John McCain Spam

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:52 pm
Those who know me, know that I am not a very political person. I educate myself and research and make an informed vote for the president, but that is about it. The rest of the term I pretty much have no idea what is going on in the world. That is why it surprised me when I got an email from my 'friend' (as he puts it) John McCain asking me to make history tomorrow, and vote for him. I have no idea how he got my email address. There is a link to unsubscribe at the bottom, but because I didn't register to begin with, I don't trust unsubscribing (spammers often give unsubscribe links that do nothing but verify the email address is valid and the user read the email, and thus send more spam to it). Therefore, I'm just flagging this as spam in gmail. Did anyone else (who didn't want it) get the email? Here it is:

Quote:

My Friend,

From the time I entered the Naval Academy at age seventeen I have been privileged and honored to serve my country.

Vote Throughout my years of service, I've been faced with challenges where I could have taken the easy way out and given up. But I'm an American and I never give up. Instead, I choose to show courage and stand up and fight for the country I love. Today, I am asking you to stand with me and to fight for our country's future.

Our country faces enormous challenges and our next president must be ready to lead on day one. My lifetime of experience has prepared me to lead our great nation. I'm prepared to bring solutions to our economic challenges, bring our troops home in victory and improve our nation's healthcare system.

Time and time again, my country has saved my life and I owe her more than she has ever owed me. I have chosen to show my gratitude through a life of service to our country and tomorrow, you will have a choice before you.

I humbly ask you to make the choice that will allow me to serve my country a little while longer by casting your vote to elect me as your next President of the United States.

Finally, I ask that you never forget that much has been sacrificed to protect our right to vote. We must never forget those Americans who, with their courage, with their sacrifice, and with their lives, have protected our freedom. It is my great hope that you will exercise your right to vote as an American tomorrow.

I thank you for your kind support, your dedication to our cause, and most importantly I thank you for your vote.

With sincere appreciation,

John McCain
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,451 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:12 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick, According to some news reports on TV today, many republican campaign offices for McCain have pretty much closed down. They said most people who worked for McCain have stopped working, because they see the writing on the wall. We'll find out soon enough, but I don't think it'll be tomorrow. There's going to be too many challenges at polling places and voter fraud.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
Intersting. I assumed they were desperate, as I got a call at work today as well, from a supposed "democrat" who is voting for McCain, and wants me to as well. I said "Good to know" and hung up.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:45 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I assumed they had Nebraska wrapped up. Is Nebraska in play?
roger

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:51 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nope. They haven't figured out my email, but they sure know my phone number. I'm finally seeing the benefit of dial-up. The phone doesn't start ringing till I log out.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:00 am
@DrewDad,
The only thing I can think of, is Nebraska is one of the only states that splits their votes up by district. I live in Omaha, which is in the most liberal district in Nebraska. There is talk of Obama taking our district, earning 1 electoral college vote.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:51 am
@Nick Ashley,
I'm bemused that anyone on any side figures they can change someone's mind with a phone call or a mailer. But.. I'm wrong, of course, since I guess there must be some underlying data to warrant all the calls, door knocks, and mailers.

On how they got your email, Nick, I dunno.

I've gotten a few Obama emails since I looked at the site to figure out where the early voting location was in my neighborhood, but I presume you didn't sign up on a McCain site.
0 Replies