I AM PROUD

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:47 pm
The first black man i got to know was my grandfather's chauffeur. I didn't know that i wasn't supposed to like him, to talk to him and treat like a friend, and only long after my grandparents had passed on did i learn how upset they were. But i didn't hear about it because my other grandparents, the ones with whom i lived, treated him like any other visitor to our home. I remember being very small, and thinking he must be someone important, because he was seated in my grandfather's favorite chair. I didn't even think about the fact that my other grandparents were sitting in chairs out on the lawn, about how they didn't come in again until he had left the home. I knew he looked like the porters on the trains who used to smile at us, and knew our names (You're Dewey's boy, aren't you?), and brought us pillows and sandwiches from the club car (because my grandfather, who worked for the railroad, treated them with the same ordinary courtesy and decency that he showed to my other grandfather's chauffeur, and any man or woman of any description).

So i was rather shocked, and mystified, and saddeded by the sudden violence of the civil rights movement, and had to have it explained to me why these people were demonstrating. I was older by then, my grandfather was gone, although we still lived with my grandmother. I remember the first time i heard of the preacher from Georgia, Martin Luther King, who was organizing protests for city workers in Alabama.

I quickly understood the hatred; and if i didn't understand it, i accepted the fact of the violence. The four white boys who disappeared and were later found to have been murdered; the white housewife from Michigan who was murdered; Medgar Evers murdered in the driveway of his home . . . and then, the year i went off to university; the murder of Martin Luther King.

I would never then have thought that a man of African descent would ever, in my lifetime, have been elected President of the United States. As recently as a year ago, i'd not have believed it.

Tonight, i am very, very proud of my country.

I also want to express my respect for John McCain for the honor and dignity with which he spoke in conceding this election.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 41 • Views: 10,939 • Replies: 129

Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:51 pm
@Setanta,
Congratulations America.

You've come a long way, baby.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:55 pm
@Setanta,
Good post, setanta. I share your sentiments.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:04 pm
@Setanta,
Nicely said, Chief.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:25 pm
The entire evenings returns, concession, and speech by Obama were magnificent. The results came in swiftly and when it appeared that the die was cast, John McCainn came out and spoke from the heart and restored some of my sagging respect for this man.
Obamas speech, a speech to the country and the world, was actually a statement of intent and it was stirring one of the best since Kennedy.

Now th work begins.

OH, By the WAY Mr Bush, ----youre fired.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:31 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Congratulations America.

You've come a long way, baby.

I'll second that. A great day for the US and for the world as a whole.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:05 am
@Setanta,
Setanta, I would like to see a book written about the whites who grew up knowing that racism was wrong, even those who grew up in families who only talked in racist terms.

The feelings of anger and disappointment for the people we otherwise loved have remained with us all our lives.

I finally feel that my life and beliefs have been acknowledged by the rest of the country. I wish my parents were alive to see this day, and I wonder how they would feel about something they would have considered abhorent.
JPB

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:21 am
@Setanta,
Me too, Set. I posted my thoughts on being at tonight's rally in Chicago on another thread and I'll copy them here. I too am very proud.

John McCain is an exceptional person as he demonstrated this evening. His concession speech was broadcast live to the crowd in Chicago at Grant Park where an estimated 200,000 people listened with respect and gratitude to Senator McCain's words.

I was in the middle of that crowd and I've been a long supporter of John McCain. My respect for him continues. Particularly in light of his words this evening. John McCain was well applauded during and after his speech with a single key exception -- when he spoke of Sarah Palin. I'll leave that there...

My experience tonight was long, tiring, and electrifying. I arrived downtown around 6:00, met K at her dorm shortly thereafter, took her out for a quick pizza dinner and then found my place in the very, very, very long line to enter the park around 7:30. We made fast friends with all around us because Mr B was texting EV updates to my cell phone as the numbers came in.

We entered Grant Park around 9:30 and worked our way down towards the "bowl" by 9:45. We started "swimming" the crowd - picking a spot here, seeing an open spot then, getting closer and closer. We hit paydirt in a perfect location about 9:55. CNN was broadcasting live on large screens and just a few minutes later Wolf Blizter announced that Virginia was going to Obama and the crowd went crazy!!! We'd heard about Pennsylvania and Ohio while standing in line. Words of joy to be sure but nothing compared to the addition of Virginia while standing in the middle of that crowd.

Then, just two minutes later the polls closed on the west coast and they proclaimed Obama the President Elect of the United States of America. I am seldom without words... actually, there were no words.... just shouts, screams, tears, prayers, hugs all around... a moment to be treasured and treasure it I will. So will K. She thanked me a dozen times for bringing her to this rally. She cried at the invocation, she applauded John McCain (while booing SP), and she cried again during Obama's speech.

I haven't seen the press reports of the demeanor of Chicagoans at tonight's rally, but I saw nothing but young, old, black, white, hindu, muslim, singing, cheering, happy people. I was proud to be there tonight. I was proud of Barack Obama. I was proud of John McCain. I was proud of the participants from all over Chicagoland. And, I was proud to be an American.
Francis

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Tonight, i am very, very proud of my country.

Today, I am proud of your country, too...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:11 am
@Setanta,

Ditto ditto Senator McCain, an absolutely marvellous speech.

Glad here too, that PE Obama has successfully achieved the easy part.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:18 am
@JPB,
As an outsider I watched todays proceedings unfold beamed live direct into our sitting rooms down under, and I must say I was greatly impressed. John McCain was gracious in defeat, his final speech was truly magnificient but at 72 years of age he was obviously no match for his much younger opponent. Next we saw the new President elect Barack Obama address a huge crowd with another awe inspiring speech. He has written a new chapter in your history and certainly proved that anything can be achieved in America. You people have certainly proved to the world what a great democracy you are. Congratulations, well done.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:57 am
@Dutchy,
People here followed the election as if it was in their own country, understandably. Many stayed up till 5 am or so waiting to see the results, many election parties taking place.
I, too, felt a surge of pride and the vague feeling associated with witnessing a historical event, being a part of it.... And I was not even a big Obama fan. Sure I would have voted for him over the other guy, but didn't (don't) see him as a particularly outstanding politician otherwise.
My kudos go to the people who took part in his campaign and to the American public, that again showed that anything is possible in this country.

When introducing myself to people, I used to say: "Much of my adult life I lived in America, but..." -- some sort of a disclaimer followed. Now I can skip the BUT. It's ahuge relief, surely not only to me, but to millions around the world.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:25 am
@Setanta,
<goosebumps>

proud to see a changing world!

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:35 am
@Diane,
I remember my sense of outrage and disgust when I first travelled through the South , as a teenager in the late 1950's, and actually saw rest rooms and water fountains labelled "Whites Only" and "Colored Only". My immediate impulse, as a young white person, was to want to drink from the "Colored Only" fountain as the only act of protest and defiance I could think to muster. As I walked toward that fountain, my father gave me a menacing look and said, "Don't you dare do that. Remember where we are." He meant well. He was genuinely frightened of my starting trouble, and he was only trying to protect me. We were in America, but it seemed like hostile territory. I listened to my father, but felt profoundly disturbed.

When the civil rights movement began I felt relieved and happy that there was a movement I could connect to. The naked racial hatred that was exposed--the murders, the bombings, the people set upon with hoses and dogs--came into my home through the black and white images on our TV. I was horrified that this was my country. I wanted to do anything I could to change it. I marched, and protested, and joined sit-in demonstrations. I saw one of my college professors threatened with loss of his job because his picture landed on the front page of the newspaper showing him stretched out on the floor of an apartment building with a group protesting housing discrimination in our area. The university considered him an embarrassment, and they did come close to firing him. I admired him and the example he provided.

When Dr. King said, "I have a dream..." I shared that dream. I wanted that dream to come true for my fellow citizens and for the good of my country. I cheered Bobby Kennedy as he enforced the law as Attorney General, and later delivered messages of hope as a Senator. I despised people like Gov. George Wallace and Lester Maddox. The country was divided into good guys and bad guys. I sang "We shall overcome" and I believed it. And, when Dr. King was murdered, I wept and felt that hope had died.

My youthful passion for social and racial equality never left me, but progress in my country appeared to stagnate. We had knocked down the obvious barriers--in voting, and in segregation in housing and education--but poverty and lack of hope continued to blight our inner cities and creep into our suburbs, bringing with them crime and drug abuse. I saw many more blacks around me graduating from college, going to graduate school and entering the middle class and the professions. More blacks appeared in starring roles on TV and in the movies. More blacks were elected to public office. We were moving in the right direction, but slowly. White America was growing more comfortable having all those non-white faces around them, in positions of equality and authority.

But our prisons continued to disproportionately fill with blacks, substandard schools remained in poor black neighborhoods, drug traffic was allowed to thrive in black neighborhoods until it spilled over and disturbed white neighborhoods with it's direct or indirect effects. We still seemed like two separate societies divided along both racial and economic lines. The poor black kids I met still dreamed of becoming only basketball or rap stars, with no hope of other ambitions, or even of just entering the main stream. When I'd urge them to stay in school and aim for a good job or a profession they'd sometimes tell me they weren't interested in "acting white". Listening to those kids just made me feel sad and dispirited that the American Dream really did not seem to exist for them. When I talked with their mothers I realized that good intentions and love were often not enough to save your child from the street culture. Kids were being killed on the way home from school or in drive-by shootings because they belonged to the wrong gang or had a beef with the wrong person. Drugs and guns offered a sense of power to the powerless. There was very little hope. These pockets of despair would not make anyone proud of their country.

For the first time in my life, I had a chance to do something yesterday that would really signify true equality and social change. I was able to pull a lever and vote for our first African American president. This was something I had hoped for all of my life, particularly since I had laid eyes on that "Colored Only" water fountain. It was why I had protested and demonstrated in the 60's. It was also something I never believed I would be able to do in my lifetime.

I did not vote for Mr. Obama because he is black--I voted for him because I believe that he is a man of exceptional ability and intelligence, and I share his vision for our country. But I feel overcome with joy that my country has progressed so far that a majority of my fellow citizens are no longer blinded by race and mistrustful of a man because of his skin color. I am happy that African American children will really know that in our country anything is possible for them. Today, I am very proud of my country, and much more hopeful about our future. Dr King's dream has come true.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:05 am
@Setanta,
You deserve to be proud.

Frankly I'd given up hope of America ever making the right choice, and this morning I'm stunned.

Obama's victory speech in Chicago was inspirational.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:16 am
I still can not wrap my mind around this.

My great grandmother died about 4 years ago at 112......maybe a little younger then that.. but not by much.

She WAS born to a slave to a very wealthy family
She SAW the world change.
She WAS abused publicly for being black in the 50s
Her parents were slaves..

I wonder , for people who may have had a life span long enough to be close to that era.. how they feel right now.
Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:33 am
@shewolfnm,
Jesse Jackson wept uncontrollably apparently.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I would never then have thought that a man of African descent would ever, in my lifetime, have been elected President of the United States. As recently as a year ago, i'd not have believed it.

It is a start. I think though, that we will have come full circle when we can elect a person because of his/her values, with utter disregard for race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or background.

BTW Setanta, that was a beautiful post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:58 am
@shewolfnm,
I spent ten years of childhood in an integrated part of Fresno, CA. It was pretty quiet on the racial front. Then, at the age of 14, we moved to Texas. Right away, I saw the disparity and the anger of black Americans. I had occasion to see black patrons approach the window in restaurants, then take their food and eat it behind the establishment. Saw water fountains and restrooms labeled for black and white. As a kid in California, I recall the killing of Emmet Til, and our teacher playing a recording of a song about that. I was aware of the church bombing that killed those little girls, and then Medgar Evers and all the other atrocities. The first time I had opportunity, I went with Jesse Jackson on a trip from NYC to DC to protest for civil rights. The change has been very deep in the decades since then. Americans will embrace all colors, given the right circumstances. The situation for the poorest in ghettos has changed very little. There is much work to be done. By the way, I don't think Obama was elected because of his color. If it was simply a matter of black versus white, I believe McCain would have prevailed.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:25 am
@Setanta,
Beautiful post, boss.

And some beautiful sentiments echoed.

Hoo boy.
0 Replies