I Did Not Support Obama

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:00 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Truce!

No, she's saying that's what she thought. Past tense. Now you've proven her wrong and she sees the error in her thinking. She said that last bit because maporsche couldn't just let that one slide. (Please, maporsche, I understand the good work you've done today but this one was probably better left alone.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:07 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Unbelievable. I tried to be gracious and you come back to say that even though we're cool now I still have to be a racist for supporting Hillary?

Bear, if FreeDuck can see it clearly, you can too. And my hand is still extended. If you chose to slap it away, I'll have to accept that.

Bottom line, a racist would not have supported Obama. Come hell or high water.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:48 pm
I also did not support Obama, but neither did I support McCain.
My vote was a write-in, for Evan Bayh.

Having said that, I do hope that Obama succeeds as President, and I do hope that he has a very successful presidency.
I will support him when I think he's right, and will oppose him when I think he's wrong.

I will admit to havind some reservations about him, because I honestly dont see how he can do everything he promised, especially since some of his promises are directly opposite each other, meaning that if he keeps one, he cant keep another one.

I also do wonder if the image he projected during the campaign is the real Obama, or if he was hiding part of who he is.
If I am wrong, I will be the first one to admit it, but I dont know if I am or not.
Time will tell.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:44 pm
@mysteryman,
Glad to hear it, MM. I know you thought a lot about the choices in this election.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:47 pm
Interesting that anyone who didn't jump behind Obama immediately might be perceived as a closet racist.....

Strange days indeed.

Anyway.....

The thing about Obama, who I did indeed vote for, that gives me hope is how he electrified the young people in America. I've never seen that in my life (I was 3 when JFK was killed so I don't remember his electricity). My hope is that these people stay engaged and don't become cynical so that we can grow a generation of people who once again believe in the promise of America. I hope he can shuck off the sound bite mentality of the populace so that people become more curious and considered in their own opinions. I hope he lives up to his promise.
eoe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:54 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Interesting that anyone who didn't jump behind Obama immediately might be perceived as a closet racist.....

Well, I guess that includes me too because I didn't 'jump behind Obama immediately' either.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:47 pm
@eoe,
My lord we have all kind of nuts in this group do we not!

Yes you can indeed be a supporter of someone other then a black man and not be a racist!

My problem with Obama and why I supported Hillary was that Obama seem to be very wet behind the ears for the job and we almost ended up in a nuclear war when Kennedy was still wet behind the ears and did not land US marines behind the Cubans troops at the bay of pigs.

He had howver been impressing me and we need another Kenndy right now in office.
BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bear nuts come in all kind of shape and sizes and the right wing don't have all the nuts in their home it would seem.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:07 pm
@BillRM,
Bear nuts?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm
@BillRM,
Not marines, by the way. He failed to deliver on the promised air cover.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Bottom line, a racist would not have supported Obama. Come hell or high water.

Not necessarily, eoe. My dad has quite a few racist ideas about blacks (that we've had some pretty roiling arguments about), and he voted for Obama. I was surprised when he told me Wednesday after the vote. The way he put it, he voted Obama because the country needs a change from Republican rule (this from a man who generally believes in militaristic hegemony, and who supported the Iraq war as a war against Saddam Hussein, and as a means to control Iraqi oil), and he saw McCain as a mere continuation of that. Early on he was kind of influenced by the smears against Obama regarding him being a Muslim and a born Kenyan, etc, etc. but he came to see through it (He sees Obama as an immigrant, which my dad himself is, or as the product of an immigrant). He stressed that his vote was most certainly not because Obama is a black man, or because of civil rights, or the need for change because of that. He merely thought that Obama was the better candidate. What was worse for him was McCain's negative, bullying manner that he exhibited during the debates, and the fact that he's a Republican. Go figure.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:29 pm
@roger,
Kennedy did indeed blowed the Bay of Pig sitiuation in many ways and that then led to the Cuban missiles crisis.

He then handle the missile crisis very well but there should had been no missiles crisis to begin with.

Beside everything else you do not land troops in harm way and then walk away from them. Very very shameful in my opinion.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:17 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Good post, Bear. I echo your sentiments.
0 Replies