Thomas

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 11:02 pm
@boomerang,
You wouldn't guess it when you look at it, but the Rietveld chair is actually very comfortable. And should be fairly hard to destroy.

http://www.chairblog.eu/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/red-blue-rietveld-chair.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:40 pm
You're right, Thomas, I wouldn't think it to look at that chair and think comfortable!

I want that big pineapple chair to cuddle up and read it. Lovely.

I went chair shopping this morning, stopping by Lazy Boy and a big department store. All that Lazy Boy stuff is comfortable but it's HUGE. Totally nap worthy. They make some pretty regular chairs too that are smaller but not as comfortable.

At the department store I found a Morris style chair and it was very comfortable. The salesman comes by and tells me that it is made by Lane. eBeth knows of what she speaks! He says they make very good chairs.

A little pricey but not awful, scary pricey.

While it wouldn't be my first pick for style I know Mr. B likes them and they are very comfortable....
OmSigDAVID

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:00 pm
U need to personally TRY them
and find out which feels best,
what texture of upholstery, head support ?
one of them a recliner ?

A massage chair ? heated ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:22 pm
@boomerang,
I think this is gorgeous and is said to be comfortable but I'd bet not as comfy as the morris type chairs. Probably v. pricey anyway, but I wanted to share the pic.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/2440363544_1b71c30af8.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
Find out how your husband likes massage chairs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:21 pm
@boomerang,
Lane is definitely quality.

I had a little trouble there as I try to buy furniture made in Canada (preferably Quebec, I tend to like the design aesthetic there), but the Lane pieces I have are well-made and have held up remarkably through some rough and tumble years and moves.
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
Have you ever heard of a company called The Joinery? I hadn't.

Mr. B just sent me over to look at some used stuff that had been posted on craigslist.

Holymarymotherofgod it's effing amazing. I'm ruined for other chairs for the rest of my life.
ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:38 pm
@boomerang,
ah.. that's nice, but what are you posting? Should I have seen your example already?
boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a Morris chair and a Morris rocking chair that we're looking at, very similar to the Morris chair that eBeth posted earlier.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:49 pm
@boomerang,
I know The Joinery designs by Michael Graves (the feet on the chairs I've see are like the ones on my tub chair - cousin of Soz's Tullsta)

boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:49 pm
http://images.craigslist.org/12513a1g23n53o23l18b3e9e3b6aee4cf1552.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/1f11201323nb3ke3oa8b3086a92fe648c1768.jpg
boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:51 pm
@ehBeth,
The Joinery, oddly enough, is just down the street from my house: http://www.thejoinery.com/about/craftsmanship.php
ehBeth

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:53 pm
@boomerang,
oh, nice
if they're comfy - go for it! a comfy Morris-style chair is a prize indeed

(do we love craigslist or do we love craigslist)
boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
I could absolutely never afford this stuff new, even used it's a stretch so yes, indeed, I do love craigslist.

I wouldn't have a stick of furniture if it wasn't for craigslist.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:59 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I love those upholstered chairs but I doubt they would last 6 months in my house. We murder furniture. I hate to admit it but it's true.

There are (here in Europe/Germany) a couple of firms that produce comfortable chairs with a five or even ten years guaranty - two years is it by EU-law.

Ours have ten years on the wooden parts and five years on the covering.
Since they are 'semi-handmade' they were a bit more pricey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
@boomerang,
Right, much as I alluded to before, re having a friend who collected original Stickley.
Me, I've had two early CA bungalows. Follow Greene and Greene.
Shall there be no cushioning in bungalows?

Whatever, maybe you can make one or some work for you.
boomerang wrote:

Boom, you may need to work out what you think of as 'comfortable'.

ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, boom, no idea how that sort of balloon thing happened on my last post.

Anyway, lines are nice, but I'm a fan of being able to read a book in a chair.
boomerang

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Like I said, the style wouldn't be my first choice but practical considerations make it a real contender. Plus, Mr. B really likes it -- it reminds him of the furniture in the Timberline Lodge.

I love love love upholstery but it just really doesn't work for us. Muddy kid, muddy dog, muddy us, muddy visitors. I don't want to have to be careful with everything at the expense of being able to relax.
ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:40 pm
@boomerang,
I don't know what you mean, boom, or what you are referencing. Leather or not, treated cloth or not? (We had a futon for bunch of years.. I'm not one to frown). You mean Morris chairs, sort of, by Lane? But, they are upholstered.

You prefer only picnic benches? Not to taunt, but what is it you really want?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Uh, if you want the Michael Graves' renditions of the Stickley furniture, then go for it, but.. given the money, I'd look around for the originals.