For non-US folk: How would you vote if you could?

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:13 pm
@msolga,
Obama would be my choice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:28 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
.... Obama is easily the lesser evil compared to John McCain.

Yes, I agree with that, too, Thomas. Less evil by a long shot!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:42 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
Then there's world peace. Not ever going to happen obviously, but I think Obama can lead the world in a positive direction, whereas McCain, at best, can look like he's busy defending his own country...

This would be one of my main reasons for voting for Obama, Eorl. To lead the US (& it's allies) firmly away from the war mongering legacy of Bush & his Republican supporters. McCain would simply carry on from where Bush left off. This period has done so much harm to the US, Iraq, Afghanistan & around the globe. Oh for saner heads to prevail!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:51 am

From the British perspective there is not much difference between the two parties, but personally I would vote against the party who planned the invasion of Iraq.

And I would vote for the party who are for improved social justice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:52 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
I am curious about the disproportionate amount of Australian who've voted. How involved are we in America?

You're not really surprised by this,are you, hinge? It's the other way around as I see it.: How involved is the US in Oz political decision making? The US has had a HUGE impact on Oz foreign policy & affairs .... Hideously huge under Howard & co ... & still a very strong influence over the Rudd government.
dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:53 am
@msolga,
Obama and as often as I could.

Mainly because he is the furthest from Bush of the available candidates, and hasn't chosen a bozo like Palin as VP.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:59 am
We don't seem to have a single endorsement for the McCain/Palin team as yet. This actually rather surprises me.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:02 am
Olga - every govt that endorsed the illegal Bush-Cheney invasion of Iraq has gone to the wall. Every big 'player' has been humbled by their connection with the WORST PRESIDENT EVER! (TM). I don't care how the USA votes any more, just as long as they send that moron back where he came from.
saab

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:23 am
Voting in Scandinavia, GB or Germany - if I could - would be liberal/conservative.
This means I am closer to the American Democratic party- IMO- than to the Republican party.
Which one would I vote for - none of the two. I would not vote at all. Obama is perfect in every way, as a man, politician, speaker, husband, father etc etc. according to the media. Where is his shadowside? That makes me sceptical. I trust more in people who are not 100% perfect.
Which makes me think about this little verse free translated
Who wishes everything good
for his sick aunt
knows the art of being generous
without any costs.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:00 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
Olga - every govt that endorsed the illegal Bush-Cheney invasion of Iraq has gone to the wall. Every big 'player' has been humbled by their connection with the WORST PRESIDENT EVER! (TM). I don't care how the USA votes any more, just as long as they send that moron back where he came from.

Yes, the US connection certainly hasn't done too many connected governments much good with their country's citizens, I agree, Stilly. In many ways I see similarities to this US election with our last election (in Oz): it was not so much that we (or I, anyway) believed that Kevin Rudd's Labor alternative was utterly fantastic. It was more that another term of John Howard & the Liberals was unthinkable. Enough was enough! I suspect this might be the point that many folk in the US are at right now. As a number have said here already - the less evil of the available choices.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:09 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I agree, Stilly

I has it in writing now. You is my bitch.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Missie Olga, I have (for once in my on-line life) actually held off saying anything about this matter. And the temptations and provocations have been numerous. For myself I want the US of A to find themselves with a government that will make a peace with the peoples of Afghanistan and Iraq. As long as this totally illegal occupation of these nations continues there will be insanity like we saw in Bali. Whether Barack Obama will make a difference is something we can only wait to see. Whoever takes over the job that Bush leaves, has a monumental and difficult task.
msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:36 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
For myself I want the US of A to find themselves with a government that will make a peace with the peoples of Afghanistan and Iraq. As long as this totally illegal occupation of these nations continues there will be insanity like we saw in Bali. Whether Barack Obama will make a difference is something we can only wait to see. Whoever takes over the job that Bush leaves, has a monumental and difficult task.

It rather worries me that I keep agreeing with you, Stilly. Wink But I completely agree with you! I want this insanity & aggression to stop, too. I suspect, I fervently hope, that Obama (if he wins this election ) will bring a more intelligent & a much less hawkish approach to the table ... & that he will not continue to play the might is right bullying card with perceived "enemies" of the US. This relentlessly aggressive Bush approach has made the world a much more dangerous place.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 05:03 am
@msolga,
Re Merry Andrew's link on page one of the thread, I'm amused to see Ireland firmly wedged between Iraq and Israel. If it's bi-partisanship you're after...

If nothing else, in 10-11 weeks time, Bush will recede into the dustbin of history. Hopefully, he'll take as much time as necessary to sharpen up his golf game before leaving office.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:59 pm
So has everyone had their say?

Not long to go now.

I'm getting jittery. What time do the polls close tomorrow?
Eorl

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:09 pm
@msolga,
I guess it varies with states and time zones, but your favourite national broadcaster begins it's coverage at midday your time. (774 if you're at work)
msolga

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:23 pm
@Eorl,
Ah thank you, Eorl! (It is my favourite broadcaster, too!)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:04 pm
The Economist made a similar thing:

http://www.economist.com/Vote2008/

A trend is clear.
McCain takes Macedonia.
Venezuela is too close to call.
Votes diferr in Algeria, Congo, Cuba and Iraq.
The rest is taken.
Most of the Obama victories are overwhelming. He does outside the US as good or better than in Harlem, NY.

Anyway, the world's electoral college is painted blue.

My vote (and endorsement) for Senator Barack Obama.

I wouldn't be unconfortable with a McCain presidency, but very unconfortable with a Palin vicepresidency... and my esteem of American citizens would deeply fall if they chose them
JPB

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:06 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

I wouldn't be unconfortable with a McCain presidency, but very unconfortable with a Palin vicepresidency... and my esteem of American citizens would deeply fall if they chose them

me too.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:36 pm
@msolga,
dlowan wrote:
hingehead wrote:
I am curious about the disproportionate amount of Australian who've voted. How involved are we in America?

You're not really surprised by this,are you, hinge? It's the other way around as I see it.: How involved is the US in Oz political decision making? The US has had a HUGE impact on Oz foreign policy & affairs .... Hideously huge under Howard & co ... & still a very strong influence over the Rudd government.

You misinterpret me Deb - how many Americans would give a toss about an Australian election. If you go to the iftheworldcould vote website you'll see that of all the nations in the world listed, Australians easily top the vote count (always as a percentage of population, and usually in straight numerical counts - the UK being the exception).
Endymion

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:55 pm
I look forward to seeing Obama waving at the cameras from the front door of the white house one day soon.
The fact that such an image will blow the minds of racist lunatics (including George, Dick and company) across America, amuses the hell out of me. I only wish that Charlton Heston were still alive to see it.

But if i was asked to vote without fear and with my conscience, I would vote for Ralph Nader.

And for the same reasons as this man

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20081103_only_nader_is_right_on_the_issues/

Obama may be the lesser of two evils, but war inflicted on others can only be measured in suffering and i believe the suffering has become unbearable, that the injustice has gone on long enough.

I hope i'm wrong about Obama and that he changes his stance on intervention and aggressive war. I hope he suddenly realises what it is the people are asking for when they vote for 'change'.

Good Luck to him - and America
Endy