Madelyn Dunham -Obama's Grandma, Dies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:43 am
@snood,
Unfortunately, the older we get, we find that more and more people whom we have loved will no longer be amongst the living.

My deepest condolences to Mr. Obama and his family.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:21 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Pamela Rosa wrote:

Perfect timing. Grandmother knew too much.

As I said to H2O Man..." Your empathy and sympathy are an inspiration for us all. " Now, go crawl back into your hole.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:14 am
@Pamela Rosa,
despicable person
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:15 am
@Pamela Rosa,

Your one of the grand old dames of Christianity, right?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:22 am
@snood,
Video of Obama talking about her yesterday:

Transcript:
Quote:
Obviously, this is a little bit of a bittersweet time for me. We have had a remarkable campaign. And, you know, when we started 21 months ago, I didn't know how it would turn out. And no matter what happens tomorrow, I'm going to feel good about how its turned out because all of you have created this incredible campaign. Some of you have heard that my grandmother who helped raise me passed away early this morning. And look, she has gone home. And she died peacefully in her sleep. With my sister at her side. And so there is great joy as well as tears. I'm not going to talk about it too long because its hard, a little, to talk about.

I want everybody to know, though, a little bit about her. Her name was Madelyn Dunham. She was born in Kansas in a small town in 1922. Which means that she lived through the Great Depression, she lived through two World Wars, she watched her husband go off to war while she looked after a baby and worked on a bomber assembly line. When her husband came back, they benefited from the GI Bill and they moved West and eventually ended up in Hawaii. And she was somebody who was a very humble person and a very plainspoken person.

She was one of those quiet heroes that we have all across America who, they're not famous, their names aren't in the newspapers, but each and every day, they work hard. They look after their families. They sacrifice for their children and their grandchildren. They aren't seeking the limelight. All they try to do is just do the right thing. And in this crowd, there are a lot of quiet heroes like that. Mothers and fathers, grandparents who have worked hard and sacrificed all their lives. And the satisfaction that they get is seeing that their children and maybe their grandchildren, or their great grandchildren, live a better life than they did. That's what America is about. That's what we're fighting for. And North Carolina, in just one more day, we have the opportunity to honor all those quiet heroes all across America, and all across North Carolina. To bring change to America to make sure that their work and their sacrifice is honored. That's what we're fighting for.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:39 am
It was a bad weekend to be a relative of an Illinois senator.

U.S. Senator Dick Durbin's daughter dies
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:15 am
@joefromchicago,
Yikes. Congenital heart defect -- does that mean she was sick for a long time?

Meanwhile, Madelyn Dunham's vote will count:

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/11/will_marilyn_dunhams_vote_count
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Pamela Rosa wrote:

As I said to H2O Man..." Your empathy and sympathy are an inspiration for us all. " Now, go crawl back into your hole.

Intrepid, do you have a point to make here?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:21 am
@sozobe,
Soz, I felt sympathetic for Obama as tears ran down his cheecks as he spoke about "Toot", finally having to use a hankerchief to wipe them away. Very hard for him to continue his address to the huge audience.

BBB

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:43 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
video
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/03/obama-on-grandmother-and_n_140698.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:44 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Under what rock do such disgusting people come from?

BBB
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:21 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,

The real nice looking one across from the moldy rock your disgusting self lives under.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:22 am
@H2O MAN,
Your intellect <er, rather lack of - in case you don't understand> is showing.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:23 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Pamela Rosa wrote:

Intrepid, do you have a point to make here?

Yes I do, but you are, apparently, too dense to understand it.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:14 pm
H20 Man is just grumpy because he figures his business will be ruined when President Obama orders everyone to drink the blood of Christian children instead of water.
0 Replies