Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:47 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
The whole I-don't-want-my-child-to-learn-about-gay-marriage-in-schools-because-it-violates-my religious-freedom stance will be the fight they try to make, and will lose.

That's an assertion. It might be because they don't want to explain what happens when the happy couple gets to the honeymoon suite and, I would guess. neither does the happy couple.

Why not? There's going to be some gay ******* going on in that suite. Probably hot and sweaty too. So what's the big deal? The very idea of some guy blowing another guy is undiscussable? Of two ladies gettin' it on?

The obsession that you bigots have with sexuality is unhealthy, really. None of it matters in the end, why don't you just let it go and let people do what they like with equality?

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:11 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't disagree. But stealing the best words of the others is out of order. It's an attack on language and the literature of the past wherein resides all wisdom.

It's Orwellian in essence. Newspeak.

How much of the average homosexual couple's time is spent in the activities you mention. Do they arrive at once a month after five years? What are their roles the rest of the time? Do they take part in the usual social activities which married couples now do? Does one go to the pub while the other sits watching Big Brother and Desperate Housewives darning socks?

It's not so much that one guy blowing another is undiscussable as that it is more or less irrelevant it being such a trivial event.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
We're back in the course to the mental image of the sex in private. If it's bothering someone, I would suggest psychiatry. Sex between adults is a private and personal act that, well hopefully, they aren't video taping for anyone's appreciation. It's not dirty just because the judgmental prudes deem it as dirty (likely because they aren't getting any). The nosy nells should withdraw their Pinnochio sniffers (which also infers lying about what they believe they see) and mind their own business. If they're having other sensory hallucinations like smell, that could be repulsive as well no matter who is having the sex. I'm sure it can't be getting them riled but likely still be repulsive to imagine Mom and Dad doing it, or Grandma and Granddad, or one's own sons and daughters (unless they underage or not married like Sarah Palin's daughter), and since Ken Starr who did a wonderful job advertising BJ's, gawd knows what kind of sex they are having behind closed doors.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:22 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I don't disagree. But stealing the best words of the others is out of order. It's an attack on language and the literature of the past wherein resides all wisdom.

It's Orwellian in essence. Newspeak.

How much of the average homosexual couple's time is spent in the activities you mention. Do they arrive at once a month after five years? What are their roles the rest of the time? Do they take part in the usual social activities which married couples now do? Does one go to the pub while the other sits watching Big Brother and Desperate Housewives darning socks?

Likely. Roles evolve out of necessity as much as gender history.

Quote:
It's not so much that one guy blowing another is undiscussable as that it is more or less irrelevant it being such a trivial event.

I agree. So what's the big deal with gay marriage? If it's so trivial, why get so hung up on it? Just let them do what they want, nothing will change for you at all, and you won't have to hear people go on about it all the time.

I quote for you the famous Kinky Freidman:

Quote:
"Of course I'm for gay marriage; why shouldn't they have the chance to be as unhappy as everyone else?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:40 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

The citizen's vote is not irrelevant 9000, but it does have limitations given the other things that the citizens have voted on and the states have ratified.

A successful vote to put in place things like prop8 contradicts other things in our constitution, so what about the people who fought for things like the equal protection clause? Can people vote to put things in place that contradict it?

Your thoughts are appreciated, but ultimately juvenile in their development.

T
K
O

What is there in the Constitution that the Iowa vote contradicts? Saying it contradicts something in the Constitution doesn't make it so. The equal protection clause doesn't mean that anyone can do anything he wants. It's just a liberal way of torturing the words into nullifying a fair vote. Quote me the passage the Iowa law contradicts. You cannot, and instead will hide behind insults and other irrelevant evasions.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:45 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

Maine just legalized gay marriage today. That's five. And there are, what, something like another 14 that allow civil unions. You're not toast yet, woiyo, but you're definitely starting to brown around the edges.

Actually, the citizens of Iowa voted to prohibit it, and the liberals demonstrated their respect for democracy by inventing something in the constitution to disenfranchise the citizens.

Oh really? When did the citizens of Iowa vote against marriage equality? I googled the matter and cannot verify your statement. Maybe you're right. Can you provide a link?

Brandon: Have you found anything to substantiate your statement that "the citizens of Iowa voted to prohibit it [i.e., marriage equality]"?

Brandon9000 wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

I guess when you think about it, the second that the first state allowed gay marriage was the second that we knew the tide would ultimately change.

The argument against; the argument that this was about protecting marriage, could never fair against the blatant observation that gay marriage in those states in no way threatened anyone. I suspect that the retreat will be to an argument about public schools.

The whole I-don't-want-my-child-to-learn-about-gay-marriage-in-schools-because-it-violates-my religious-freedom stance will be the fight they try to make, and will lose.

T
K
O

And, according to you, how the citizens vote is irrelevant, and if it disagrees with your position, your side will just arrange for the vote to be anulled.

Where did TKO state that "how the citizens vote is irrelevant"? The point you are missing is that the citizens can vote for anything they want. But, if they vote to enact an unconstitutional law, those persons who are adversely affected by the unconstitutional law have standing to petition the court for redress of grievances.

If the voters enacted a law that provided that all persons named Brandon9000 shall be denied the civil rights that everyone else have, then you may petition the court for redress. After all, our form of government is not a pure democracy--it's a constitutional republic that has built-in checks and balances to protect individuals from the adverse consequences of majoritarian oppression.

Quote:
Basic fairness and constitutional equal protection were the linchpins of Friday’s historic Iowa Supreme Court ruling that overturned a 10-year-old ban on same-sex marriage and puts Iowa squarely in the center of the nation’s debate over gay rights.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090403/NEWS/90403010

The point is that it isn't unconstitutional. That's just the liberals disrespecting democracy. The law applies equally to everyone. It doesn't say that A shall have this right and B shall not.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

And, according to you, how the citizens vote is irrelevant, and if it disagrees with your position, your side will just arrange for the vote to be anulled.

How did we 'arrange' for the mostly Conservative Iowa SC to annul the 'wishes of the citizens?' In detail, please.

The truth is that Equality is not a Liberal or Conservative idea but a well-understood legal one. When those who are trained in the application of laws take the question of equality up, it is difficult for them to side any other way than with our position. To you, this is going around the 'will of the people.' Tough ****. The people are not allowed to pass laws that self-violate the Constitution, with impunity.

Cycloptichorn

I agree, but the Iowa law isn't unconstitutional, and by jimmying the Constitution to erase votes that didn't go your way, you are annulling the wishes of the people to gain what you cannot gain by votes.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

The point is that it isn't unconstitutional. That's just the liberals disrespecting democracy. The law applies equally to everyone. It doesn't say that A shall have this right and B shall not.

Why is it that actual trained judges, who study the constitution in question, disagree with you over and over, Brandon?

Your arguments are exactly the same as those made by bigoted segregationists long ago, Brandon. The exact same ones. After all, everyone has the right to marry someone of their own race, so the law applies to everyone equally. Right?

The knowledge that stuff like this sticks in your craw is almost as satisfying as the ruling itself. It really exposes who is a bigot down deep.

Cycloptichorn
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:49 am
States the conservative Republican author of the decision:

...“We are firmly convinced the exclusion of gay and lesbian people from the institution of civil marriage does not substantially further any important governmental objective,” Justice Mark S. Cady (appointed by a conservative Republican governor) wrote for the seven-member court, adding later, “We have a constitutional duty to ensure equal protection of the law.”

...“If gay and lesbian people must submit to different treatment without an exceedingly persuasive justification, they are deprived of the benefits of the principle of equal protection upon which the rule of law is founded,” the Supreme Court said in agreeing that the 1998 law was unconstitutional.

End of restating the quote as some people can't read.

I guess it's the Republicans who now have become the activists since they are in the minority. That, short of armed revolution, is the only course of action. Trouble is, their perceived activism here is to interpret the Equal Rights clause as meaning Equal Rights for every citizen.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:51 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I agree, but the Iowa law isn't unconstitutional

This is an assertion by you with nothing to back it up - other than some extremely weak argumentation, trumped by that of professionals.

Quote:
and by jimmying the Constitution to erase votes that didn't go your way, you are annulling the wishes of the people to gain what you cannot gain by votes.

But, 'we' didn't do any of that. The pro-gay marriage caucus didn't jimmy anything. We didn't annul anything. The Iowa State Supreme Court did. Is it your opinion that they intentionally violated common sense and made an incorrect ruling, based on their inherent desire to see gays marry?

Your position is farcical, and I think you know it. You've entered the 'grumble but don't listen to any opposing argument' stage. You've declared the original law Constitutional and no court decision in your mind is going to change that. This is irrational - and revealing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Bigots in denial, rationalizing the excuse for their bigotry, just need to do a Step 1. Admit you're a closeted bigot and it's making your life at least uncomfortable, it not unmanageable.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 01:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

The citizen's vote is not irrelevant 9000, but it does have limitations given the other things that the citizens have voted on and the states have ratified.

A successful vote to put in place things like prop8 contradicts other things in our constitution, so what about the people who fought for things like the equal protection clause? Can people vote to put things in place that contradict it?

Your thoughts are appreciated, but ultimately juvenile in their development.

T
K
O

What is there in the Constitution that the Iowa vote contradicts? Saying it contradicts something in the Constitution doesn't make it so. The equal protection clause doesn't mean that anyone can do anything he wants. It's just a liberal way of torturing the words into nullifying a fair vote. Quote me the passage the Iowa law contradicts. You cannot, and instead will hide behind insults and other irrelevant evasions.

You ask and answered the question 9000. The 1998 ban on same sex marriage violated the equal protection clause of the Iowa constitution.

Prior to this ruling, this has been the rock legal argument, and the unanimous court ruling agreed and specifically named the equal protection clause in it's ruling.

You've made no legal argument to refute this very fair ruling.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 02:09 pm
@Lightwizard,
What I see that is so interesting is their denial of discrimination when they wish to deny gays marriage rights, and claim it'll damage the marriage between a man and a woman, and the concept of family. Their bigotry sees no bounds.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 02:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What about the 50% of heterosexuals who don't divorce? Are they happily married? Does the unhappinest affect their children (if any). A poll by Woman's Day/AOL several month ago revealed:

Woman's Day/AOL Poll Reveals Majority of Married Women Would Reconsider Their Spouses: 36% Would Not Marry Their Husbands If They Could Re-Do Their 'I Do' & Another 20% Not Sure

NEW YORK and DULLES, Va., Jan. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- A new poll(*) from
Woman's Day magazine (womansday.com) and AOL.com finds over a third (36%) of married women would not marry their husbands if they had to do it all over again, with another 20% saying they weren't sure if they would or not.
The poll, which surveyed over 3,000 American married women, provides
insight into a variety of issues, including flirting, infidelity, soul
mates, bedtime habits, honesty, jealousy and pop culture.
In regard to marriage, the poll finds 76% of married women keep secrets
from their husbands. 84% of all American wives say they would want to be
told if their husbands were cheating, with 49% of them stating they have
suspected or even caught their husband having an affair. On the flipside,
76% admit to fantasizing about a man other than their husband, with 39%
stating they flirt with other men constantly. A look inside the bedroom of
married couples reveals that 33% of all wives sleep in the nude, while 32%
stated they sleep on the opposite end of the bed from their husband.

End of quote

So I wonder how many of the 50% remaining married are actually happily married? 30%? 20%? If course, a lot of unhappy marriages stay together until the kids are gone. If you read enough about this societal dysfunction (and I don't take the time to read a lot -- it just periodically pops up in the news), it doesn't make marriage look any more sacred than going to a strip bar. This gay marriage controversy I believe is partly kept alive because it took the spolight off of the bleak-looking straight marriage problem.

spendius

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 03:25 pm
@Lightwizard,
You can't blame them. The chaps on these threads must be something of a trial at close quarters.

Quote:
In regard to marriage, the poll finds 76% of married women keep secrets
from their husbands.

And I don't believe that either. It's 100%.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:38 pm
Jon Stewart's hilarious spoof with his "Gaywatch" of Maine, Washington DC's Gay Marriage and Marion Berry:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/?sicontent=0&sicreative=2966761750&siclientid=1838&sitrackingid=70250564&kw=thedailyshow&gclid=CM-Evtb7rZoCFRo-awodHRi-cw
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:42 pm
@Lightwizard,
The more interesting breakdown would be how many of those women are against gay marriage?
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think that would ever be done on a comedy show but Stewart obviously has his serious side with the probing interview with the Secretary of the Interior Salazar on the same show. That's on the full episode video to the right. The Gaywatch is in the center, third down on the clip menu.

Washington DC is now recognizing gay marriages from other states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/us/06district.html
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 04:24 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Here's a candidate for that big tent -- as a clown:

Miss USA contestant, Carrie Prejean, whose comments opposing same-sex marriage during last month's Miss USA pageant are blamed for her loosing "the crown" has fulfilled her position as a blond boob in more ways than one. She had breast augmentation surgery just weeks before that competition, Miss California Pageant Co-Director Keith Lewis confirmed. He also said reports that the Miss California pageant helped foot the bill for the operation were true. Looks like the vanity of fake body parts matches perfectly the prejudicial purity of her religious faith that promotes the exclusion pf an entire segment of society the legal use of a simple word in the dictionary. Marriage is just a word but in most state laws, it still includes certain rights that civil unions do not.

During the contest, as part of the contest, judge Perez Hilton asked her if she supported or opposed same-sex marriage. Apparently, she was punished for not giving the only acceptable answer. The contestants are graded on their politics now??? You can't win unless you pass the politics test??? From the Wikipedia article about Carrie Prejean:

Quote:
Prejean gained nationwide attention over her answer to a question about same-sex marriage. During the 2009 Miss USA pageant, Prejean was asked by pageant judge Perez Hilton whether she believed every U.S. state should legalize same-sex marriage. She responded, "Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one way or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. You know what, in my country, in my family, I do believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, no offense to anybody out there. But that’s how I was raised and I believe that it should be between a man and a woman."

In a video blog that he posted to his own website, Hilton blasted Prejean as a "dumb bitch" and called Prejean's answer "the worst in pageant history." He also told ABC News that she lost the crown because of how she answered the question on gay marriage.[10] He stated as well that "There are various other ways she could have answered that question and still stayed true to herself without alienating millions of people."[11] Prejean believes that the opinion that she expressed in the answer cost her the crown.

From the Wikipedia article about Perez Hilton:

Quote:
Hilton served as a judge for the Miss USA 2009 pageant in Las Vegas, Nevada on April 19, 2009.

During the Q&A portion of the contest, Hilton asked the Miss California representative, Carrie Prejean whether she believed every state should legalize same-sex marriage. She responded that she did not. After the pageant Perez Hilton made negative comments about the contestant and told ABC news "She lost it because of that question. She was definitely the front-runner before that," leading some to believe that the answer directly had caused her to lose the competition. Prejean stated that Miss California USA officials had pressured her to apologize for her statement and "not talk" about her Christian faith.

Debra Law

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 05:13 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
During the contest, as part of the contest, judge Perez Hilton asked her if she supported or opposed same-sex marriage. Apparently, she was punished for not giving the only acceptable answer. The contestants are graded on their politics now???

Miss Moron was not asked if she personally supported or opposed same-sex marriage. She was asked if every state should follow Vermont's example and legalize same-sex marriage. Here's the question:

"Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

Miss Moron did not answer the question. Her response was nonsensical within the context of the actual question presented. Miss Moron's Answer:

"Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Umm. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage, and you know what in my country and in my family I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman no offense to anybody out there but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and a woman."

Where's her answer to the actual question? Can we interpret her answer to be this: "YES. Every state should follow Vermont's lead and should legalize same-sex marriage because we live in a land [of equal civil rights] and Americans should be able to choose." Or do we interpret her answer as this: "NO. Every state should not follow Vermont's lead and should not legalize same-sex marriage because I was personally raised to believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XMvviFbkf0

Again, she did not answer the question presented. She's a numbskull and deserved a failing score. Since then, she has not demonstrated that she's educated or informed in any manner whatsoever.

Check out Olbermann's new segment called WTF!?! featuring the moronic Miss California:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#30711675