Old hydrocodone /apap

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:53 am
I am in a lot of pain right now and all i can find in my med. cabinate is an old presription for Hydrodone ADAP. I KNOW using old prescriptions is not a good idea, but how bad is it? I need some relief.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,456 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:48 am
@tuckers1,
I've got the same, from somewhat over a year ago. I haven't seen a problem, and I took one within the past month. Couldn't guess when it becomes unsafe or ineffective, but it would have to depend on the storage. If your medicine cabinate is in the bathroom, don't use it to store medicine. The humidity is bad for it.
0 Replies

thegalacticemperor

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:51 am
@tuckers1,
Go for it; don't worry a bit. You're in pain and have pain medication...take it and feel better Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:18 am
@tuckers1,
I would be concerned about liquid medication. If a pill does not look like it is deteriorating, I would take it.

I found an old over the counter medication in the back of my closet some months ago. In the interim, the formula has been changed, and the new formula does not work as well for me. I took the old pills, and they worked just fine. In this case, each pill had been individually wrapped in foil, so that might have lengthened its life.

(BTW, the pills were from the 1980's!!!)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:44 am
@tuckers1,
Im no doctor. So hear that loud and clear Smile

BUT-
to my understanding, around 2 years is still safe.
What happens in the medication just begins to break down and will be less effective .
The Apap is what causes liver and kidney problems when taken at high doses . Since the chemical compound of the drug breaks down as it ages, it is entirely possible that the Apap is MORE effective right now then the morphine part of the pill. I would not take those pills for an extended amount of time because of that. Just use them to get through to a new prescription only.
That apap is dangerous to the liver. So be mindful of that.
0 Replies