Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
I need to buy a couple of chairs. They need to be smallish, comfortable chairs.

I don't know much about furniture and I'd like to spare myself running all over town to look at different brands.

Do you have a comfy chair? Who made it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 33 • Views: 16,218 • Replies: 64
Topic Closed
No top replies

littlek

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:16 pm
@boomerang,
Like a couch chair thing? (can you tell I don't know much either?)
boomerang

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:29 pm
@littlek,
I could maybe go with a little couch type thing but really a couple of chairs would be best.

Does anyone know anything about a company called Stanton? Are they any good? I saw some online for a reasonable price but I don't know anything about them and their website doesn't include much info about construction.
0 Replies

hamburger

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:32 pm
@boomerang,
you have to try them out !
you can't tell a comfy chair from an uncomfortable one just by looking at it - and everyone has a different idea of "comfy" , i think .
i like my "lazaboy" chair , but it's not smallish - though there a "against the wall" models now .
i think i'll have to go and stretch out right now !
hbg
ehBeth

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:32 pm
@boomerang,
I bought a chair that is a version of the chairs on Ellen's set. Sooo comfortable. (I'll see if I can figure out who made it).
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:43 pm
@boomerang,
My three comfiest chairs are all IKEA. Two Tullsta (different colors), and one that I don't think they make anymore. It's similar-ish to the Jennylund but curvier and nicer.
ehBeth

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 03:00 pm
@sozobe,
ok, so Soz and i are in effect recommending the same chair.

I've got a Canadian manufacturer's version of the Tullsta, which is a version of Ellen's slightly bigger chairs.

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/6/62/662abcf02c491838d9742ed8d43df5d2-orig

mine has slightly lower, heavier legs, and a lower curved back bolster

0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 03:47 pm
@hamburger,
I have to go with Mr. H's mention of Lazyboys. We have 2 and are quite comfy.
CalamityJane

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:06 pm
@Reyn,
I also have 2 comfortable chairs from IKEA. They look like this one,
but no recliners.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/58761_PE164305_S4.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 06:58 pm
@Reyn,
reyn :

the "lazaboys" have it !!!
(we must be the two laziest fellows on a2k - what champs we are !!!)
hbg
0 Replies

roger

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
You might even take a look at office furniture. I have a reclining lazyboy. It not only vibrates, it heats. It is not comfortable in the upright position at all. I guess they work for some, but not me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:08 pm
Oh yes. I completely agree that comfort is a test drive experience when it comes to chairs. I just didn't want to drive out to the X brand showroom and find out their furniture was made of plywood and swiss cheese.

I love those upholstered chairs but I doubt they would last 6 months in my house. We murder furniture. I hate to admit it but it's true.

LaZBoy has a reputation for durability so I might visit their showroom. I'm not really interested in recliners but I uderstand they made other kinds of chairs or recliners that don't look like recliners.

Mr. B keeps pushing me towards Morris chairs. He remebers me sitting in one and loving it but a Morris chair doesn't seem too cuddly.

I kind of like those glider chairs and he says the Morris chair I loved did the glide thing.

Trouble is, he can't remember where I sat in the loved chair or what brand it was.

Or how much it cost.

<sigh>

This is probably why I don't have any furniture......
caribou

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@boomerang,
http://www.amishpride.com/images/furniture/living_occasional/AJs%20Morris%20Glider.jpg
Like this?
http://www.amishpride.com/occasional.php
found it by searching morris glider. mission glider gets more results.
boomerang

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:47 pm
@caribou,
Yeah.... I guess....

Honestly, I can't imagine seeing that chair and thinking comfort.

But it totally looks Oregon; very Timberline lodge.

I like the fat arm rests. That would work for us but that chair just dosn't look cozy.
ehBeth

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:51 pm
@boomerang,
Dunno about Soz's Tullsta, but my variant is suede. I hit the Sears clearance centre and got it for less than $100.

I've got a Canadian-made recliner, designed not to look like a recliner. Very mod - cut very high through the centre. I don't use the reclining function much since I got the dogs, since I find pets and mechanical chairs aren't always happy matches. I'm always a bit fidgety when we're at the hamburgers, as Cleo likes to stretch out just under the footrest of the recliners there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:11 pm
@boomerang,
http://www.houseofoak.com/images/chairs/mission-rocker-recliner.jpg

mission-rocker-recliner

not my idea of small - those mission chairs tend to be biggish - but it's probably quite comfortable (and it would go with the rest of my quarter sawn oak pieces)
ossobuco

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:19 pm
We had a strange and wonderful chair in the early fifties - thus my sketchy memory - that looked sort of like a south seas comfort chair - cushy cushions with a sort of palm tree type print, and flat wide arm rest where you could put a can of coca cola and some soda crackers, for example. Wide enough for a ten year old to fold her legs, but not a really huge chair. Didn't go with anything else in the house but was a primo tv chair.

Of those so far, I like CJane's chair - the arm rests are low enough to throw a leg over while slouching, and I like the looks.

I'd a friend who collected Stickley furniture, but I never warmed up to it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Lane!

I've got a couple or three of Lane pieces. They're usually quite well made.

these mission recliners all do look a bit the same
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:40 pm
I can't find anything like I was talking about yet..

meantime, this looks goofily comfortable, if a tad amorphous --
http://picasaweb.google.com/calihijamie/GrahamFurnishingOptions#5209764065377483554
(couldn't link the photo, but the link brings you to the place..)

Cough, a tad pricey.. me I get my furniture at thrift/"antique" shops - have gotten some great pieces. But.. Craigs List could work.. once you know what you want.
ossobuco

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Like the lines of the 40's chair and the radio chair... towards the bottom of this page - except that I'd have to dynamite them for the print fabric. Unless, just in the right place...

http://www.windsreachstudio.com/portfolio.htm