
I ran a program from Old Europe's link and now I have pop-up windows and mozzilla shutting down every five minutes.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:40 pm
@littlek,
Simple fix, Littlek.
The instructions for removal are printed towards the bottom of this page
Ps. I've used removal tools from bleeping computer before, and found them to be as simple as they are effective.

Pps. If anyone ever suspects they have a similar piece of scumware; simply Google the name of the suspect and "bleepingcomputer"; and it will take you straight to simple removal instructions.
littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
started to download that one, but stopped.... this is crazy.... trying again
jespah

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:25 pm
@littlek,
Trying to channel timber -- hmm -- bleepingcomputer is definitely one of the sites he liked, and used.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:07 pm
@littlek,
Some scumware of that variety will fight back, or act like the cure is the real enemy. Don't you believe it (Especially if Timber liked it). I haven't seen that exact scumware; but used the bleepingcomputer tools on two others variations successfully on a friend and colleague’s tubes, and the instructions were spot on as well.
Good luck!

(Yay, I might finally get credit for answering a question!)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:10 pm
@littlek,
Btw, you may need to disable your automatic screensaver/hibernate feature power settings if you're walking away during the work. Or just wiggle the mouse occasionally so it doesn't auto-shut-down, if you currently have it set to do so.
littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:19 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I gave you the ribbon, but it didn't entirely fix the problem.

I still have popups randomly. And I can't figure out my highjackthis log.
Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:25 pm
@littlek,
Have you deleted your temporary internet files after the infection? Even though the program itself is removed, it could have created some files that still attract pop-ups, and that Bill's removal tool left in place.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:27 pm
@littlek,
Have you tried the HijackThis-website?

You can run HijackThis, and then copy the logfile and paste it into the textbox here: http://hijackthis.de/en
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:38 pm
@littlek,
Sending sympathy..

I got some damn thing yesterday warning me about malware infection called "monster" on my pc (I have a mac); I've seen that thing before and gotten rid of it, but it never takes no for an answer. Had to force quit... Just saying, that was agitating enough, I'd be plum irritated if I were you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:42 pm
Thomas - that seemed to help! THANK YOU!

Old Europe. I will do that. I was looking for another good place to plop my HJT log. (sigh)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
@littlek,
I'm sorry. That worked perfectly when I used it. It may sound silly, because you probably did; but you did you restart your computer after a scan as well?
littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:53 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
It's been rebooted a couple times. I went ahead and ran STOPzilla. Had to buy it for it to cure the system. I am wondering why my AVG and Ad-Aware didn't work in the first place.