I AM PROUD

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
I'm sure that this is not necessary for those who have responded here, but for anyone else reading this thread who might have missed the point:

If every black man and woman in the country who was old enough to vote had been able to register and vote, it would not have been enough to elect Mr. Obama. If every black man and woman were concentrated in several key states with a lot of electoral votes, and every last one of them had cast a vote for Mr. Obama, it would not have been enough to elect him. Obama was elected because white Americans, in their tens of millions, voted for him.

You are wrong in one implication of your remarks, Phoenix. Obama was not elected because of his race, nor was he elected despite his race. He was elected because he convinced tens of millions of Americans that he offered the best hope for our future, without regard to his race. In this sense, Mr. King's dream has been fulfilled. Obama was elected not because of or despite the color of his skin--he was elected because of the content of his character.
snood

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:04 am
@Setanta,
Word. Thanks, Big Dog.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:06 am
@Setanta,
You mean he was elected for his character since he refused to address any of the issues.

Be careful what you wish for.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:06 am
I hope that the new puppy soon to arrive at the WH will bear a resemblance to Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:09 am
You are more than welcome, Snood. I hope you dance all day.
jespah

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Great posts, Boss. Much giddiness here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
snooder

Thought of you yesterday. And it was the smiley sort of thinking stuff.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:58 am
It's the day after and I'm still crying with a big smile.

I called Butrflynet last night to congratulate her contributions to the Obama campaign. She was with him from the very beginning. Smart woman!

BBB
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:41 am
It is always good for Americans to be proud of America.

I don't think it was necessary for Obama to have been elected last night for us to feel good about how far our society has come in in the last 50 or 60 years, but for some, I guess, it was.

A silver lining in last night's results is that an incredibly significant symbolic milestone has been achieved that, I hope, will pave the way for less focus on separate identities and more on our shared one.

It obviously didn't eliminate racism in America, but I hope it has made it clearer to Americans of all races that prejudice is no longer the barrier to opportunity it once was, and that with hard work, perseverence, and good intent any citizen can achieve any goal in this nation.

A simple majority of white citizens can no longer decide the presidency.

This will frighten some people who believe their interests do not align with those of non-whites, and, frankly, this belief is not intirely irrational. Obviously Obama is going to further redistribute wealth in this country. The extent to which he does will play a role in how race relations develop from this enormously promising point.

The key, in my mind, has always been to provide minorities with the opportunities that will enable them to reside within the various economic classes of our society in the same proportions as whites.

Everyone can't be rich, and some people will always be at the bottom of the economic food chain, but when clearly identifiable groups are, disproportionately, relgated to the bottom there is an undeniable sense of inequality which can't be good for any society.

Hopefully, an Obama adminsitration will work to increase the opportunties of minorites rather than simply compensating them. We will, no doubt, continue to argue about what federal program does or does not constitue a "hand out," but I'd like to think that most of us understand that governmental hand-outs will not solve anything but the most acute problems.

No one who frequents A2K will be surprised to learn that I am very disappointed and concerned about last night's results, but I do recognize that, at least, it has a very bright silver lining.

My hope is the Obama Administration will give us all reason to be prouder still.

We shall see.

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:54 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well written, Finn. While disappointed in the results last night, I hope we can all come together and work toward a better tomorrow with our new president, whether we agree with his policies or not.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
A very level-headed post. Having a liberal in charge begins to change everything quite immediately.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is always good for Americans to be proud of America....

Perfect. Lots of grace coming from you and yours. Thank you.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:27 pm
@Setanta,
dun good, dog-boy!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:39 pm
Cheers, Sheila . . . lose the cat, and we could go discuss these matters in private . . . nudge, nudge, wink, wink . . .
JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:03 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, Set, we SHOULD be proud. Now we have a chance.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think it was necessary for Obama to have been elected last night for us to feel good about how far our society has come in in the last 50 or 60 years, but for some, I guess, it was.

A silver lining in last night's results is that an incredibly significant symbolic milestone has been achieved that, I hope, will pave the way for less focus on separate identities and more on our shared one.

It obviously didn't eliminate racism in America, but I hope it has made it clearer to Americans of all races that prejudice is no longer the barrier to opportunity it once was, and that with hard work, perseverence, and good intent any citizen can achieve any goal in this nation.

A simple majority of white citizens can no longer decide the presidency.

This will frighten some people who believe their interests do not align with those of non-whites, and, frankly, this belief is not intirely irrational. Obviously Obama is going to further redistribute wealth in this country. The extent to which he does will play a role in how race relations develop from this enormously promising point.

The key, in my mind, has always been to provide minorities with the opportunities that will enable them to reside within the various economic classes of our society in the same proportions as whites.

Everyone can't be rich, and some people will always be at the bottom of the economic food chain, but when clearly identifiable groups are, disproportionately, relgated to the bottom there is an undeniable sense of inequality which can't be good for any society.

Hopefully, an Obama adminsitration will work to increase the opportunties of minorites rather than simply compensating them. We will, no doubt, continue to argue about what federal program does or does not constitue a "hand out," but I'd like to think that most of us understand that governmental hand-outs will not solve anything but the most acute problems.

No one who frequents A2K will be surprised to learn that I am very disappointed and concerned about last night's results, but I do recognize that, at least, it has a very bright silver lining.

My hope is the Obama Administration will give us all reason to be prouder still.

We shall see.

having just read some idiot called omsigdavid describing how he has now binned his flag from the front of his house its nice to read of someone who be on the losing side with dignity....

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

...Rudyard Kipling

McTag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:29 am
@Steve 41oo,
On the other hand, Steve, I like it when blind supporters of Bushco have their noses rubbed in it.
McTag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:00 am
@McTag,

Supporters of Bushco have now time to reflect just what their support has done for their country:

"....not forgetting to list yet again the national and global catastrophes brought about by the incompetence, hypocrisy, muddleheadedness, venality, truculence, mendacity, callousness, zealotry, machismo, lawlessness, cynicism, wishful thinking, and occasional downright evil of the administration of George W Bush. Our economy is in freefall, our public school system a disgrace, our military exhausted, the wounded and traumatised dying of neglect, yea, the very earth groaning for relief ..."

And once they have done that, they may start hoisting their flags again in fellowship with, and in support of those who intend to do something about it.
Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:34 am
@McTag,
I cant disagree with those sentiments. Three good things have come out of this election.

America has chosen an inspirational leader
G W Bush is NO MORE
That awful woman is on her way back to Alaska.
Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:37 am
@Steve 41oo,
Actually its like waking up from a really bad dream. Sarah Pallin in the White House...a heart beat away from Commander in Chief...You know maybe there is a god.
0 Replies