Computer problem

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 04:44 pm
I have an HP desktop, windows 10. I run Chrome. When I start up, more than half of the time, an MSN page pops up, unbidden. I shut it down and go about my business. I want to know how to get rid of that MSN, because I know it has to be put there by some sort of malware.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,107 • Replies: 36

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 04:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Post a screenshot so we can see what it is, thanks.
roger

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 04:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
No answer, but it happens to me as well. For what it's worth, it started with a replacement hard drive. Mine usually only appears as a clickable address at the top of the page. Sometimes, the full screen appears, but not at startup. I'm using Windows 7 as browser, but have also set up Chrome and Foxfire.

It's an ugly screen and I would like to get rid of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 06:44 pm
@jespah,
I don't know how to post a screen shot. edit

It looks like a normal start up, except it's MSN with a different search engine
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2018 07:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
This might help. http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-ca/msn/ff808634.aspx
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 04:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Start by going into Settings in Chrome and seeing what your start page and search engine are set to. Change them if necessary.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:05 am
@rosborne979,
I have done that and even set it to remove the search engine the other start page uses. Does no good.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
I tried to do that and got nowhere.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:57 am
@edgarblythe,
If you get real desperate, you can delete everything to factory setting. How to reset computer to factory setting www.top-password.com
To access it, follow these instructions:
Boot the computer.
Press F8 and hold until your system boots into Windows Advanced Boot Options.
Select Repair Cour Computer.
Select a keyboard layout.
Click Next.
Login as an administrative user.
Click OK.
At the System Recovery Options window, select Startup Repair.
Restore To Factory Settings – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
https://neosmart.net/wiki/restore-to-factory-settings/
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 01:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Try making sure Chrome is your default browser.

To do this, go into the "Type Here" box in Windows 10 and enter "default browser", and go there. Once there, make sure Chrome is selected as your default.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 01:51 pm
@rosborne979,
I did as you suggested and it has Chrome as default. The popup start page is less frequent now and has not showed today. It showed a couple of times yesterday and at least a time or two every day.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have thought about the factory setting option. Not ready to go there, yet.
thack45

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't know if it would work in your case, but I've found System Restore to be helpful several times in the past
thack45

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:50 pm
@thack45,
There could be a snag with System Restore and Winders 10 however. According to this, although the restore feature is there, it needs to be manually enabled – something that wasn't the case on older versions. I only quickly scanned the article, but it looks like it's saying that no restore points will be created prior to enabling. What a crock
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2018 06:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ok. The next step would be to make sure that Chrome doesn't have any extensions in it which might be AdWare or Malware. This can also be found in "Settings" under "More Tools" > "Extensions".

It's also possible that your machine has real malware or adware running on it, but usually those programs don't take you to MSN sites, they take you to more annoying places like Bob's Free Trash ... click here, click here, click here, etc. So it doesn't sound like Malware or AdWare to me. It sounds to me like a "feature" which the brilliant marketers at Microsoft found a way to squirrel away into the OS somewhere and call it a "Setting" or something like that.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 06:03 am
@rosborne979,
I went over extensions and didn't come up with anything.
It happened a few minutes ago. Just a normal looking startup page, but for MSN, with Bing search. It really doesn't affect my use of the PC, so I am reluctant to reload windows.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 06:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Does it happen every time you start chrome or just sometimes?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 09:52 am
@rosborne979,
Sometimes it starts before I start Chrome. About an hour ago, I opened Chrome and after a minute or two it started over Chrome.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 09:59 am
@edgarblythe,
It sounds like some type of "Windows Tip" or "Notification" function. You can search for those things in the command search box, or with Cortana, then turn them off if you can find them. It might also be a News Feed setting coming from a News App.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 12:46 pm
@rosborne979,
That last wouldn't surprise me. I get so many news feeds and requests from news feeds that I no longer respond to most.
0 Replies