I AM PROUD

Muarck

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:21 pm
@Setanta,
Well, I'm disgusted!

There's more to the office of the president then just:

Hey, he's black we should give him office so we'll feel better about what our ancestors did.

This is/was a serious country, and we need a serious president. (Not like we're going to get one after George Bush and Barack Obama.)
Intrepid

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:42 pm
@Muarck,
Your lack of comprehension skills is showing. Go back and read again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:45 pm
@snood,
CoastalRat wrote:
Well written, Finn. While disappointed in the results last night, I hope we can all come together and work toward a better tomorrow with our new president, whether we agree with his policies or not.

blatham wrote:
A very level-headed post.

jespah wrote:
Perfect. Lots of grace coming from you and yours. Thank you.

steve 41oo wrote:
its nice to read of someone who be on the losing side with dignity....

cash3 wrote:
Thank you Finn...

0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 10:08 pm
@Setanta,
i'm late to the party as usual, but as everyone's already said, great post, Set, and a great moment in world history.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:57 am
@Intrepid,
It was a joke old boy. A crap one I'll admit.

He was hushing the expectations he had built up in order to get elected. Geddit?

Hush- be quiet. He was hushing in a new BO. In his stockinged feet sort of thing.

"Gently does it. Take it easy folks. Rome wasn't built in a day. I was only kidding before. America is not a toy fort. The financial crisis is head-butting me already. I call it me confronting it head on but that's how I am."

"Usher" would have been silly. His position in time and space is the usher in. To use "usher" would have been tautologous don't you think? He has no choice but to be ushering in. It would have insulted my reader's intelligence to be caught telling them something every ****** knows. That's pomposity.
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:57 am
@spendius,
Actually Intrep it interpreted the press conference in 6 letters which is pretty efficient language usage I would have thought.

Saves you reading all that long-winded white-space filler so beloved of those with time on their hands.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The first black man i got to know was my grandfather's chauffeur.

The fist black man I got to know was an investment banker from Delaware Maryland, and the second one was a stripper from Dallas Texas who went by the name "Ivory".
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:44 pm
@Muarck,
Be disgusted, i don't give a rat's ass.

However, since you obviously missed my point, my pride arises from his having been elected, not because he is black, and not in spite of him being black, but because those who voted for him considered him the best man for the job.

Since you obviously missed this point, i'll point out again that, to paraphrase M. L. King, he was elected not because of or despite the color of his skin, but because of the content of his character.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:48 pm
@Intrepid,
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

I believe an appropriate expression might be hoist on his own petard . . .

Good lookin' out, Intrepid . . .

Yitwail, better late than never.
yitwail

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:05 pm
this may be late, as well, but odd how consistently Obama is characterized as an African-American. i happen to be proud that he's biracial like me. Wink
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:05 pm
@Setanta,
The meaning of that last post depends upon whether the readers here have me on Ignore.

Quote:
However, since you obviously missed my point, my pride arises from his having been elected, not because he is black, and not in spite of him being black, but because those who voted for him considered him the best man for the job.

Change black to white and that applies to Mr Bush. And a lot of others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:19 pm
@yitwail,
He may well be biracial, but i tend to keep my nose out of other people's bedrooms . . .
yitwail

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:43 pm
@Setanta,
that's wise; wouldn't want to bark up the wrong family tree
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:17 am
@yitwail,
I dont like that word biracial. First you have to define race. Then you have to be sure Obama has blood of two only. Sure he's not triracial or multiracial? ...just like...well all of us if you go back far enough Smile
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:33 am
@Steve 41oo,
Going back far enough is a point well-taken--on that basis, all of us are of African descent. Perhaps, like Tiger Woods, we should consider him "multi-racial." Of course, we could just acknowledge that the term race is meaningless.
yitwail

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:43 am
we're all members of the human race (barring any space aliens masquerading as terrans)
RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:36 pm
@yitwail,
Quote:
we're all members of the human race (barring any space aliens masquerading as terrans)

We of the human "race" derive our DNA from less complex organisms, is that still racist?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:03 pm
@RexRed,
But that's not very literary Rex.

It doesn't lend itself to a maudlin expression of sanctimonious personal realization.

0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Going back far enough is a point well-taken--on that basis, all of us are of African descent. Perhaps, like Tiger Woods, we should consider him "multi-racial." Of course, we could just acknowledge that the term race is meaningless.
I hope for most people race is meaningless. But for Lewis Hamilton it matters a great deal.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:06 am
@Steve 41oo,
Addressing the subject of this thread...I watched the Remembrance Day ceremony in London this morning. Am I supposed to feel proud? Of the Glorious Dead? Or angry that so many millions died in a squabble between the ruling elites of Europe? I honour the sacrifice of course...then you read of the utter naivety with which millions flocked to join up in 1914. But the older I get the more angry I become that governments heads of states and royal families solemnly lay wreaths and we all stand and bow our heads and forget that it was those same ruling elites who sacrificed millions of ordinary men and women..