my mother is in the cardiac care unit

TilleyWink

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:07 pm
@jespah,
In matters of the heart there is more to it than just the medical issue there is something else all the docs that care the ICU nursing staff and medical aides. In my experience in the cardiac ICU I witnessed many miracures including my own.

With you at her side there is no way your mom can loose.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:54 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks everybody, that's nice words you said, she is reaching seventy.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:31 pm
@navigator,
I guess I'll post that one can't count on wishes and prayers for miracles in cardiac units. The body's physiology usually works one way or another.
I'd suggest you talk with the doctors as much as you can, navigator, and then research aspects of her health condition online, if you want to get into the details.

Love and care are important, at whatever state your mother is experiencing.

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:58 pm
@ossobuco,
nagivgator, I am glad that your mom is doing well enough to be moved to a regular medical unit. That's a very good sign. And the fact that a change in her treatment stopped her vomiting is another good sign. It sounds like she is receiving good medical care, and that should help to ease your mind a little.

There are many causes for a "weak heart" and I am sure that her doctor will be willing to explain her condition to you. Depending on the cause, there are many medications that can help the heart to function more effectively.

I hope your mom continues to show improvement. This is a difficult time for you, but you can find a good support team here at A2K. There are a lot of good, strong shoulders for you to lean on here. Hang in there, and know we are behind you and understand how worried you are feeling about your mom.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:16 pm
@firefly,
Are you so sure her doctor may be willing to explain, firefly? Doctors are swathed in cultural differences too.

Navigator may or may not be in place for understanding cardiology and medications, even if he were allowed to see charts.

I hope his interest will trigger explanations from the doctor or doctors.
firefly

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:11 am
@ossobuco,
I do not know where Navigator lives, ossobuco. But why would a doctor, anywhere, be unwilling to explain a patient's diagnosis or condition to a close family member?

Most cardiac problems can actually be explained rather simply--there is no reason to see charts or to have elaborate explanations about the precise actions of medications. Basically, the heart is a pump, and most doctors can give a reasonably simple explanation for why that pump is not functioning effectively (muscle damage, valve problems, irregular rhythms, etc.), as well as explaining any associated coronary artery problems and the purpose of the medications given to correct problems.

Sure there are cultural differences, but cardiology is still cardiology no matter where you are in the world. If doctors want compliant patients they do answer questions about the treatments they prescribe and how those relate to the patient's problem.

Where cultural differences might enter in, is in how free the patient or the family feels in questioning the doctor, and whether they feel entitled to answers. Some doctors are more forthcoming with information than others. Navigator is obviously concerned about his mom, and he seems to have unanswered questions--perhaps because the questions were never asked. He should question the doctor until he understands the nature of his mother's problem, the treatment that is being done (and why), and her prognosis.

I do believe that any good doctor (anywhere) should be willing to answer such basic questions. But they might not bother to offer explanations unless the patient or family starts asking direct questions. Like you, I hope that if Navigator asks questions, his interest will result in explanations from doctors. There is no logical reason why any doctor should be unwilling to offer explanations. Patients and close family should feel entitled to answers--the consent for treatment actually rests on an understanding of the problem being treated.

It's also better, I think, for Navigator to get the explanations directly from the doctor caring for his mother rather than to do a lot of reading on the internet. The internet is fine for very general information about cardiac problems, but the information can also be misleading because it does not take into account all of the particular variables involved with a specific patient. The treating doctor can be much more specific.

Anyway, I hope that Navigator is able to get whatever information he seeks and that it will help him to better understand his mom's condition and her prognosis.

I have assumed Navigator is a "he", but I really don't know whether that is the case. If Navigator is a "she", I do apologize for that.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:29 am
@firefly,
Navigator lives in the middle east, and is very quiet about location. Where he lives is none of my business.

Quoting you, firefly, whom I often agree with, even - indeed very often - though I don't post that much re that, this time I don't.

"Sure there are cultural differences, but cardiology is still cardiology no matter where you are in the world. If doctors want compliant patients they do answer questions about the treatments they prescribe and how those relate to the patient's problem."

Sorry, I see this sentiment as wishful, though some may act it out. But, in the u s, the neg of this is only now working its way out the door, if indeed it is... re straightforward question answering.

Joeblow

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:42 am
@navigator,
navigator wrote:

I love her.

This made my eyes well up.

I know it's very hard to bear sometimes when we love them so much.

Try not to worry too much if that's possible. Make sure you get enough rest and eat properly, too. I really believe It will help you be a comfort and support to her, and help you to cope as best as you can.

Every good wish to your mom navigator, and to you.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:47 am
@navigator,
The following information about "weak heart" may be helpful:

http://boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@.89a97956!thdchild=.89a97956

BBB
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:25 pm
Hi everybody and thanks for being with me. I was called yesterday from

work in order to sign x-ray paper. My sister was there but she told them that I

must take this step. I asked what this xray includes, and they told me it's

ctscan brain which I don't know much a bout. I think it includes injecting the

patient with some kind of medicine that will dye him.

Anyway, I went there to sign the paper, and guess what I found. I found my

mother and sister ready to go . The doctor discharged her and gave her an

appointment for the xray as I was abit late.

Now, my beloved mother is home, and they told her to watch the salt, fatty

food.

I'm happy now.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:26 pm
@navigator,
Glad to hear it, dude...

(hugs to Mom)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@navigator,
Congratulations, Navigator.
All is well

David
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 10:19 pm
@navigator,
Wonderful news, navigator! So good to hear.
jespah

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:51 am
@Merry Andrew,
Whew! Smile
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
@navigator,
Hey Navigator

Sending you healing wishes for MaMaNavigator. When is she having the CTscan? Take care of yourself too. Best wishes.
firefly

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@Izzie,
Wonderful news, Navigator! I hope your mom will continue to do well.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 03:55 pm
@navigator,
My heart goes out to you navigator. I wish you and your mom the best!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:02 pm
@navigator,
Hi navigator.

I'm glad to hear that your mother is home now. Will it be easy for you (your family) to assist your mother in maintaining a good diet plan that will assist in her long-term recovery and health?
navigator

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks everybody. Hi ehBeth, yes it would be easy to assist her. I'm afraid though from my mother that she would be stubborn again. For the couple of days she is doing regarding sticking to the right diet.

Also, I would love to know more about this ct scan brain she is going to do. I understand she must be injected with some medicine first.
DrMom

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:34 am
@navigator,
Hello Navigator, Welcome to A2k.
I would be happy to answer any questions you have re; your Mom.
I am wondering if she has a doctor outside of the hospital. That could keep her from being in the hospital again. I am also wondering why the CT scan with contrast was ordered and then she was discharged without it. Were there any questions re; her mentation.
You should have received information re; CT scan in the paper that you signed.
CT scan gives pictures of Brain in Crossestions and contrast enhances the quality and detail of those pictures. Contrast can be hard if your kidneys are not functioning well . Again does she have a Primary care Doctor?
I must agree with Osso sadly though re; communication and doctors.
Medicine being a business, time spent on communication does not maximize profit or increase shareholders wealth. Sad situatuion. Acquiring knowledge and using common sense is what I would do !!!