So I noticed Al Franken almost won

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:31 pm
What's the deal with Al Franken? I didn't know he was a politician - I thought he was a comedian. I remember him from SNL skits, but not much else. Besides being butt ugly and a bit funny, I didn't know he actually had other skills.

So is he really a qualified politician or just ran for fun? Like the wrestler who was governor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,867 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
@Linkat,
Yes and he may win yet if he can manage to reorder a recount that will go in his favor. A really sad commentary on our times, isn't it.

But then when I went to vote yesterday, there was Cynthia McKinney's name right there in the mix with Obama, McCain, Nader, and a couple of others. She probably got some votes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:56 pm
@Linkat,
Jesse Ventura was the wrestler -- also Minnesota.

There definitely will be a recount (automatic because it was so close -- he didn't call for it himself).

There are all these hints of some sort of legal trouble for Norm Coleman (Franken's opponent) but I don't know how much substance there is.

Franken used some humor in his campaign (there was one good commercial called "the running man,") but is actually running to be a serious politician.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:19 pm
@sozobe,
So he actually has good qualifications? Not mocking or making fun - just curious as to whether he is a "real" candidate - in the sense that he is qualified and not just a viable candidate because everyone is sick of the opponent.
Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:33 pm
@Linkat,
If by "good qualifications" you mean that he has experience representing people in legislatures, writing laws, and so forth, no he doesn't have them. He is as unreal as governor Schwarzennegger is, and as governors Ventura and Reagan were.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:45 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Republican Sen. Norm Coleman declared victory for a second term from Minnesota, even as the state this afternoon explained how it intends to recount nearly 3 million votes cast in his battle with Democrat Al Franken.

Coleman added that Franken should abandon any pursuit of a recount, saying that "the prospect of overturning [the necessary] votes is extremely, extremely, extremely remote." Franken could request that there not be a recount, but there is no hint that he would make such a move.

Coleman, whose lead in the unofficial state tally stood at 475 votes as of 4 p.m. today, said from his headquarters in St. Paul that he is "humbled and grateful for the victory that the voters gave us last night."
Source

http://i38.tinypic.com/20k8vic.jpg
Source: Minnesota Secretary of State
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:46 pm
Al is a Harvard grad and very intelligent. He's also the most arrogant man I have ever met.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:32 pm
@NickFun,
Sounds like a political dream.

I was asking Set about this earlier as I hadn't realized that he (Al) was a candidate with an actual chance of making it through.

I'm going to have dig his book out of the heap of to-be-reads and take a look at it. Errrr, mebbe even open it this time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@Linkat,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@Thomas,
I mean he has some sort of quality education, a degree of intelligence, and is not just doing this for "laughs" sort of thing.

People do run for "laughs". A friend of my dad's ran for mayor once - I wrote his speach - he came in dead last, but still quite a few people voted for him.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:33 pm
@NickFun,
Perfect - especially the arrogance - that is what I meant by qualifications.

By the way, my dad's friend ran on dare/bet - I think he got a six pack out of the bet. And no - although a nice guy, he certainly was not qualified.
sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:39 pm
@Linkat,
More on Norm Coleman's legal troubles:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/243263.php

Quote:
As we've noted, the Coleman-Franken race is going to a recount. So it's definitely not over. But if it should soon prove to be over, and Coleman wins a second term in the senate, let's not forget about those charges that surfaced in the last few days of the race. According to claims contained in court filings (statements made under penalty of perjury), Coleman's sugar daddy Nasser Kazeminy funnelled $75,000 for Coleman's personal use by channelling it through cut-out 'work' by Coleman's wife, an actress and sometime inventor who obtained an insurance license only in late 2006. We took a wait and see approach in the waning days of the election, because these were just charges and a lot of stuff gets thrown around in the final days of a campaign. So caution was merited.

But more sources are coming forward now, who make me think these charges, and others, are the real thing. And as you know, bribes to members of Congress are strictly frowned upon. And increasingly so.

So we're digging in.
parados

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

Al is a Harvard grad and very intelligent. He's also the most arrogant man I have ever met.

I guess you haven't met Norm Coleman then.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I mean he has some sort of quality education, a degree of intelligence, and is not just doing this for "laughs" sort of thing.

By this token, I'd say Franken is qualified. He does have a quality education (BA from Harvard), seems highly intelligent to me, and is serious about running. Although he's a comedian, he isn't doing this for laughs.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:12 pm
@Thomas,
I agree - I wasn't aware of his background - glad that he isn't like my dad's friend.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm
@sozobe,
So I wonder how this will effect things - what happens if he is found guilty - as far as the Senate seat goes?
wandeljw

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:19 pm
Apparently, there may be a recount in the senate race involving Al Franken:
Quote:
The margin shrinks further
(by Kevin Duchschere, Minneapolis Star Tribune, November 6, 2008)

A few minutes ago Sen. Norm Coleman’s lead over Al Franken narrowed to 338 votes, down 100 votes from the margin of 438 that’s been reported this morning. Shortly afterward, it dropped by another two votes, to 336.

That’s according to the Secretary of State’s election results website, which now shows that Coleman has 1,211,526 votes (41.99 percent) and Franken has 1,211,190 (41.98 percent).

Why the shifts? It’s because county auditors are finding minor errors as they’re proofing their unofficial numbers before shipping them to St. Paul, said John Aiken, spokesman for Secretary Mark Ritchie.

“The counties are trying to be as accurate and transparent as possible. You’ll see fluctuations here and there,” Aiken said.

It happens all the time in every election, he said. The only difference is that for most elections, the margin is much wider and the election less prominent. Here, he said, “The eyes of the nation are on this Senate race.”
parados

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:28 pm
@Linkat,
I think more is being made of this than there is.

A politician's wife gets "job" that pays good money. There is little evidence that any work is being done to earn that money. If they want to throw Coleman out for that, 90% of those in Congress will probably have to resign. Most of them have been accused of this at one point or another. Lots of spouses get 6 figures salaries.

The bigger issue in my opinion is a spouse that works for "consulting company" that is paid by a politician's campaign funds.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/politics/06delay.html
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:35 pm
@wandeljw,
No maybe about it.

Local public radio talked about it this morning.

Automatic recount before vote is certified.
Once vote is certified, loser can contest.
Contested election requires judge to appoint 3 man teams to count votes within 20 days. (1 member selected by each candidate and the third agreed upon non partisan)
If judge is not approved of by one side, they can request a 3 judge panel to oversee the recount.
This can be appealed and ultimately go to state supreme court.

Even if the court approves a winner, the US Senate is the final arbiter and can refuse to accept the count. The mentioned a case from 1964 Vermont? where the 2 candidates finally agreed to a new election in September after waiting for the Senate to resolve it from the previous Nov election.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:18 pm
@NickFun,
"Al is a Harvard grad and very intelligent. He's also the most arrogant man I have ever met."

I read "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot...and other ****" I figured what the heck, might be funny...and it was in places, but overall it was just snide...and yes arrogant. It is possible to write about your own/opposing political views and not be a total jerk about it, but I don't think Al can.

He wrote about being invited to the Clintons yearly retreat at Marthas Vineyard, where they discussed political strategies and played touch football on the beach, but I have no idea if he was making that part up or not...because he had this habit of telling a story, then two or three chapters later stating that he had made the story up. Honestly the only thing I really got from the book was that he hated Rush and Newt with a passion....and I think that was his sole intent anyway.
0 Replies