iam 13 and fat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:46 pm
iam 13 and i weight 113.8 and iam 5.1 ... but i don't sound fat.. but i look fat ... so plz someone plzz help mee
thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,124 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:50 pm
@candyshop13,
if you are 13, you have a lot more growing to do...

Do you eat healthy?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:50 pm
@candyshop13,
have blood analyis done to see if you have a genetic predisposition to lipid problems
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:51 pm
@candyshop13,
Your size and weight don't indicate that you are fat. You are 13 and still growing. Please try to let your fears go unless asked by your doctor to lose weight. Perhaps some exercise will help you feel more toned.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:11 pm
@candyshop13,
Two things -- diet and exercise, I was chubby at 13 but I started running, lifting weights and training. By the time I was 14 I was 'buff'. I became a great athlete and I still work out now at 48. Don't give up!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:05 am
Eat right and exercise. You're probably going to get taller and some of this will even out anyway, but eating the right foods and getting exercise (e. g. walk home instead of taking the bus, if that's a safe thing to do; get out your bike and ride it; help around the house with chores; go hiking with your friends; etc.) are good things to do and are the foundation for good habits for the rest of your life no matter what you weight now or will weigh in the future.

You can do it. Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:59 am
@candyshop13,
I'm worried - if you say you 113 pounds and 5'1" you are not fat. That is normal weight for your height - it isn't thin, but it is a good normal weight. I'm worried because young people like yourself can end up with an eating disorder if they become too concerned about their weight.

If maybe you would like to tone up your body a bit - I would suggest you exercise regularly. Is there a certain problem area? You could focus your exercise routine on that area. What you should focus on is maintaining your overall health (like others said - eat a healthy diet all 4 food groups and exercise) rather than focus on weight - unless of course a doctor feels you are overweight.

Maybe you could talk with a gym teacher that could help you put together a fitness program you could follow?
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
I read this thread earlier today, and it worried me too. Thanks for bringing this up linkat.

Needless to say, this girl is not overweight. Even if she is untoned, she is not overweight

When did being not overweight become less desireable than being "thin"? What is thin anyway in relation to being a normal weight? If given a choice between the 2, normal weight should be superior to some media idea of thin.

Age 13, 5'1" 113 pounds, and nothing else to go on.

Could it be that she is now getting her womanly curves, and translates that to being fat?

If this young lady decides to come back, I'd like her to know that women, and that's what she's becoming, are supposed to have curves.

Personally, I'm very glad I don't have a boyish figure.

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:45 pm
@chai2,
Exactly - thanks for confirming. As a mom, I really worry about this. I had my 5 year old once tell me she was fat. She still has a little tummy as is normal and she was already upset about it - maybe some one said something about it - or maybe she was comparing herself to her older sister who is stick thin (personally I'd like the stick thin to put on more weight - but it is more that is her growing stage right now - growing like a weed and her weight can't keep up).

I pondered on how to write my answer - I think it can be positive to focus on health overall. Exercising and eating healthy. But I also wanted to make sure this poor girl isn't getting a bad body image. You are right - this is an age where your body is going through many changes - sometimes you are a bit ackward - just remember it is normal. You also need to be aware that with so much growing and changing it is very important to eat right - that means unless a doctor tells you - do not diet. You need food and the right types to develop healthy. Being stick thin isn't healthy - being a normal weight is healthy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:48 pm
@candyshop13,
Kilograms or pounds?
NickFun

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@McGentrix,
138 kg WOULD be a porker.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm
@NickFun,
Exactly. You never know.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 01:24 pm
@candyshop13,
Different people have different frame sizes and different proportions, so just weight doesn't tell the whole story. What is it about yourself that you think looks fat?

What kind of activities do you do? Do you play any sports?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 01:42 pm
i'm 45 and fat

uh, wait, is this some kinda support group
coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 02:00 pm
Here is a weight chart that confirms that you are not overweight. Check it out. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@djjd62,
djjd

I invite you to join in on joe (i've been eating too many bagels) nation's thread "everything you ate yesterday"

When you have to tell God and everybody what you put in your stomach the day before, it really makes you think twice.

As of right now, I've lost 6 pounds since the beginning of October.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:00 pm
@candyshop13,
candyshop13 wrote:

iam 13 and i weight 113.8 and iam 5.1 ... but i don't sound fat.. but i look fat ... so plz someone plzz help mee
thank you
Nope. You don't sound fat, but you think you look fat. By now I'm sure you've heard of Anorexia Nervosa. I'm not suggesting you have it; just that it's something to be aware of to help you see that you don't develop it. In the mean time; I'd recommend:
1. Stay off the scale. It isn't your weight that concerns you; it's your look... and improvements here don't always coincide with weight gains or loss.
2. Pick an exercise you can stand (running, biking, swimming) and try to bring your heart rate to at least 120 for at least 20 minutes, at least 3 times a week. This will do wonders for your cardiovascular health. Weight training with low weight/high reps will also tone your body, without turning you into a boy.
3. No matter how much exercise you do; Diet is important, and no realistic (see Phelps) amount of exercise will change that. If your username implies you like candy; that is most likely your problem. More specifically; SUGAR is your enemy. Reduce it; and you will reduce fat more effectively than any exercise ever would. Really.

Why? Your body runs on sugar. It also prefers the path of least resistance; so it converts food roughly in this order:
a) Converting sugars, high fructose corn syrup, etc into the simple sugar your body runs on is easiest, so if you give it a steady dose, this is virtually all it will burn (you can probably guess what happens with the rest of what you eat).
b) Starches like potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. and the second easiest thing to convert to the simple sugar your body runs on. You may or may not find it necessary to reduce these things; but potato chips, Doritos etc are poison. Stay away from that kind of processed crap.
c) Everything else is basically "free" if you're not overdoing a) and/or b).

Typically, Americans pack so much sugars and starches in their bodies that their bodies seldom ever have to break down proteins and fats into energy. This is bad for several reasons:
a) The simpler a food is for your body to convert; the faster it does so. This results in blood-sugar peaks and valleys throughout the day that make you feel alternately tired or energetic.
b) Said sugar spikes frequently result in diabetes... which is a pain in the ass that would all but disappear if our addiction to sweets was overcome.
c) Excess sugars result in fat deposits on your body which has health issues, as well as aesthetic, issues of it's own.

So, when you get off the sugar; your body will take longer to break down the other foods you eat, which in turn will work to stabilize your blood sugar levels... which will all but eliminate your energy peaks and valleys as well as much of the unwanted fat. You will feel much better too.

Think of the animals: Those who consume meat for a living have a tendency to be lean, mean killing machines, while those who graze tend to store more for "later." Notice that animals that have binocular vision (focus both eyes on the same target) are natural predators and need to stay lean and strong to catch their food. That is your ancestry. Gathering meat is the reason you needed depth perception (binocular vision), so it follows that if you eat like a predator; your body will respond accordingly... and it does.

Anyway, for most people and especially most people in their teens, getting rid of the sugary treats alone will have a dramatic effect on their body weight. I'll add my own experience just for example, though your results may vary.

I hit about 200 pounds almost a decade ago... which wasn't terribly fat on my frame; but I decided I didn't like the gut I was developing... and my weight seemed to be on a one way street; UP! I read Dr. Atkins book and several competing diets and decided to give his a try. His seemed to make the most sense.

I should mention that my diet at the time was as deplorable as it could be. Fast food, ice-cream by the half gallon, and a half a dozen cans of Coke a day.

Step 1: I spent about a week eating nothing but meat, cheese and eggs; which shocks your body into a state known as ketosis. Put simply; by depriving your body of everything that's simple to convert to energy; it goes hyperactive on converting the hardest things to convert (fats and proteins). During this week I ate about a half a dozen eggs, a pound of cheese and a pound of beef every day... and lost about 7 pounds, anyway, which I found as astounding as it was encouraging.

Step 2. I became conscious of my carbohydrate intake, as according to the book everyone has a "personal carbohydrate" number per day:
Consume less than that number; you lose weight.
Consume more than that; you gain weight.
Consume exactly that; you maintain weight.

The trick is to add to your daily carbohydrate intake number once a week until you've found your "personal carbohydrate" number. Once you know this; you can move your weight up and down at will. Note: Lifestyle changes, like exercise, will automatically add to this number, so if you want more carbs, earn them.

Truth is, I never finished step 2... because it became evident that I didn't really need to. I pretty much resumed eating what I wanted, minus Ice cream and Soda, and tried not to overdue the fast food too much. After about 6 months, with no other changes, my body weight settled at about 165 and I was happy with that. In other words; excessive Ice Cream and Coca-cola added about 35 pounds to my body, and removal of same reversed it just as easily. Its just sugar... and it really is that simple.

Years later after opening a restaurant and while paying no attention at all to what I ate, I climbed back up to 195... and realized that I had again resumed eating sweets and drinking soda. No biggie. This time I just gave myself a quick visit to ketosis (happens really fast after you've done it once; your body remembers), consciously cut the sweets out, switched to Coca-cola "Zero" (<--awesome stuff, that), and Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 (Not great, but okay once you get used to it), and that's it.

6 months later I'm again walking around at 165 with my 40 year old belly all but gone, and I'm feeling pretty damn good about it. Other than avoiding sweets (usually), sugared soda, and full-fat beer; I eat any and everything else I want and can easily maintain this weight forever. If I feel like cheating; I do... but follow Atkins advice and limit splurge days to no more than once in a week or two. Btw, during that "cheat day" it doesn't matter how much you cheat, so go nuts!

The moral to the story is; "diets" should be considered changes in your daily diet; not temporary weight loss solutions. Eating healthy is the obvious goal, but weight-wise there need be no limit on quantity whatsoever. Those fortunate enough to have a metabolism like mine need only give up a few things... but everyone has a threshold or "personal carb number" that will tell them how much they can get away with; if they're patient enough to identify it. I wasn't, but again, I didn't need to once I realized sugar is the enemy; not fat or even food. Just sugar. It really is that simple.

Good luck, and best wishes.
0 Replies