Oetze the Iceman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:33 pm
NPR.org, October 30, 2008 ยท In 1991, tourists stumbled across the mummified remains of a man who died 53 centuries ago in what is now the Italian Alps. Scientists have learned a lot about the Tyrolean Iceman in the past 17 years. But one question has remained unanswered: Does he have any living descendants?

Scientists used to think the answer was yes. Now, based on new evidence, they say it's less likely.

When scientists first analyzed the Iceman's genes in 1994, they thought their results indicated he was related to many living Europeans. But that was based on a limited sample of his genes.

Now British and Italian scientists have painstakingly spelled out the entire genome of the mitochondria " the tiny powerhouses within each cell " taken from intestinal cells of the remarkably well-preserved Iceman. He's become known as Oetzi since he was discovered in the Oetztal Alps on the border between Austria and Italy.

The new analysis, published in the Nov. 1 issue of Current Biology, shows that his mitochondrial genes don't match up with any retrieved so far from modern-day humans. That virtually rules out any descendants from Oetzi's maternal lineage, though it's still possible that he had sons whose descendants now walk the earth.

Mitochondrial DNA is passed down only from mothers to their offspring. It's an important tool for constructing family trees and tracing the movement of people across time and space. Mitochondrial DNA has only about 16,500 genetic units, called base-pairs, instead of the 3 billion in the entire human genome. And the mitochondrial genome is peppered with lots of mutations, unique genetic tags that make it easier for scientists to track genetic lineages.

The researchers compared Oetzi's mitochondrial genome to 115 samples from modern Europeans. His is within a group called K-1 that first appeared in Europe 200 centuries ago and now is widespread. That's why scientists first thought Oetzi had descendants. But now that they have his full mitochondrial genome " by far the oldest ever to be sequenced " they know that Oetzi's subtype is unique.

"The maternal lineage of the Iceman has apparently gone extinct," says professor Martin Richards of the University of Leeds. "It's possible that it could still be there in the Alps somewhere" among modern Europeans. "But, if so, it's very rare and has not spread any further than that."

Richards suspects that Oetzi, who was about 45 years old when he died, was at the end of his genetic line, or near the end. But he plans to seek samples of mitochondrial DNA from a thousand or so current denizens of the eastern Alps to be sure.

If Richard's hunch is right and he doesn't find any modern mitochondrial matches to Oetzi, that won't finally settle whether he has living descendants. He wouldn't have passed on his mitochondrial DNA, since it only goes through the maternal line. Anyone living today who had matching mitochondrial DNA would have inherited it ultimately from Oetzi's sisters or aunts. But Oetzi might have had sons, who would have inherited his Y, or male, chromosome.

So Richards and his colleagues are thinking of sequencing Oetzi's Y chromosome, which has about five times as many genetic elements as the mitochondria. If it has a mutation profile that matches a contemporary European's, it would mean his line didn't die out after all.

Why does it matter? For one thing, scientists are keen to know more about who Oetzi was and where he came from.

He lived in the Copper Age, just preceding the Bronze Age; in fact he carried an ax that was almost pure copper. Fifty-three hundred years ago Europe was home to settled agricultural tribes, but anthropologists know little about the movements and cultures of people from that time.

Analysis of stable isotopes of minerals from Oetzi's teeth " which reflect geographic origins of dietary constituents " suggest he grew up south of the Alps. But further genetic analysis might indicate where his ancestors came from as well as where his ancestors lived.

Ann Stone, who directs the Arizona State University's molecular anthropology lab, calls the cloning of the iceman's mitochondrial genes "kind of cool, but not earth-shattering."

Geneticists like Stone typically collect data from large numbers of people to determine when populations got established. For instance, they can determine when humans first migrated out of Africa or crossed the Aleutian land bridge to North America.

"From a population perspective," Stone says, "a sample size of one is difficult to do much with."

Richards agrees. "Oetzi has become a famous figure, a celebrity," he says. "So the idea that some people today might be related to him was intriguing. It's a bit like being related to Henry the Eighth."

If Oetzi truly turns out to be the end of his line, his fame offers some consolation: Who needs descendants if you're immortal?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,978 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:42 pm
Thanks for that article, Boss. Usually, i see the Iceman mentioned in silly stories alleging a curse attached to his discovery and handling his remains. It is good to see a serious account of the research which the find of his remains has sparked.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:51 pm
@Setanta,
If it had been silly, I would have passed it over.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
verra cool, EB.

Good to see the settin' guy back, as well...
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:57 pm
@Rockhead,
ditto, rock.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:17 pm
Fascinating, edgar. Thank you for posting that. I recall reading in the National Geographic a couple of years ago that Oetzi was murdered, killed by copper-tipped arrows while fleeing some pursuers. But that's apropos of exactly nothing.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:23 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I read that too, Merry. I know someone who did research on the botanical plants and mushrooms he was carrying. There are a couple of good books about the iceman, but both were written before the discovery of the arrows. I felt incredibly sad when I learned that he was murdered. It made me think that humans are hopelessly cruel.
Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If it had been silly, I would have passed it over.

Sad Well, I guess that leaves me out.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 04:33 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:

It made me think that humans are hopelessly cruel.

Thay have a long history of doing worse things than that, GW.
Maybe if the victim had been better armed . . .

I bet the victim woud have LOVED
a sweet little submachinegun when he NEEDED it.

David
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:09 am
Oetze has given us a snapshot of post neolithic life. The scientists must be forgiven for their desire to "mine" every bit of data from the cadaver . Im surprised that there hasnt been a compilation book of ALL these data and the conclusions drawn to date. Maybe by next Christmas, who knows.

There had been several discrepencies in the C14 data I understand. Apparently the lime deposits that were incorporated into his garments and his body, had carried with it some C14 that was of older age, thius giving some anomalously older dates. The stat curves had several outliers that were reportedly in the 20 to 25K year ages . Happily, the method was self correcting by virtue of multiple redundant samples which showed that the old ages were actually outliers.

Samplingmethods are always critical when dealing with chem tests of ancient stuff.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I bet the victim woud have LOVED
a sweet little submachinegun when he NEEDED it.

Maybe he was a bad guy. Perhaps he was a thief stealing food. If he had a more powerful weapon he could have killed the fathers and sons of hardworking farm families before they knew what hit. He could have used his gun to be a sniper and pick off children as they walked out to gather nuts and berries. He could hold the weapon to the heads of the wives and daughters and rape them. No I don't think guns give me a better feeling about humans. Guns have created far more sorrow than good in this world.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:42 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:

Maybe he was a bad guy.

Maybe.

Quote:
Perhaps he was a thief stealing food.

Perhaps worse than THAT, judging from the reaction.

Quote:

If he had a more powerful weapon he could have killed the
fathers and sons of hardworking farm families before they knew what hit.

If he were only generally malevolent,
he coud just set fires, while thay slept to accomplish that goal.

Quote:

He could have used his gun to be a sniper and pick off children
as they walked out to gather nuts and berries.

SMGs are short range weapons, not well suited for sniping.
Thay r considered pistols.
What u describe is a shameful waste of precious ammunition.
He 'd be stingy with his ammo. In such a case, the defending
children woud need defensive gunnery.

Quote:

He could hold the weapon to the heads of the wives
and daughters and rape them.

That 's not advisable; awkward, with his flanks hanging out undefended.
He coud be disarmed, to his detriment.

Quote:
Guns have created far more sorrow than good in this world.

I don 't think that 's true.
Without guns, we 'd not be at the top of the food chain.
It was annoying, somewhere in the middle thereof,
when large cats or wolves, etc. arrived for lunch.

We 'd be using less effective defensive instruments
like rocks n wooden clubs.

David

0 Replies