For non-US folk: How would you vote if you could?

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:12 pm

So, imagine if you could actually vote in the US Elections.: Obama or McCain for you?
Which party would be your choice & why? Be as brief or as detailed as you like.

There is huge interest in this election around the planet. I hear the Japanese are in a near frenzy about it. (!) And a Google search about world interest in this election produced pages & pages & pages of links ... So let's have our say, too! Yeah! Very Happy

Here's how surveyed Australians responded to a recent poll:

Quote:
A recent worldwide survey about the U.S. election showed that 76 percent of Australians want Democratic candidate Barack Obama to win, and 10 percent prefer his Republican rival John McCain.

..... 58 percent said their opinion of the U.S. would improve if Obama is elected, against 15 percent for McCain.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-10-27-voa7.cfm

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:17 pm
@msolga,
This is kind of an interesting site showing how the rest of the world would vote if they could

http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/
msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:19 pm
@msolga,
OK, I'll declare my preference up-front: I'd vote Democrat. Why? Perhaps because I'm a sucker for intelligent leaders with vision. Or defintely more vision than the alternative. And I want change! Desperately. A more detailed response later, perhaps. I just want to get the ball rolling at this stage ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:20 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Thank you, Andrew. Very interesting!

Now lets see how individual A2Kers around the planet would vote.
msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:23 pm
@msolga,
I have to go out very soon but will be back later in the day. I'm hoping there'll be a lot of posts by then.
Just one request, if I may: PLEASE no attacking folk with different opinions to yours. I'm genuinely interested in hearing what you folk think & why.
Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:32 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
For non-US folk: How would you vote if you could?

I would vote for anyone who dresses like this. I would imagine the choices would be considerable.

http://cgml.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/clown.jpg

We have lots of them in Canada, too.
msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:33 pm
@msolga,
No takers yet? Aw, come on, I'd love to here from the UK, Candada, Africa, Japan, India, Greenland, China, the Netherlands, Germany, NZ, Cuba, etc, etc. etc .... any place there are A2Kers!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:34 pm
@msolga,
I have posted about this before, but I'd hold my nose and vote for Obama.

blecch
msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:35 pm
@Reyn,
Yay! A Canadian response! Very Happy

Thanks, Reyn. We have quite a few in Oz, too!
msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:39 pm
@msolga,
Gotta go now. Back later.
Do have your say or regret it forever! This is a very important election (as if you need reminding! Wink )
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:41 pm
@msolga,
For president, I would vote for Obama. My first choice would have been John Edwards, but Obama is easily the lesser evil compared to John McCain.

For this year's senate race in New Jersey, I slightly prefer the moderate Republican Dick Zimmer over the Democrat Frank Lautenberg, based on their debate performance. But I haven't followed their race, other than watching their debate, and could easily be swung if I learned important new facts about either candidate.
hingehead

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:41 pm
@Merry Andrew,
McCain could take Macedonia!
msolga

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I have posted about this before, but I'd hold my nose and vote for Obama.

blecch

I'm interested about why you have to hold your nose, ehBeth. You've no doubt said it before here, but I'd still like to know .... if you feel so inclined, of course!
Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@Thomas,
The funny lookin' guy from New Joisy wrote:
For president, I would vote for Obama. My first choice would have been John Edwards, but Obama is easily the lesser evil compared to John McCain.

Amazing . . . i'd never have thought it . . . this is exactly my opinion.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:51 pm
@hingehead,
Yup. Macedonians 84.1 % for McCain, 15.9 % for Obama.

I'm glad to see, hoever, that the land of my birth (Latvia) is pretty solidly behind Obama -- 80 %.
Eorl

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 06:15 pm
Being Australian hasn't kept me from having an opinion! (insert obnoxious facetious smiley)

Obama for sure, for so many reasons. He is a leader. Much has been made of his ability to speak well and motivate, and people have been distrustful of that for good reason, but the upside is he can and will (and has) motivated people. That's leadership. McCain spends half his time pointing out that most of his own party aren't with him, (being a maverick n'all) and expects us to be impressed by that.

Then there's the Religious Right who seem to be building in strength and dividing your country, that were Sarah Palin comes in. Obama can and will unite far more than he will divide when it comes to issues like Roe v Wade.

Then there's world peace. Not ever going to happen obviously, but I think Obama can lead the world in a positive direction, whereas McCain, at best, can look like he's busy defending his own country...

I could go on....and on...
hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@msolga,
i would probably vote for obama .

i don't think that i'm usually a pessimist - or i wouldn't have come to canada - but my gut feeling is that whoever the next president of the U.S. is going to be , americans are going to be for a nasty shock .
somehow you'll have to wrestle with a huge debt and that won't be easy .
i've explained before that canada was financially "on the ropes" - on the watchlist of the IMF - in the late 70's early 80's .
tax increases , surtaxes starting at about $25,000 and lots of other nasty stuff - canadians accepted it grudgingly and came out reasonably well .
how would the american citizens deal with such a scenario ? would there be lots of accusations flying back and forth ?
imo because of the long pre-election period the U.S. , each candidate has to make so many promises to all and everyone that it seems difficult to see how those promises can be kept .

just had an election in canada : 37 (!) days from the day the election was called to the day of the election - all over and done with (but even in that short period of time there was enough nastiness and promises from all parties to last us for a while ) .

i know the U.S. has about 10 times the population of canada , but do you really need such a long election period ? is it really that much fun ?

to all my american friends : have fun , and make up and kiss after the election !
hbg

ps. there are TWO military conflicts going on that ALL americans will have to deal with !
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:33 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The only other country where McCain even gets close is Venezuela - I can't imagine why... (I'm discounting the country that only has two votes, one for each candidate).

I am curious about the disproportionate amount of Australian who've voted. How involved are we in America? Well lots considering the halloween decorations Rolling Eyes I'm off to get my turkey for thanksgiving. Twisted Evil
Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Amazing . . . i'd never have thought it . . . this is exactly my opinion.

You know what that means, dont you? It means the end of the world is nigh after all -- the TV evangelists have been right all along!
0 Replies

tarakesh

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
@msolga,
I'm in the US but from India, if that counts. I would vote for Obama. One reason being that he at least seems open-minded, for eg. not equating being Muslim to being a terrorist. I have problems with him, not he is certainly the lesser of the two evils in my mind.
0 Replies