ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Replying to myself, some of the companies that do futons do also mimic craftsman stuff - and - there may be local craftsman who also do that, including good chairs.
boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sorry, osso, but I'm not really following.

Yes cushions, yes leather. Fabric doesn't work well for us. Comfort is important. Durability is essential.

I don't know if you checked my link to The Joinery but it is not a futon type builder but a high end custom furniture maker.

We are seriously wavering on the price of this stuff though. Mr. B went to look at the Lane chairs I found and thought they were fine. But he hasn't seen these other chairs yet. Still, we could get two brand new chairs for less than two used chairs. (The Joinery's web site lists the rocking chair at a starting price of $2,600. The seller is offering two used chairs, a footstool and a table for $3,000.)
ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:02 pm
@boomerang,
Sorry, will check tomorrow. I was probably blathering, yet again.

J
0 Replies

Swimpy

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 03:43 pm
@boomerang,
The chairs from The Joinery remind me of Stickley http://www.stickley.com/
ossobuco

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:15 pm
@Swimpy,
I think Stickley furniture is beautiful.. but I never really wanted to collect it, even if I could. A whole california bungalow filled with exact appropriate furniture sort of sets my teeth on edge, as a 2x craftsman owner. That might explain my attraction for that golden palm tree chair and ottoman... to increase the "cush" level in the midst of the careful design.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:08 pm
You mentioned the need for smallish in your original post Boomer. We needed that here, too, and really had a time trying to find the right pieces.

We by chance ended up at De Boers during sale time and lucked out there. The only bit of advice I've got after that experience is that you take a measuring tape with you when you look.

0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:39 pm
I found some chairs!

Okay they're not the most comfy chairs.... yet. I'm going to have some new cushions made and the chairs need to be refinished but it was only $350.00 for BOTH chairs.

The Joinery guy raised his price to $2,000 per chair so we no longer could afford to think about it. Then, this mornings paper listed 2 vintage Morris chairs for $500.00 I called about them and the woman said that her family had had them since the 1940s and they weren't new then.

I'll try to get some photos in a bit....
ehBeth

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@boomerang,
oooh oooh
ossobuco

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Adding oooh, ooooh.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:22 am
I had to take some photos to send out for some estimates on having cushions made which motivated me to get it done quickly.

The chairs look pretty rough right now but I think with some elbow grease and some new cushions they'll look great. I'm thinking since we got the frames for $175.00 each that I can splurge on the cushions and still come in at about half what we would have spent for the Lane chairs!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/IMGP1810.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/IMGP1811.jpg
ossobuco

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:23 am
@boomerang,
Oh good, a rocker.. nice shapes to them. To me, a little friendlier than the old Stickleys. On the Stickleys, I was mouthing off. You don't have a museum-like home, so my mini rant about that was off base.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:41 pm
@boomerang,
those have nice lines - with the right upholstery they'll be comfy too. I love having things upholstered - or doing the easy ones myself - fabric is fun!
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
Museumy? My house? That's a good laugh. I am Ms. Mismatch of the scratch and dent sale. Livability beats beauty every single time.

I love having things upholstered too -- especially when I can do it myself. Over the last two day I redid all of my dining room chairs since I'm having guests for Thanksgiving (I have nine chairs in three styles covered with three different red-based fabrics from my textile stash.)

These chairs are actually pretty cool when you start getting down to looking at the construction of them. The chair is a Flintstone recliner with this brass cog type thing to make it recline to different angles. Plus, they're small, which is what I was looking for. It's always interesting to me that furniture from the 30s is proportioned so much smaller than furniture of today. Anyway, I think these will clean up nice.

I'm finding myself lost in the upholstery/construction angle -- the more I ask the more I find to ask. I think I'm going to have to start a new topic about how to select an upholsterer/ where to buy leather/ how to judge leather/ blahblahblahblah.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:28 pm
Boomer, I was really curious to see your chair(s). (They're lovely.) We were told that one of the chairs left in our schoolhouse was a Morris chair and I was curious to see whether they were similar. Here it is in the foreground: http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/Summer08Schoolhouse015.jpg The cushions are cranberry vinyl (for now) and the arm rests are hinged and open up for storage (the perfect size for decks of cards etc.). Is the reclining mechanism different? We find ours really comfortable. It doesn't appear to be as "finished" as yours. I hope you enjoy your new chairs!
boomerang

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
Ours are cranberry vinyl too!

The arms of ours don't open (that would be so cool) and the recliner mechanism faces the opposite way but Mr. B thinks they've been fiddled with. I'm going to show him your photo and see if that makes more sense to him!

Thanks!
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@Tai Chi,
Oh yeah... the schoolhouse looks AMAZING!

I would feel totally at home there.
Rockhead

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:49 pm
@Tai Chi,
TC, yer "schoolhouse" looks pretty damn cool...

(more pix?...mebbe on a dif thred)

don't wanna railroad the boom's chair thing.
Tai Chi

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Oh yeah... the schoolhouse looks AMAZING!

I would feel totally at home there.

Come on up and bring your paintbrush Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

TC, yer "schoolhouse" looks pretty damn cool...

(more pix?...mebbe on a dif thred)

don't wanna railroad the boom's chair thing.

(Look for "Back to School" -- now back to your regularly scheduled thread)
0 Replies

AndrewJayden

Thu 29 Mar, 2012 03:22 am
@ossobuco,
The chair should be the perfect size and fit for you to be just right. The seat should feel soft to sit. Chairs with lower backs are good for conversation.
0 Replies