Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:02 pm
@littlek,
ad-aware is not real time unless on the pay plan.

don't know 'bout the other one.

I been fighting fierce bugs as well, LilK.

good luck
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:04 pm
@littlek,
Neither AVG nor Spybot got the crap out of the one's I worked on either. Don't know why. Glad you're fixed now; though I feel guilty for NOT earning my first ribbon. Embarrassed
Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:05 pm
@littlek,
littlek: I just found that AVG ( ver 8.0) is not all that it's cracked up to be. I got some viruses on my computer even with it running. It doesn't chatch everything. I had to reload win XP and restore a lot of programs. I now run ESET's NOD32 virus protection. AG 8.0 failed me.
littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:05 pm
THANKS EVERYONE!
littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:06 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Occom, you did! I just didn't finish the job until Thomas bitch-slapped me. Sorry if I sounded cranky, I was - not your fault.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
@Ragman,
Sorry Ragman!

I guess I'll keep the STOPzilla now that I've paid for it. Should I drop ad-aware or avg?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:14 pm
@littlek,
I still live and die with ad-aware...

(still alive so far)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:40 pm
As it stands now (and I am about to quit), I still get popups websites, but now the STOPzilla shuts them down within a few moments. I also am still having weird typing issues - I sometimes seem to be advancing (while typing text) but it shows up as blank spaces (as if I am hitting the space bar and not the text keys).

I'm pooped.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:46 pm
@littlek,
You could also enable the popup blocker in IE7 by going to tools, popup block, enable
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:52 am
@littlek,
That sucks. I wish I could call Timber for you. Sad
jespah

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 09:48 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Same here.

One thing he used to recommend, though, was running HJT in safe mode, as that shuts off some processes and seems to make it easier to read the log.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:38 am
I am trying to do a back up. The computer is glitchy, but functional. I figure even a bad copy is better than no copy. It's running, but I don't know where it is running to - I have a disc in the drive, but it hasn't asked me to change it out.

I still get popups, I've dumped cookies and temp files several times. I cleaned the disc. I will defrag later.

Do you think it's time to take it to a professional?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:44 am
@littlek,
Either that or try to get Craven's attention. Sorry I help.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
Twice, over a period of a couple of years, I have picked up malware that slowed down the computer and was causing wierd things. McAfee wasn't touching it and a couple of other free spyware programs didn't do anything. Finally, based on some great recommendations, I installed Spyware Doctor from PCtools and it got rid of the malware both times.

Unfortunately Spyware Doctor (and some other spyware programs) also slowed down my computer so I then uninstalled it, but I have the license code if I should need to put it back. It is rather pricey as Spyware programs go--$30 I think--but that was cheaper than hauling the computer in to the shop.

PCTools will run a free diagnostic that will identify any malware/spyware that is in your computer before you buy and/or install their program though.

Just one other thing to consider.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:45 pm
@littlek,
My defrag (after cleaning) seemed to make a large difference K...

(i'm still having small system errors, (lessening as I purge more) but the pop-ups and major lock-ups are gone)

I had 3 malware removed, but this was right before I saw your thred, so I dint look at IDs.

Ima have a free consult tomorrow, I will see iffn I can learn something to share.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:13 pm
@littlek,
No! No, it is not legitimate.

No legitimate site should scan your computer without your approval, so how would it know you are infected?

talk72000

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:05 pm
@littlek,
I use Firefox or Opera as a browser to make it harder for the hacker to get to the files as they are coded differently from Microsoft Windows. It would be like a house having different sets of keys for the locks in the house. I have Spybot, ZoneAlarm and Sygate running simultaneously. ZoneAlarm and Sygate are free for personal use but must be paid for if used commercially. I usually before turning off the computer go to the Windows system Computer Management program and do a file check or even defrag the hard drive. I click the file check on automatic on start up so the next time I start up the computer windows check for file errors and fixes them.

I use Ccleaner program to clean the files to remove any infection from the Internet. It is also a freeware. ZoneAlarm and Sygate are firewalls. Sygate allows you to block programs that are installed in your computer. With AdWare and Spy Sweeper you could obtain the list of spyware or malware and you could take down their locations and then go to Regedit and remove them from the Registry. Sometimes you have to wipe the folder even from the file system. I have noticed that Spy Sweeper and AdWare sometimes identify each other as spyware so stopped using them but I have them on my computer but deactivated them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 05:14 am
@DrewDad,
This cannot be said enough. It should be etched into everyone's monitor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:47 pm
pcpitstop rules. And especially, a volunteer techie there named Juliet. I also think malwarebytes rocks. That program single-handedly knocked out somewhere are 58 trojan infections on my computer.
Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:12 pm
@littlek,
In my smiliar situation, with AVG8.0 running, I still had over 400 infections. Are you sure the problem wasn't from AVG8.0?
0 Replies