Farewell to Bush

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:40 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Wiki is wrong on this one. He's much shorter than that. I have met the man. I am 5' 11". I am considerably taller than Bush. I'd guess he's about 5' 9". But your observation in re: stupidity holds true, Mr. S.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:20 pm
Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 02:55 am
@Merry Andrew,
Thanks. I do understand the reading came from an official (and publicised) health check. However, Bush's health was never as much of an issue as Dick Cheney's - he had real issues with abnormal heart beat this year and was hospitalised in early 2007 for a blood clot - 4 heart attacks since 1978!

Not much a 'fall-back' President for the one who almost managed to choke to death on a pretzel! The excitement of getting the top job would have done him in. I don't know if the Sec of State is next in line - but either Colin Powell or Condi could have been the first 'black' President.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:30 am
@firefly,
From author Tobias Wolff

No, I can't get over it, and neither can my friends, hard as we all try. When we meet for dinner we do our best to take up other subjects - books, gossip, movies, our children - but then, like the addicts we've become, we sneak back to the drug of outrage, shooting up the latest barefaced lie and squalid revelation, not forgetting to list yet again the national and global catastrophes brought about by the incompetence, hypocrisy, muddleheadedness, venality, truculence, mendacity, callousness, zealotry, machismo, lawlessness, cynicism, wishful thinking, and occasional downright evil of the administration of George W Bush. Our economy is in freefall, our public school system a disgrace, our military exhausted, the wounded and traumatised dying of neglect, yea, the very earth groaning for relief - and he's optimistic! Yessiree! Looking forward to it! Leaning toward us over the podium with that exasperated little squint and that impatient, dentist-drill voice, utterly at a loss as to how he got saddled with a nation of such gloomy Guses and crybabies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/nov/02/george-bush-legacy-usa
snood

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:49 am
@McTag,

McTag:
Quote:
Leaning toward us over the podium with that exasperated little squint and that impatient, dentist-drill voice, utterly at a loss as to how he got saddled with a nation of such gloomy Guses and crybabies.

That passage, and what went before it, captured most of the deep disdain I have for the faux cowboy from Crawford. His supporters seemed to set the bar so low for him that when he pulled off a public statement without noticably bumbling they regarded it as some kind of statesman-like triumph. They are the same ones who are so hopelessly in denial that they are turning a blind eye to his myriad failures and proclaiming some future elevation of Bush's stature by historians. Doubtless they are the same straight shooters who will accept nothing less from Obama than immediate, measurable progress on our deeply entrenched financial and foreign policy problems.

Goodbye shrub and good riddance.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:52 am
In his post presidency he will be so much fun to watch as he attempts to live a life of relevance. I predict that he will sink into an early onset ALzheimers because he has the signs of an aphasia already.
Betcha.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:03 pm
@farmerman,
Very classy
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:10 pm
@farmerman,

Karma dictates Alzheimer's will effect you our someone very close to you.
old europe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:13 pm
@H2O MAN,
Karma also dictates that you're actually the ghost of the waterguy typing...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@old europe,
Care to elaborate?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:59 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Karma also dictates that you're actually the ghost of the waterguy typing...

Wow.

Can you be more obscure (or nonsensical)?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn by the last polls 80 percent or more of this country is in agreement with the idea that Bush leaving office is a wonderful thing indeed.

See the man did bring the country together after all. Hell he even unify the whole world far better then the UN ever did.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:51 am
@gungasnake,
The forces you could raised in a CW2 over Bush would all fit in a very small car.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:56 am
@Debra Law,
Would any one like to place a bet that our presidetn will pardon Ted Stevens, the Alaska Senator on his way out of the White House?

Second how about a bet that he will order an attack on Iran nuclear program on his way out also?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:00 am
I hope he lives to be at least 200...
Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:57 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
I hope he lives to be at least 200...

...so he can find out what happened to 'The Pet Goat'.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:58 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The Bush Administration: "The most incompetent and corrupt administration in US history". Good Riddance.

I'll bet you can't give one and only one specific example of corruption, and don't just post a link.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:14 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I'll bet you can't give one and only one specific example of corruption, and don't just post a link.

A single raindrop doesn't cause a flood.

But here's one of the drops... Libby/Plame Affair (Outing a CIA agent)
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:50 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Quote:

A single raindrop doesn't cause a flood.

But here's one of the drops... Libby/Plame Affair (Outing a CIA agent)

Libby was convicted of obstruction and similar crimes pertaining to the investigation of the Plame Affair. No one was convicted of anything connected with the actual security breach, and no one else was convicted of anything in connection with the investigation. No lawsuit has been successful.

As far as I can see, Libby was guilty and deserved his punishment. President Bush commuted the jail sentence, but the federal felony conviction, probation and fines remained. I'd agree that the commutation of Libby's sentence was wrong.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I'd agree that the commutation of Libby's sentence was wrong.

Good. One raindrop down...
0 Replies